where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Rasmiboland Canary and the topic of a long tail

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Rasmiboland Canary and the topic of a long tail

Everyone in case no one has ever heard of what was being discussed on another thread, the Rasmiboland Canary is a canary type bird created and out of Iran. This in and of itself is probably why very few people have ever heard of the bird. Type in Rasmiboland Canary into your browser if you wish to see one, only because I can't figure out how to ever copy a picture into this site. Anyway, this bird was developed to have a really long tail, otherwise it appears like a Yorkshire with a long tail. Why I have written this is for a different reason. There was a question asked about lengthening a tail. Well besides this breed having one which has been bred specifically for it, there is only one way that question would apply.

In certain breeds of canary, specifically the Gloster one would want a short tail, because it shows the form of the bird the best. This means the ideal show winning Gloster is usually a young unlighted bird, or current year bird who has not gone through its first adult molt. If a bird hurts its tail, and is forced to grow a new one it will always grow in longer. This is a one time event, meaning the young birds tail will be shorter, then its adult tail will be longer, it will not ever get any longer than what it shows as an adult bird, so DO NOT go pulling the tail feathers thinking each time it will get longer, it will not.

The other two times anyone would pull tail feathers, which is actually named, "Tailing a Bird", would be if the tail again was damaged and you wanted to allow it to correct and grow back in before a show. Keeping in mind it can take as long as two months for it to be completely back in. Lastly because this comes up a lot, if you have a hen who is just plan out broody, meaning continually keeps laying eggs and won't stop. An old technique is to tail the bird. What it does is trick or trigger the bird into the molt. When hormones get out of whack, and the hen just won't move normally from breeding to the molt, as it should, tailing the bird will trigger the hormones to switch to the molt. No worries in doing this since the one of the first things to happen during the molt is for the bird to drop its tail and flight feathers anyway.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,243 Posts

Re: Rasmiboland Canary and the topic of a long tail

As usual, Rudi, you are always kind to post information here and I always come away with information I never imagined in the life of canaries. Thank you for sharing this info. Have a great day!

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Ellen, thanks, I thought I had to add this thread incase he or someone got the idea to keep pulling tail feathers. I had just read an old article from the 50's in Cage and Aviary Magazine, were people where purposely pulling tail feathers in the young to pronounce the length of certain breeds for show. Understand why they did it, but feared since I have seen this in other places, I'd comment on, this only works once. Many people think if it worked once maybe I can keep doing it and wow, what would I get. Well no, it only works once and all you will get is a bird without a tail after a while.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thanks Rudy. The Rasmiboland Canary with its long tail is beautiful to me. You are always just full of amazing facts about Canaries.

One time my daughter was in her room and Boomer flew down next to her and she accidently sat on his tailfeathers. It made Boomer take of flying but poor Boomer had his feathers stuck under my daughters rear so all his pretty tailfeathers were pulled out. Poor Boomer had a duck butt for weeks!! It is sort of odd when you think about how some birds will have these super long tailfeathers and then some like lovebirds have short little tailfeathers. Birds are just so amazing and beautiful in their own special way depending on what breed it is.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Understand and been there. I accidently mishandled a show bird last year, loading it up for a show the next day. She took off and out came all of its tail feathers. When the judge saw the bird, she said OHHHH, poor baby has no tail feathers, which obviously would immediately take it out of any contention. After the show, the judge came up to me and said was that your bird, I admitted it was. She asked me why I entered the bird in the show in that shape. I said, it was a mishap and since the bird chose to take off, after all of the training I did with it, I assessed her a penalty and entered her anyway. If she didn't want to go to the show, her little tantrum wasn't keeping her out. HA - I actually entered her to show novices and anyone else, even top seasoned winners, make mistakes, we are all human.
    Funny thing is also amazing in regard to any feather, but especially wings and tails. Every species has a different kind, all purposely engineered for their specific needs. Nature is amazing. They are all equipped for what their environment calls for. Speed, quickness, tight spaces, long hauls, etc. I have said it before here, nothing is more amazing than allowing a canary to fly free. They are amazing acrobats and really fast. You can watch as their tails and wings change in all directions as they turn and navigate on a dime.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

That is funny that even without tail feathers you entered her in the show still.

I love watching birds fly. My daughter has a Conure who is flighted and he so pretty flying with his long red tail feathers.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

I watched a show on birds of prey the other day. Part of it was on military engineering through scrutinized studies of falcons and owls in respect to fighter airplane designs, it was amazing. From the speed some falcons can amass and also being able to turn on a dime, then the quiet approach and wingspan and maneuverability of owls. Slow motion recording of these birds in specially designed rooms for study, was absolutely awe inspiring. Natures evolution and design is simply awesome. One could either say, they have adapted through their special needs in their environments, or say "well done God", but either way, again awesome. Birds are simply amazing creatures, all of them. I speak every now and then on canaries, and the one aspect rarely spoken about is their incredible evolutionary changes. They are the most evolved bird on the planet. Simply because we have kept them in captivity for so long, since historical records showing 1500's they have evolved and changed to meet their physical requirements do to the captivity. Yes raptors have also been kept as have parrots but neither have been kept caged so to speak. Thus the canary has evolved and lost many things it physically would need in the wild, but no longer need them. Two being sterile gut and lack of other aspects. They are recognized scientifically as the most evolved bird that exists. So much so even arguments ensue over the two aspects I named. If in deed this is true, grit is not needed, since they rack all seeds, not eat them whole, thus not needing the grit because they don't need the crop to grind, and the other being a sterile gut, probiotics are not needed or a waste of time and money do to this physical change. Well again both aspects are still being debated and no conclusive evidence has been established yet, but both sides are arguing their own points. Me personally don't feed grit, see to many problems occur from its use, and probiotics, well I use it because if it indeed can do good, well great, but since there is no bad that can come from its use, well simple common sense says no harm no fowl, error on the side of caution and use it.

Remove Ads