Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wing Clipping

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Wing Clipping

Im not confident in clipping my lil guys wings but im scared theyll hurt themselves while im trying to tame them . Help

Thanks

Re: Wing Clipping

Mild, moderate and severe clip. Clipping wings is easy as. Wrap the bird in a cloth or towel (cover the head loosely, the darkness calms them) and have someone else hold the bird for you. Stretch out one wing, clip off the desired feathers, repeat on other wing.

Do NOT only clip one wing. A lot of petshops who have no idea what they're talking about, tell you it's okay to do this - it's not. 'It unbalances the bird so they only fly in a circle'. NO. It's dangerous because if the bird has a hard landing, it can very easily break it's keel (breastbone) and that is very difficult to fix.

If you're unsure, clip according to the first diagram, then if that's not enough, try the second diagram, if that's STILL not enough (some birds are strong flappers) then the last one will be needed. English budgies in particular are usually best with the first or second clip cos they're not great fliers anyway so it just slows them down.

Ideally you don't want them to drop like a rock, because they can hurt themselves, but to kind of flutter a few feet. They won't get lift, but they won't hurt themselves if they jump off a bookcase or whatever.
    If you're not confident, take your bird to a vet (preferably an avian vet because normal vets are COMPLETELY useless with birds) or a local breeder and they can show you how to do it quickly and easily.

There will be some people here who will try and talk you out of wing clipping, I believe it's a personal choice and I have no problems with clipping birds that are in outside quarantine, breeding cages etc - I routinely clip them as I'd MUCH rather them be clipped and stay put, rather than accidentally escape one day and starve to death, become prey for another animal, or get hit by a car. Done correctly it will not hurt the bird (feathers are made of keratin which is what hair and fingernails are made from, but be mindful of any feathers with a dark red shaft - don't cut these as they'll bleed profusely), and the feathers will grow back in at the next moult.

It's a shame you live so far north or I would show you how myself Best of luck!

Commission me! I paint custom pet portraits - PM me or send me a msg on facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/CarolinaLangVisualArtist

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Please consider working without clipping. Modify your environment to suit you Fid.
    Clipping should the very last resort. Accidents happen just as often to clipped birds.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Boonze
    The birds do not get a personal choice. And it should be there welfare, not some humans choice. They are gods creatures and should be treated with the respect they deserve. Not handicapped for a humans convenience.
    It is a shame you think the way you do. I am always so happy when clipping back fires on those that practice this criminal act. Sweden has made this an illegal practice and I do hope the rest of the world follows their lead.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Ok guys , this is not going to be forever . These two birds are new to me, scared of everything , I cannot even get them out without them freaking out .I want to have some kind of relationship with them but I have a very open plan house and high ceilings and cannot contain them to one room, its horrible chasing them around when its time to go back in their cage . I just want to get them use to me and to calm down then I will stop clipping . Thank you very much Boonze that diagram is awesome and I sooo wish we lived closer too
    Also can 2 boys and a girl live together happily?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Clawnz would you rather be handicapped from flying for a month and end up with a beautiful loving relationship or be handicapped by fear of everything/the world for the rest of your life ? I only want the best for my feather babies and I cannot stand them being so constantly terrified of every movement .

Thanks

Zeeza see didn't I tell you? There's always someone - ignore him and do what you think is best (or better yet, consult an avian vet and ask their opinion - they are luckily unbiased most of the time and will always have a balance of what the owner needs and what the bird needs in mind).

Clawnz: The birds are fed, sheltered, interacted with and completely cared for by their human owners (yes, owners - humans own their birds like any other animal). They also generally live a longer time than their wild counterparts. In return they must put up with some of our practices, I think that's a fair trade considering wing-clipping is not permanent.

I think if you love birds so much, it's indeed a strange thing to be happy about when wing-clipping backfires on them or their owners. What an odd way of thinking.

Sweden is far too PC in a lot of areas for it's own good, so I'm glad the rest of the world isn't following in that particular regard. I for one will always clip my birds' wings if I see fit, and I'm glad other nosy people don't have a say in that.

Commission me! I paint custom pet portraits - PM me or send me a msg on facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/CarolinaLangVisualArtist

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

No I would not. Working with birds is never easy. It takes time and good interaction to bond with a bird.
    I guess i am lucky as I make that connection very easy and do not see this panic where birds fly into things.
    You need to keep them caged Until they become used to you and their evironment.
    Even wild birds can become at least semi tame, where they do not panic when someone comes near them.
    Look at Barbara Heidenreich and what she does with all sorts of animals. None of the birds she works with are Clipped. If a bird does not want to interact, it should have the ability to fly off. Using force to gain your wants does not cut it as far as I am concerned.
    Go and look at when I got Sophie. She was parent raised aviary bred fully flighted and yet I put her on my shoulder and drove 400kms with her.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Great to hear you think Dominance is the way to inflict handicapping on a flighted animal.
    Don't worry Aussy is looking at introduction of more regulations.
    So far it is only Unweaned babies. But they are getting there.

And as for AV's They will tell you to clip same as they tell you to feed pellets. No science behind that. Just opinions as too many birds escape.
    Which is a joke really when you do the numbers. A large number of tame flighted birds do get found and even reunited. How many clipped (Handicapped) ones get found? very few, they die.
    Keel bone damage (which is normally fatal) happens mostly with clipped birds.
    Crashing mainly freaked out birds or clipped ones.
    You are welcome to your opinions. Hopefully one day you will consider the bird over your sad 'I want" attitude.
    We are their guardians, and should not look at it the way you are. Ownership What a load of ****, they are not an item for gods sake, they are a living animal.
    When it back fires yes I am happy the bird reacted the way it should as it means it was not too humansied to understand what the dominating human just did.

The saddest sight here is taking in a bird that has to sit around or climb, while watching everybody else cage free fly around doing things.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

If they are terrified now. How Do You figure clipping is going to help then?
    Surely you can see this may make their fear even worse.
    A bird only knows flight from danger not stand and fight.
    Please consider what you are contemplating. Do what you feel in your heart is better.
    Work with Positive Reinforcement Training. It works.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

I would hope you have the ability to put yourself in the pace of a precious little bird. When GOd created you, he gave you "beautiful wings". And the SOLE purpose for those wings was for you to fly! They are the heart and soul of your body and of your life. I am not in support of wing clipping, and I will never be. If a bird's wings are not clipped properly (even with the best of Technicians), then they may never grow back their flights at all and be handicapped for the rest of their life. And, quite frankly, clipping their wings is handicapping them for their lives.

Your decision has to be your very own. You have come here to the forum to post and I am here reading your posts and sharing my thoughts. One day, in my view, you may regret ever having clipped their wings. Only time will tell.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

The word should say "place" of a precious little bird. A bird is no different than a human. I think of all of the humans in this world who are disabled, for one reason or another, and cannot use their arms or legs. They must use a "wheelchair", or some other means of getting around. I can only imagine how they would feel, day after day, and year after year, not being able to use their arms or legs, so I sure can identify with a precious little bird and its wings. I can easily pretend to "feel" like a little bird with my wings clipped and my freedom and my heart and soul taken from me! Remember, I am a precious little bird that was created to "fly" FREE, with no restrictions!

I feel there is a line that ALWAYS must be drawn in the sand when it comes to bird care. Professional breeders are just that. They are breeders. Most take great care of their birds, before rehoming. Just recently, Boonze had to "cull" a precious little budgie, because she says it was not good stock and could make her other flock members sick. She made that decision from the left side of the line in the sand. She is a breeder, so she can cull (kill) her babies that she feels are not good stock and evidently not have any after thoughts about it.

Now the other line in the sand, the right line, is from a person like me . . . a person who LOVES birds . . . . and would never want to injure or hurt any one of them, let alone have to kill them. I am no breeder, and quite frankly if I was, I still would not be able to kill one of my baby birds.

So I would suggest that every time you watch your little lovies struggle to fly as a normal bird, perhaps you might think of that line drawn in the sand.

Name
    Charlie
    Thanks

Just a quick one... I have trained 3 fully flighted cockatiels all with previous bad pasts without issue trust me when I say I do understand where your coming from in wanting to clip I first thought it was never going to work but with simple changes it can...
    The only who has ever gotten in to an accident was the one who was clipped when he arrived it's been 7 months and his flights still haven't grown back.

Clipping has to be your choice and yours alone but if you do have it done I would suggest a vet do not for you... if you think they are scared of you now they will be even worse if you do it yourself.
    Gone from our sight, But never our memories, Gone from our touch, But never our hearts

Princess Leia - Storm - - Yoda - Hunny & Suga

Odin Poppy Pheobe Spice Frodo Ari

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Boonze, I am quite surprised that you feel a member here should just ignore my posts. To me, the word "forum" means that each of us have joined as a member to contribute our thoughts and opinions.

For the sake of any more confusion in this matter, I will not be making any more comments to your posts. Thank you!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I was after opinions , yes ! But rely I d fee for these birds cliping is the way to go. Tday they have accepted my had on their cage (strawberry fo incentive) but they are just straight out hand shy, the lady igot them from was quite rough and I need to show them that sitting on a hand isnt aways going to be a horrible experiance . I wil keep everyone posted even if I decide ive made the wrong decision. Although I feel Gizmo and Gadget will accept this and be happier birds for it. Thank you everyone for your opinions , greatly appreciated.

Remove Ads