Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgies don't want

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Nidhi
    Thanks

Budgies don't want

Hi everyone,
    This is my first post here. I got a pair of budgies (Male & female) and I was told they have mated before. They are in a separate cage with a nest box. I notice the male spending a lot of time in the nest box but the female most of the time stays out. Will go in occasionally for a little while & then come out. I don't see them preening or even playing with one another. Even when out of the nest box, they are not even sitting close to one another. Not sure, what to make of this. Are they strangers to one another or just not interested in mating any longer? They are both above year & a half above & definitely of opposite sex.

Help, Suggestions please!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Budgies don't want

Hi and welcome to the community. Did you just recently get them? Personally, I would take the nest box out until about the first of March, and let them adjust to their new environment living with you. Spring is a good time for breeding. You can watch for signs of hormones in the female when her cere, the spot above her beak becomes brown in color rather than light tan or ivory.

I would just let nature take its course. If the hen were to lay eggs, then you can consider putting the nestbox in the cage. Also, I would go on line and read all I could about breeding budgies, because breeding is not easy by any means, and many things can go wrong in the process. Once you read and study, you will know what to expect, and how you can help make it a success.
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-15-2015 at 06:35 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Nidhi
    Thanks

Re: Budgies don't want

Hi Ellen, Thanks for the response! Sorry, I was away on vacation & hence took me longer than expected to reach out to you!

Have a follow-up question, I notice both my budgies staying in the nest box. I am in Seattle, Washington & sure its cold but the indoors temperature is anywhere between 68-72 F. I wonder if they are cold & hence decide to stay in the nest box. Would you recommend taking the nest box out and maybe moving the birds to a different preferably even warmer place in the house?

Thanks!

Remove Ads