where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eggs on hatching!

Name
    Art
    Thanks

Question Eggs on hatching!

Hi all, my name is Art and I have just decided to breed love birds. My female has laid 7 eggs, the first on the 27th of oct.. My problem is none have hatched yet. They all are veined, wine color inside with air pockets. I'm very nervous that something is wrong. She is a great mother and has never left the nest unless needed too. Someone make me feel better?
    Last edited by ArtL; 11-23-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 1,283 Posts

Re: Eggs on hatching!

Hi Arthur and welcome to the community. Lovebird incubation is generally about 23 days, and the eggs should hatch every other day once that 23rd day, or approximately that day rolls around. The chicks hatch every other day, so you are still in the hatching cycle for most of the eggs. Sometimes with the first clutch, the first few eggs may not be viable/fertile. From what I understand from your post this is her first clutch, so it will not be unusual that some of them may not hatch. And further, sometimes the pair mate while she is still laying eggs, so those eggs laid toward the end of the clutch may be what I call a "second clutch", and you very well could still see some of them haatch.

Did she lay them in a wooden nest box that is generally used for breeding, or did she lay them in some other "nest", or even on the cage floor? The wooden nest box is ideal, because when a hen lays eggs the environment must be a certain temperature, and the box is a sole purpose for protecting the eggs and the hen, so when she does set on them they are getting the right amount of heat from her. She turns the eggs regularly so that the eggs are incubated completely around thus when the eggs hatch the chicks are formed correctly, and they are alive.

Does the male have any desire to be of help to her? Does he ever go into the nest box, or the nest, or does he stay out of the way of the nest? Generally, when the eggs hatch, or are about to hatch, you will see the male become very active, and get involved in the feeding of the babies when they are hatched.

We have very educated love bird breeders here on the forum, and they stop by every few days. So, I would suggest that you have patience and wait for them to see your post. They would be able to address your concerns.

In the meantime, I would not disturb the nest, because 7 eggs are alot of eggs for one hen to incubate. And since the eggs hatch every other day, there still is a possibility that some of them may hatch. Disturbing the set up of the box, in any way, will more than likely cause her to abandon her eggs, and you do not want that to happen, for sure. So I would not disturb the box or the hen in any way.

I hope to see you often on the forum, and do keep us posted on how things are going for you.
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-23-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

Incubation is generally 21-23 days, but to be sure to not do something wrong you can add 7 more days. Of course this count has to be done for the last egg. If nothing happens after that you can remove the eggs.

Name
    Art
    Thanks

Hi and thanks for the quick response. I now have a light at the end of the tunnel . To answer your questions, yes she was in a wooden box attached to the outside of the cage. (See attached pict. on first post) The male has been great. Feeding her, guarding outside at all times but, last 3 days has been inside with her alot.

Name
    Art
    Thanks

Hi Stephane and thanks for your input. I have it all marked on my calendar.

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

What specie of lovebird it is? It's not important I'm just curious

Name
    Art
    Thanks

Peachface.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

The person that responed with the longer reply is correct about the eggs hatching. I looked at all the eggs, and found them all to be good, normal eggs. You will get some baby Lovebirds from these eggs. It is fun to watch baby birds grow from birth to adult stage.

Name
    Art
    Thanks

OMG...I went to bowling at 3:25 this afternoon and figured I'd take a last look and surprise there was a baby. Got back from bowling and checked on baby there was 2. Thank you all for your post,s guess being my first time I was a little anxious. Tks again!

Name
    Art
    Thanks

Do I take out the shells from the babies or leave them for the mom to take care of?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, Arthur. Just leave everything exactly as it is in the box. You don't want to risk the chance she could abandon her eggs and the babies by touching anything inside. You can, of course, lift the lid and look inside on occasion, but I wouldn't do that real often. After all of the eggs have hatched, and the chicks are growing and thriving, they will crawl out of the nest box. When that happens you can clean the inside somewhat. The hen and male will take care of the shells. I suspect they push the shells aside with their beaks. Generally, two eggs never hatch on the same day. That is quite interesting for sure. Perhaps one of the eggs may have been laid during the night, and then later that same day another egg was laid. I feel that is quite rare.

I bred a pair of budgies a few years ago, and I never touched the babies nor the inside of the box until the 4 babies crawled out of the box and perched on the perches in the cage. Of course, 4 babies are a perfect size family. 7 babies will fill the box, and you may not be able to wait as long as I did to clean them up, but for now, leave everything as it is, and hopefully, all of the eggs will hatch for you.

I'll be praying all goes well! Do keep us posted, Arthur! I'm excited for you!

Name
    Art
    Thanks

Thanks again Ellen, I will update as time goes on. I know I will have many questions as the new babies hatch. Not sure how the hen will be able to keep up if all hatch.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I know you will monitor the pair and the chicks. With that many eggs, you need to watch the hatchlings carefully, especially the eggs that will be hatching later, because you are correct that the parents will have a big job trying to feed all of them. When you observe the baby chicks, look for pink feet, and no areas of the body that might look"blue" in color (skin). These would signal the babies are not getting enough nutrition. If that happens, then you will need to remove one by one of those who look like that, and hand feed them. And then return them to the nest in the same place as much as possible.

I would go to a pet shop and pick up some "baby bird powder formula" in a can, and a plastic syringe. I would have it on hand just in case you need it. Also, I would do some research on-line before this happens. Go to "youtube" and search for: Hand feeding baby lovebirds", OR "Hand feeding baby budgies, OR baby cockatiels. The hand feeding really is the same approach for all species.

There are great videos that will show you how owners feed their birds. If you get to that stage, be sure to update here and we will try to help you any way we can to keep them alive and healthy.

Unless you see problems like this I would continue to let the nest be untouched as best as possible and the parents to continue caring for them.

The nest box will be full of babies for sure, and when they get old enough, they climb out of the box one at a time, but not all at one time, so you have some time to go as yet.

Handfeeding really isn't all that difficult. You most likely will have to feed small ones like this about 3 times a day, and "maybe" even once in the middle of the night. When you google the feeding as I wrote above, also google: Sounds of baby birds that are hungry. This sound will put you upon notice that those you are feeding need to be fed timely. When you feed with the syringe, you put the formula in the side of the mouth in tiny amounts, and keep feeling the crop (throat) area, to see that you are filling it, but never overfill because the food will asparate into the lungs and cause them to die.

We will pray that you won't need to hand feed and that the parents do their job well, and that the babies will thrive and grow normally.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I came back to take another peek at the bird eggs again today. They look like good,

Name
    Art
    Thanks

Hi everyone, just an update. I now have 4 chicks and waiting on the last 3. Again, since this was my first time a guess was a little nervous when they weren't hatching as they were suppose too. Thanks again for all your support

Remove Ads