Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgie has watery poop

Name
    Amelia
    Thanks

Budgie has watery poop

Hi, my budgie Harley is about 7 weeks old. He has been doing really well up until yesterday when I gave him a treat of a Trill brand Honey stick which has honey, seeds, currant and apple. He loved it but by the end of the day I noticed his poop was changing, and today it is watery. I took the honey stick out of his cage, and just left his normal budgie seed and filtered water.
    He is still eating and flying around, and playing with his toys. Not puffed up or looking slow and sick.
    I am assuming I introduced the honey stick to early for his age.
    Now should I just leave it and wait to see how he is by the end of the day? now midday here....
    Or is there something else I should do ?

Many Thanks

Love The Hand That Feeds You

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Budgie has watery poop

I would stick with the seed and not give him the honey sticks. Really birds should not have the sweet things but that's just my opinion.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

I agree with Deanna. It probably was the honey AND apple combination. Sugary foods should not be fed to birds. I also try to eliminate salt from their diet, such as potato chips, popcorn, etc. Saldy, sometimes the retail stores sell these items and the companies that make them sell them of course. I would stick to organic and fresh foods. You can give Harley some fresh apple slices that have been washed in a little vinegar and water solution, to be sure the bacteria or germs would not be on the peelings, or you can peel the apple and feed it. Also, fresh lettuce (not head lettuce, it has too much water content and the droppings will be loose), or cilantro. Also feed some small pieces of whole wheat bread. My budgie loves his bread, especially for tearing it apart in little pieces, and throwing them on the floor!

Keep a good eye on Harley today. If you see him being all fluffed up, or sleeping on his perch, or not being active, then you would need to call an Avian Vet or regular vet ASAP! Birds do hide their illnesses, so it is best to get him to the Vet immediately, if he continues to have the runny poops, and displays any of the symptoms of illness I just described.

Awww!! I LOVE the picture! Harley is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Thanks for sharing the picture, and keep us posted on how he is doing.
    Last edited by maxollie; 12-02-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Name
    Amelia
    Thanks

Thank you very much: He still has watery poops, but the vet said to give it a few days to work through his system, he was to young for the honey and fruit stick I gave him, to much of a change of diet to fast. He is still active, playing with his toys, and eating and drinking lots of water: So I hope it works through his system soon:
    If not in one more day, back to the vet :

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Aww! Thanks so much for the update Amelia. I always say birds are like guinea pigs (no negative remark), and we just have to find what will work with their diet and won't work.

It is great you took him to the vet, and now, if you ever need one, you have a connection with one.

Do keep us posted. I will be praying he will be completely well very shortly.

Name
    Amelia
    Thanks

Thanks all, Harley is doing better. His poops still a little watery, but he is very active, and eats and drinks a lot. He has started to love his warm baths, so funny to watch. He chats away all the time.

Cheers Amelia and Harley

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Thanks for the update. I'm happy to hear Harley is doing much better now. Cheers to you and Harley too!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I honestly might have done the same thing because I had no idea you could not give them treat sticks when they were young. I am just very happy he never missed a beat and was very happy and playful even though his poops were watery.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Marisca
    Thanks

Ehm just a question regarding the food. I can only find head lettuce here where I live...Will this be a problem to give the budgie?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Small amounts of head lettuce will be fine. You just might notice that the droppings may be a little looser, but it will not hurt him. Also, do not feed parsley to him, and I would eliminate any cabbage family veggiess like kale, broccoli, etc. because it is well documented that parsley has some sort of phytochemical in it that can be fatal to budgies. It affects the throat and espophagus. I had a budgie that died a few years ago as a result of feeding him parsley every day for about a year. At the time I did not know he should not be eating it. I did some research and found this information on-line. It is credible information.

When you feed the veggies, try feeding different ones so that he doesn't have the same one every day. Change them out. That way it is variety and he is not having the same ones day after day.

Name
    Marisca
    Thanks

Okay I can skip that entirely and take a different approach. We had veggie mix packs here and it's like corn, carrots, peas, ect in a packet. Can I do that? Like put it into a bowl and let him have at it? I hate parsley so I won't feed it to my bird either lol

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, the frozen packs (or fresh packs) would be great. He can have it in a bowl or on a plate. You can defrost it slightly if it is frozen. Also, you can consider chopping the veggies in small pieces. I would put some chopped in a cup or on a plate, and also some of the unchopped. You can be very creative with foods for budgies. Years ago my first budgie never ate any fresh foods, because at that time, no one ever suggested to feed anything but "seed". Times have changed, and budgies, if taken care of well and have a good diet, can live for many years . . I believe it is about 10-12. My first budgie lived 9 years without any good and fresh foods and only ate seeds. He was a miracle bird for sure.

You also can mix some of his seeds in with the veggie mix as well.

Remove Ads