Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Cockatiel laying unfurled eggs?

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

Question Cockatiel laying unfurled eggs?

I would like to breed some cockatiels. So, I have been looking for a bonded pair.
    I have been offered a good deal on a pair, they are 2-3 years old. Yes, they are male and female. The person said she is laying eggs, but the eggs are infertile.

Should I take them? Do I still have a chance of them having fertile eggs?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

Re: Cockatiel laying unfurled eggs?

How long has she been laying eggs? Has she laid eggs seasonally, or throughout the year? And does she lay them quite often or just once in awhile? For being 2-3 years old, I would think the eggs would be fertile. Has the person who is caring for them allowed the eggs to be with the hen for the incubation period, or did they only let her have them for a short while and discard them?

Do you know the history of the birds. Is the home they are now living been the only home they have been with a caregiver, or did someone else have them before this person?

Once again, many factors can figure into infertility. Have these birds been given a seed only diet, or seeds and pellets, or pellets? Have they been given plenty of calcium such as cuttlebone, and mineral block. Have they been eating the fresh veggies and other good foods?

As I had shared on another thread, cockatiels need to be in good health and be eating a good diet for a period of time, before you would ever breed them. If they have all of the above at the current home, then, in my view, something just doesn't seem right for the eggs to be infertile.

If it were me and I was going to take them, I would want to have them evaluated by an Avian vet or vet, to be sure they are in good health, and do not have any evidence of health issues.

The best chance you have for success in breeding is the birds being healthy, the environment being perfect, and the pair being compatible and capable of taking care of the young IF the eggs hatch.

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

I don't know any history about the birds since I found them on Craigslist. I don't think I can bring them to a vet before buying, unfortunately. I'm thinking maybe I should wait for a pair that has hatched babies before.
    I've been searching online and there isn't too many people saying their cockatiel's are having infertile eggs if they are bonded to a male.. I've only read that females are having infertile eggs while they are housed alone. So, it is concerning to me. I just don't want to spend money and time on them if they aren't going to be what I want..

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Again, the question has to be, is this definitely a "pair"? Maybe it is two females!

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

That is a very good point. I don't feel comfortable enough to ask for pictures of their tails and wings, haha. For all I know someone could try to lie about them just because they see an opportunity to make money.
    Though, I have never seen a "normal" solid grey female. Completely grey on the back and front, with the yellow cheek patches. Have you?

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

Actually, I'm talking EXACTLY about the coloration of cockatiel that is in your picture! Haha.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, you might have read some of my posts about my Ollie, the hen that was a chronic egg layer. She was a normal grey hen with the orange cheeks. She was a beautiful bird/spirit. She had gorgeous under wings that were very lacy. From what I have read over the years we cannot always rely upon the tails and the wings to sex them.

The picture of my avitar is my cockatiel, Sunny, a male. He is considered to be a normal grey pied, because he has a few white feathers mixed in his grey ones. And the yellow head and neck.

If you are interested in mutations, search the National Cockatiel Society. You will see some beautiful birds on that website, and they give you an explanation of the mutations.

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

Ironic, my cockatiel'S name was Sunny! She was pied but she looked like the ones I have now.. they are a mixture of white and grey? I think it's just a pied? I also have a cinoman pearl. I REALLY want a white face.

I will look up that website.
    Last edited by BirdLover3; 12-05-2015 at 02:47 PM.

Remove Ads