Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Does time affect mood of Cockatiel?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    joon young kim
    Thanks

Does time affect mood of Cockatiel?

Hello, I have full time job, so I have time to play with cockatiel after 6:00 pm. So far I managed to make him climb on my finger, but this happens only when he is cornered at specific place so far. He would avoid my finger when I try to approach as he is on desk. Does cockatiel hate playing around at late time like 9 pm or 10 pm? He still bites when I try to pet him. He still doesn't like getting out of cage, so I have to force him out. I was told that certain cockatiels that spent long time with owners would still refuse to get out of their cages. Do you think possible little time with my cockatiel is hindering progress? I try to get him next to while I do my stuff on pc.
    He does climb on my finger. I make him practice climb up almost everyday. Though I think he feels annoyed with such exercise.

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

Re: Does time affect mood of Cockatiel?

I don't think the time of day will effect the training process. Although birds do sleep at night they usually go to sleep once you cover them up for the night. Mine are wide awake playing around untill that point.
    It will take a LOT of time to tame a bird. Does your bird bite and latch on or is just him pecking you?

I've had quite a few aggressive cockatiels. The biggest start to training them is to make them want to come out of the cage. I found millet to be a good incentive. I'd start by allowing him to eat some when he comes out (just put it down outside his cage) then move to having him eat it from your hand. At this point you can either use a small perch or your hand (depending how hard he bites) to try to teach him "step up". I currently have a female who doesn't bite but she is very skiddish. I don't know why she is this way but I don't see it ever changing. I cannot take her out of the cage, but if she sees millet her fears start to go away. I've got her out a lot more using millet. I leave the door open for her since she gets scared and overwhelmed I don't want her to feel forced to be out of her cage.
    When I was training my bird Charley he never wanted to be in his cage so it made training a lot easier. He was a biter, he would make you bleed. The end result with Charley was that if he came out of the cage to me I was able to pick him up (later on I was able to start petting him!) Without him biting me whatsoever. He actually started leaving rhe cage and searching through the house for me!
    You just have to get to know your bird, his body language, what his limits are.
    I will say I found that he wasn't as friendly as my birds who came to me tame. But then again I was a LOT less experienced with birds years ago when I had him. I could have done a lot more training with him now.

Also, if he is to go to bite you, do Not pull your hand away. Yes- it's going to hurt, but by pulling your hand away you're teaching him that when he bites he gets what he wants, which at this point is to get you to leave him alone.

I personally haven't found age to matter when training them.. Charley was an adult when I got him.

If there comes a time when he's being too much and you cannot get him back in the cage you can cover him with a hand tame and put him in the cage. Once their heads are covered they calm down.

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

I don't think the time of day will effect the training process. Although birds do sleep at night they usually go to sleep once you cover them up for the night. Mine are wide awake playing around untill that point.
    It will take a LOT of time to tame a bird. Does your bird bite and latch on or is just him pecking you?

I've had quite a few aggressive cockatiels. The biggest start to training them is to make them want to come out of the cage. I found millet to be a good incentive. I'd start by allowing him to eat some when he comes out (just put it down outside his cage) then move to having him eat it from your hand. At this point you can either use a small perch or your hand (depending how hard he bites) to try to teach him "step up". I currently have a female who doesn't bite but she is very skiddish. I don't know why she is this way but I don't see it ever changing. I cannot take her out of the cage, but if she sees millet her fears start to go away. I've got her out a lot more using millet. I leave the door open for her since she gets scared and overwhelmed I don't want her to feel forced to be out of her cage.
    When I was training my bird Charley he never wanted to be in his cage so it made training a lot easier. He was a biter, he would make you bleed. The end result with Charley was that if he came out of the cage to me I was able to pick him up (later on I was able to start petting him!) Without him biting me whatsoever. He actually started leaving rhe cage and searching through the house for me!
    You just have to get to know your bird, his body language, what his limits are.
    I will say I found that he wasn't as friendly as my birds who came to me tame. But then again I was a LOT less experienced with birds years ago when I had him. I could have done a lot more training with him now.

Also, if he is to go to bite you, do Not pull your hand away. Yes- it's going to hurt, but by pulling your hand away you're teaching him that when he bites he gets what he wants, which at this point is to get you to leave him alone.

I personally haven't found age to matter when training them.. Charley was an adult when I got him.

If there comes a time when he's being too much and you cannot get him back in the cage you can cover him with a hand tame and put him in the cage. Once their heads are covered they calm down.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Yes I would say it does.
    Once it is getting towards evening and the light is fading it is normal for them to settle.
    This may only apply to birds that have been allowed to develop that way.
    Some birds are kept up at night, these will behave differently.
    Also I feel training sessions should be when the bird is not trying to rest.
    Your limited time may hold you back a little, but if you do things well you should be able to gain his trust.
    I would say do not over force him to leave his safe zone (cage). Leave the door open and let him decide when he wants to come out.
    Treats only outside the cage and feed only in the cage, that way he at some point will want to go back there for food.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    joon young kim
    Thanks

So I have to use millet to make him get out of cage? He used to get out cage on his own, but not anymore because he hit window after he got out. So I have to use towel to wrap him and take him out. I don't think he is the type to get out with millet. When I tried to feed him millet inside the cage, he refused unlike before. I don't know what caused change in behavior.

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

Did he hurt anything when he hit the window? Like his wing? Does he have a favorite food? If food isn't a big enough incentive for him to come out then I personally would try to take him out with a towel and once he is put I would try to reward him with his favorite food. If he doesn't have one give him some of his seeds. I'd cover the cage so he doesn't just focase on trying to get back in. Some people may disagree with using a towel but this is what I did with Charlie. He learned there was nothing to be afraid of outside his cage. You should Clip his wings whilw yu have him in a towel so he cannot take off and hurt himself again.
    Have you thought about getting another bird? I'm thinking a friend who enjoys coming out might encourage him to come out of the cage.

Now, if you get him out and he is shaking bad and you can tell he's very anxious then I would try not to push it. My bird Ellie is this way. The only way she will come out is if her friend emma comes out first so I leave the door open and give millet outside the cage, but I think their normal seed would work too. Mine atleast get very excited so they can eat their favorite seeds out of the mix.

It is very strange for a bird to not want millet. I think he must be very tramatized and is now skiddish of everything from it. It will be hard to break him of it, but he just needs to be taught he has nothing to be afraid of. Over pushing him could make things worse so if you try the towel idea see how it goes the first time and like I said if he starts shaking very bad allow him to go back in the cage. The cage is his "safe" place.
    Is his cage placed near a window? If it is you should move it to a different location.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Personally, I would not be clipping his wings. That is just my very own opinion. The wings of a bird are his/her heart and soul. To clip his wings now, with the challenges you are having with him, in my view is just going to make him more difficult to handle.

Anytime a bird is out flying free in his home, there are precautions that always need to be set in place. First of all, be sure all windows are covered with blinds or curtains. Never have any mirrors hanging on the walls, and be sure there are no electrical outlets, cords, or other appliances such as microwaves, that he could either chew or end up falling behind them. Anything that is electric can be fatal.

There are some birds that simply do not like to be out of the cage. More than likely your little bird is frightened now because he flew into the wall. So, personally, for now, I would not force him out, I would not towel him, and I would just let him be inside of his cage. You can leave the cage door open, but of course, never leave it open while you are away from home. He needs to be in cage while you are away from home. I've known birds to be out of cage while owners were away that either were injured, or when the front door was opened for the owner to come back home the bird flew out of the house and flew away.

I would suggest you purchase some cherrios, grape nuts, and rice krispies. Have a separate food cup for these items, and also mix some with his seeds. You also can mix some dry oatmeal in with them. And I would continue to offer fresh veggies when you come home from work. Also, offer fresh apple slices.

While you are away in the daytime play some soft music on your CD or radio for him. Birds that for any reason become frightened will always need special care and consideration because of the trauma it has caused them. They don't have to be physically hurt, but the emotional hurt from the trauma can also affect them. Moving cages is not always a good idea for birds that are used to their cage location. Personally, I would not be moving his cage now. That could frighten him even more.

Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

I think you are impeding progress by forcing him out. Even if he was afraid to come out again after hitting that window, that would pass over time. Even Malcolm, my untame one, wanted to come out eventually. It took nearly a year for him to want to fly to the play gym several feet away, and that was only when Birdi Lou (the other cockatiel) was sitting on it. I haven't tried to force him to do anything at all, and now he is flying all over the place, trying to steal my food, etc., just like the rest of them. He still won't let me touch him but he is definitely not afraid anymore.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    joon young kim
    Thanks

So should I tell my sister not to take him out by wrapping him with a towel? Nowaday, when he is in my room, I reward him with millet when he successfully climb on my finger(which he does easily now)

I hope I am not late into playing music. I turn on radio that mostly plays soft music (not always rough. I would love to hear recommendation for channel of soft music)

I just want my bird to be next to me when I am in front of my pc. I just can't be around his cage all the time.

Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

Oh, good news that he is climbing onto your finger. So he is not scared of you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    joon young kim
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Birdi Lou View Post
    Oh, good news that he is climbing onto your finger. So he is not scared of you.
    I think he rather feels annoyed. Also, my sister told me that he voluntarily climbed on HER finger when she put her finger inside the cage during day time. She said he felt lonely. But after sitting on stand outside, he bit her again when she tried to touch him.
    He still tries to bite back when I try to pet him. I guess I should keep the pace right?