Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: What mutation and gender?

Thanks

What mutation and gender?

I got Peanut at 2 months old and is now 7 months old. I am wondering what gender and mutation he/she is?

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/...psk7b6e0cn.jpg
    Last edited by peanutlove; 01-10-2016 at 09:13 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Re: What mutation and gender?

Peanut looks to be a cinnamon whiteface, that's the same mutation as my little guy, who is 5 months old I could be wrong but I believe the spots on the back of his head indicate that he carries the pied gene but is not actually pied, meaning if he breeds with another bird that carries the pied gene they could produce pied babies.

I am going to guess male just because his face already appears to be pretty light. However, in whiteface birds once they are adults it's really easy to tell gender because the females will keep a little bit of color in their cheeks while males will have all white cheeks. That coloring may take a while to show up though as all babies start out with feathers that look like the female's.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the community! Peanut is sooooooo precious! My opinion is he/she is a cinnamon whiteface pied. I had a white face cinnamon female a few years ago and her whole body was cinnamon and then her face had the white cheeks. You can go to a website called: National Cockatiel Society. You will find information on most all of the mutations.

As to the gender, since there is some pied in her genes, it probably will take another few months before you can know whether you have a boy or a girl. You also can go on-line and search for "Cockatiel Sexing Kits". They send you a kit, and you pull a few feathers from the body send them back and then they send you the result. I don't think the cost is very high to have this test done by the kit. You also can have your Avian Vet or Vet do the test for you.

Does she/he have bars on the tail feathers. "Sometimes" that signals a girl. Does Peanut ever wolf whistle, or mimic sounds or whistle tunes, or talk? All of these generally are habits of a male cockatiel. Females are more docile and cuddly and generally they make chirps and cheeps but do not talk or mimic words, wolf whistle or whistle tunes.

I hope to see you often here on the forum.

Thanks

Well I think that Peanut is a boy because he sings. But he just doesn't sing when me or anyone else is with him, also he when he was younger he broke off his tail feathers so i can't tell. They are just starting to grow back in. Also don't some females sing?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

Yes, females do sing, and on occasion there will be a female that will wolf whistle and whistle tunes, and mimic words. When you are saying "singing", do you mean singing a tune, or just making general singing or chirping sounds?

You can go to Youtube and search for: Cockatiel hens singing and chirping. Then search: Male cockatiels singing, whistling and talking (or some words similar). Perhaps you will be able to hear some sounds on the videos that sound familiar to Peanut's singing.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Arfat
    Thanks

I recently have my breeding pair Charlie and Monica having clutches, Here is how the second clutch looks like.

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...achmentid=9979
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...achmentid=9978
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...achmentid=9977
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...achmentid=9976

One of them is similar to peanut. The father, Charlie. I bought it and was under impression that its female. Later he started whistling and lost the entire tail during molting I believe. The tail feather started growing back and all stripes on it was gone while face started becoming more white confirming its male and current champion father of the Fab 4.

Remove Ads