where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgie vs Bourke vs Linne vs Kakariki

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julie
    Thanks

Budgie vs Bourke vs Linne vs Kakariki

Hello everyone! I'm in research mode trying to determine the best birdie match for my family. I have three kids at home (ages 9, 12, 15) and a myriad of other pets. We are a pet oriented family and spend a lot of time with our little friends. It's been almost 4 years since we had a bird in our home. Inca was a Dusky Conure that I got for myself years ago. I loved her dearly, as did my children, but she liked to boss the younger ones around with her beak. After she passed away, I've been taking my time trying to decide what species to get next. My hubby is voting for something quieter than a conure (Inca thought she was a Sun). My kids are voting for something less nippy. I love them all, but I really enjoy a bird that likes being with you. I like affectionate and interactive but not overly needy. Something that enjoys being handled or sitting on my shoulder, giving kisses and getting head scratches. I know there are trade offs and not everything comes in one package. I also know that each bird is an individual. I'm just trying to educate myself the best that I can because I want to make a wise choice. We want the bird to be as happy with us and we are with him/her. I've been reading a lot (I wish there wasn't so much contradicting informations out there) about Budgies (English and American), Linnies, Bourkes, Kakarikis, and Tiels. I am somewhat apprehensive about a cockatiel because I'm worried about the dander. I do have allergies and have to be careful what pets I have (one of the reasons for my Standard Poodle and Devon Rex obsession). My Conure didn't bother me at all, but I would hate to bring home a Tiel and then find I have issues. I would love to hear from anyone who has experience with these birds and could give me some pros and cons to their personality and temperament. I live in Idaho and don't have access to many breeders to get a feel for these species in person. I'm planning to get a handfed baby, so the untame Budgies and Tiels at Petco don't really give me an accurate idea of what I'd be getting. I'd greatly appreciate some input and I'm open to suggestions! Thanks in advance!

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Re: Budgie vs Bourke vs Linne vs Kakariki

I was going to suggest a Pionus before I got to the dander part. They are queens of dander, but have everything else you are looking for.

I think a Linnie, or even a Lovebird would be a great idea for your family. Mind you, some say Lovebirds are loud, I personally, find Budgies more loud - atleast mine have all been that way. Haha. Getting a hand-fed baby from a breeder, no matter what you do, would be beneficial to your family. Much easier for them to get used to little hands and voices.

Phoebe White Capped Pionus Luna PF Lovebird Indra PF Lovebird

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julie
    Thanks

I have actually thought about Pionus and Lovebirds. I was worried about the dander with the Pionus, as you said. It might not be an issue, but without breeders I can visit to see how I react it's hard to know for sure. I think Lovebirds are the perfect size for kids, but I've read so many places that they are nippy and territorial. No? They are so darn cute, I'd love it if they were gentle with kids. I'm expecting noise, of course. I mean... it's a bird. My hubby is just hoping for something a little less ear piercing than an Aratinga. Haha! The handleability with kids is my main concern. My kids are gentle and very experienced pet owner compared to most, but they are still kids. A gentle bird that enjoys their company is important to me. I wish dander wasn't an issue, and maybe it wouldn't be, but I hate to take chances with a sweet baby and find out I can't deal with it. It's so hard to make a decision when I only have the internet to go off of! Haha! I need help!

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

In my opinion, I find the noise of budgies more shrill on my ears, then Lovebirds. However, I think others find it the other way around. But again, I really don't find Lovebirds sit and chatter as much as Budgies. As for nippiness, my Lovies mostly came from breeders and I spent a lot of time with them. I did have two that were much older when I got them and the female was a bit cage territorial. But maybe if you tell your kids, to let the bird out before touching/handling.. birds need their own space too, as I'm sure your kids know. I'm not trying to completely go the Lovebird route, hahaha, but I just love them myself and never had any issues with them with my son. My Pionus has been with us for 8 years and has never bitten a soul - she'd rather fly away from a scene than bite, but she is definitely dusty. She is quiet (we had her in an apartment for 4 years and the other tenants didn't know we had her), she's sweet, she'll just sit on your shoulder or play with toys on the top of her cage..she's very good at independent play, but if you want her with you she will do that as well. She's so good natured.

Sorry I can't give much advice on the other birds. I have heard very good things about Linnies though. I don't know what their noise levels are like though.

Phoebe White Capped Pionus Luna PF Lovebird Indra PF Lovebird

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

I have parakeets and they are very cute and entertaining. They do not naturally bite so they can be trusted with kids. My two are from petco and since the day I got them I was able to hold them and pick them up with my hand wrapped around them without them even nibbling. They wouldn't bite anyone. If you do get parakeets I suggest getting babies. The babies have stripes right from their cere(nose) all the way down the back of their necks. Adults lose the stripes in the front of the their heads. Most at the petstore are babies (4-5 months) but I do occasionally see some in there who haven't found homes yet and are a bit older. Another thing to note is parakeets when they do bite they latch on, but they don't draw blood. So it's not very painfull.

As to the pionus, I looked into the maximillion pionus birds for myself and I found they have a musk, not a dander. So, it's a sweet smell they emit, not like a cockatiel. I will say these birds are not as common so finding one may be a problem. Unless you're open to paying a high fee and possibly shipping to a breeder. The one they say is the most quite is also the maximillion pionus.

I've heard a lot of people say the lovebirds have a very loud screech which happens frequently throughout the day. This is why I never got one. I can say the parakeets can be noisy. But what do you consider noise? The frequency of their little chirps and chattering? Or how many times they screech and make contact calls? You had a conure so it won't be anywhere close to the sound of a conures screech. I've always had parakeets in pairs and they can make loud sounds but it doesn't last long. Most of the time my male does a lot of little chattering sounds. It's quite cute.

Before getting a bird I look up on YouTube videos of the bird screeching or making contact calls so I can know what to expect.

Brand New Egg the.river.is.streaming's Avatar
    Name
    Indica
    Thanks

[QUOTE=jewels;843823]
    Hello i am here to tell you that i think you should get a budgie there GREAT pets and are capable of talking can be tought awesome tricks and are very friendly so i think you should get a budgie but it is your desision and you can pic witch one you want im just saying it would be amazing to get a parakeet i hope i helped
    River and Stream
    A budgies bond could last a lifetime.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jennifer Tran
    Thanks

I have a lovebird and he's not nippy at all....unless I try to get him off his little hammock.
    I think he's just scared I'll take it away. (Which I do in the mornings and then put it back in at night for him to sleep on.)
    He loves being out of his cage and he runs around my room. I put some shredded paper into an empty tissue box and that occupies him for hours. I keep a bowl of food and water down there too, so he doesn't go back into his cage very often.
    I have heard that some lovebirds can get VERY loud, my lovie isn't. (Thank goodness.)
    And when he does start chirping, I put him on my shoulder and he stops. (:
    (This tends to be in the morning and evening or whenever a TV is on....)

He nips, but it never really hurts and doesn't pierce skin. It's like if I slightly pinched my finger using my nails.
    They're actually really sweet. (:
    Given space and love, they're great pets!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julie
    Thanks

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the input! I think I've changed my "species to consider" list to cockatiels, budgies, bourkes, and linnies. I found a cockatiel breeder a few hours away and went to visit today. I didn't seem to have a reaction. There were a few babies that I thought were sweet. I just wish I could find a breeder for the other species so I could compare and really know what I want!

Egg's Cracking... Silver_Feather's Avatar
    Name
    Natalie
    Thanks

If you have children in the house DO NOT get a Bourke. Sorry to be blunt but if your house is loud and not calm the Bourke will die from stress. They need a very calm and quiet home. I say get a cockatiel cause those are just the best family bird and and very friendly
    Peppy my sweet girl RIP my darling Harriet

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the input! I think I've changed my "species to consider" list to cockatiels, budgies, bourkes, and linnies. I found a cockatiel breeder a few hours away and went to visit today. I didn't seem to have a reaction. There were a few babies that I thought were sweet. I just wish I could find a breeder for the other species so I could compare and really know what I want!
    I've had several cockatiels over the years. I guess since they are the only birds I have any real experience with, I never really seemed to notice the dander. It also helps if they have regular baths. They are incredibly affectionate and LOVE to cuddle and be petted. I got my first cockatiel when I was 8 years old and as long as your children know how to properly handle birds I think they are good with children.

They certainly aren't "quiet" but I have also had a sun conure and I can say that they are quiet compared to a sun I suppose the females I have had have been much quieter than my males, who whistle "pretty" (sometimes) songs all day long.

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

Budgies, bourkes, linnies are all smaller birds. They won't be as friendly and cuddly as a cockatiel is. I find the small birds are just happy to be in their cage and do their own thing. Cockatiels like to come out and be with you. If you get a baby you will have a playful friend as well. If you have any questions feel free to message me.
    Emma Ellie Nala Mayzie

Egg's Cracking... Silver_Feather's Avatar
    Name
    Natalie
    Thanks

Birdlover3 is right. I love my Lovebird. But if your kids will want to interact with the bird and you want it to be a family bird cockatiel is prob the way to go.
    Peppy my sweet girl RIP my darling Harriet

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julie
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for the input. It really helped. We brought a beautiful pied cockatiel hand fed baby home on Saturday. We don't know the sex (no DNA testing done), but I'm thinking maybe male because "he" is very outgoing, adventurous, curious, and playful. Not very cuddly yet. I'm not sure if that is because he's too busy to cuddle because there are too many new things to investigate, or if he is still getting used to us and will want to cuddle more when he knows us better, or if his personality is just not the cuddly type. He's improved in the few days we've had him, so I'm still hopeful. I love cuddles. Regardless, he is adorable and we having fun with him. So much so that now I'm wondering about getting a second Tiel. Any thoughts on that? I wouldn't want to negatively alter the temperament of our existing bird or change the bond it has with us. It is very interactive and wants to be with us constantly. I don't want to lose that. Any suggestions?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Awesome! Pied tiels are such pretty birds. Give your baby time to relax and get use to you and I am sure it will become your buddy in no time. I think for now it is good to just have one bird and let it get use to you before you bring home another one. I would be worried just like you if you got another bird your baby might be more interested in the new bird then with you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julie
    Thanks

Thanks, Deanna! That's what I've been thinking.

Remove Ads