Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help! What would cause this bald spot??

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

Question Help! What would cause this bald spot??

My 9 year old cockatiel Emma has grown a bald spot. It started small and has grown. None of my other birds have any balding.. I have just started them on Oasis bird vitamins. Is this something to be concerned about?
    Emma Ellie Nala Mayzie

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Help! What would cause this bald spot??

I do not know what would cause this but I would keep a close eye on it and if it get bigger I would take her to the vets to have it looked at. It could be that she just lost a few of the feathers there naturally and you noticed it before she grew new ones back in.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

How often are you using the vitamins? Is there a list of the ingredients on the bottle? (I'm sorry, I missed this thread yesterday).

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

It's okay! Im using them every 2 days. It says to use 2 drops every day. Here is the link to it on amazon, the ingredient list is in the pictures so I couldn't copy and paste.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004QD...bML&ref=plSrch
    Emma Ellie Nala Mayzie

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

I found all the cheek feathers underneath the window... my poor bird.
    Emma Ellie Nala Mayzie

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Was it Emma who flew into the window? Or, in the alternative, maybe she did fly into the window and you were not aware of it. I looked up the ingredients in the vitamins and they all seem to be good except I will say a couple of them are pretty potent, but the list that I researched was for the entire bottle (the mgs). Personally, I would not give them even every two days. I would give them about once a week or every ten days. That is just my own opinion. And I'm not saying you are wrong. I can understand you want to get the birds back to and/or in continued good health.

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

I saw her fly into the window. She hit hard, at full speed. It sucks, I refuse to cut emma wings because I feel bad doing that. I'm creating a pvc play gym for them today and she has a lot of interest in it so maybe I can convince her and Ellie to come out more!
    It deffinitely is potent. They smell terrible! The birds don't seem to notice though. So I will limit how often they get them then. Its good to have someone elses opinion! Im new to giving vitmins and knowing which ones are best. I did look up which were most important to them and made sure they were in the vitmims. What about the breeders? Should I give it to them more often? I am giving the breeders more frequent calcium incase she does lay an egg. Oh! So.. Emma has tried mating again. That silly bird. I wish she could have babies. The pieds are really pretty to me. But her body just doesn't let her. I'm wondering if it is the male being around whose causing the hormones again (like you already suggested). She was soaking her breast feathers the other night and Nala watched her and then proceded to do the same. It was so funny seeing them all soaked! I'm going to give them a warm bowl of water and see what happens!
    Last edited by BirdLover3; 02-04-2016 at 12:31 PM.
    Emma Ellie Nala Mayzie

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I would say a couple of times a week for the breeders would be fine. I had mentioned the Wal-Mart 8 in one vitamins to you, but quite honestly, I looked at the ingredients in that bottle, and I think the one you picked is better because it doesn't have the sobitrol in it. Sobitrol and Maltrodextrin both are sugar alcohols, and I just think they give a bird a "buzz" (energy), somewhat like alcohol that people drink. Both of these are in many products we buy and eat or use. Sobitrol is even in tooth paste.

I think the feathers will grow back when Emma has her next hard molt. I apologize for not remembering which one flew into the window, and I guess I was just too "lazy" to go look up the thread? (lol) Me .... lazy???? Hey . . . when you are retired you are supposed to be lazy, right??

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

It's okay hahaha.
    Okay i will deffinitly slow down the amount im giving them. I had been giving the breeders calcium each day but i will slow that down as well.
    So I left the room for a bit and when I came back I couldn't find Emma. So I kept seeing Nala peek under beuro. So I took a look and theres Emma all puffed up and hissing. She thought she found a good nesting spot, haha! I had to take the drawer out and fight her to let me stick my hand in to grab her. They are so funny. She is EXTREMELY hormonal. She wasn't this bad when I had tried to breed her. I wish she would lay eggs, I love the way she looks and I think she would be a good mom.
    Emma Ellie Nala Mayzie

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I'm waiting for a battery to arrive the early part of next week for my laptop computer. So, I won't be posting as much as usual. The computer gets hot when I have to keep charging it with the AC cord. Thought I would give you that thumbs up, so you will know why I haven't been posting as much.

I swear to tell you, they are full of mischief. I do agree that Emma is searching for that perfect nesting place. It could be the diet you are now feeding along with the vitamins and calcium could be making her feel much better and the hormones could be kicking in. It is only about 6 weeks or so away from Spring. I think she would be a beautiful bird to breed. And you know, I think all hens are good moms. Very rarely do I read of a female not taking care of her young.

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

Darn, that sucks! Hopefully it comes in quick! Thanks for letting me know.
    If I only I could convince her body to lay eggs!
    Emma Ellie Nala Mayzie

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Well it least you know why she is losing the feathers on her eye but that poor girl. Her little head has to hurt a little bit crashing into the window.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Tia
    Thanks

Yeah I was concerned if she got a concussion, but I think she is okay, thankfully!
    Emma Ellie Nala Mayzie