where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My budgie throwing out his food out of the food dish

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lucy
    Thanks

My budgie throwing out his food out of the food dish

Hi, I have my baby budgie (I think he is 4-5 months old) about a month now. Last 3 days he started throwing his food out from the food dish at the bottom of his cage. He was not doing this before and I did not change the food I am feeding him. He has 2 food dishes in the cage, leaves one but dumps the other one until the food dish is empty at the bottom of the cage. I am thinking may be he gets bored when I am at work or wants to be out of the cage, also he was a calm bird before but end of this 1 month he became very active keeps jumping in his cage and constantly moving, I let him fly twice a day (lunch and evening) when I am home. Does anyone experience this with their budgies is there a way to stop this behavior? I thought about leaving only 1 food dish, may be he wont dump it and actually eat it, but I am afraid he will dump it and be hungry not eat.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: My budgie throwing out his food out of the food dish

They go through stages of doing these kinds of strange things and I really hope he will stop throwing his food out of the bowl. My lovie would dig through his bowl and spill it out if I put too much in it so I would only give him a little bit of seed in two cups so that if he spilled it out he would still have another cup of seed to eat. They do make bowls that have covers on them but then they might not like using it because they have to put there heads into the bowl and cover. Here is a example, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...n1QaAkuV8P8HAQ
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I also have had a bird that would throw his food out as yours is doing. It went on for awhile. While waiting for that habit to wear out, I attached more millet to his cage, as I knew he would eat that. And he did. Also, the throwing food out habit did pass.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lucy
    Thanks

Yes, he was not doing anything like this first 3 weeks I had him, just recently started. I believe may be he is bored or wants to be out of the cage. Thank you for sending the link. Yeah my food container is similar to that one, he extends his head beak through the cage bars and throws it out or he just picks the food with his beak and throws it on the floor. I am putting less food in the food dish now, cuz he does not eat all of it in couple hours anyways, at least less food gets wasted. Did your birdie stopped it after a while?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lucy
    Thanks

My birdie only ate the millet when I put in the cage and stopped eating anything else, so I had to take it out. But he did not start throwing food away right after I took it out, he was eating normally only throwing away the seeds he did not like. Now it turned into some sort of game everyday he dumps one of the food dishes at the bottom of the cage and outside the cage.

Egg's Cracking... Silver_Feather's Avatar
    Name
    Natalie
    Thanks

My Lovebird did this for a while. She stopped after a few days. It's probably just a phase and your bird will outgrow it shortly. Also, welcome to the forum!
    Peppy my sweet girl RIP my darling Harriet

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

My lovie always threw some of it out if I filled it too much because he would dig through all the seeds in it looking for his favorite buckwheat seed first. After he found all of the buckwheat out of it he then would eat whatever seed was left in his cup. Hopefully this is not what your bird is doing because it may just always dig through his seed throwing it out looking for his favorite seed to eat. They can be such picky little poops sometimes!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

My budgie, Marlee is about 3 months old. She also is sitting in her food cup and scratching all of the seed out onto the flour. I do think it is because of her being very young. I found the best way to prevent the seed waste is to put only a half of cup of seed in the cup and then refill the cup up to that level a few times a day. I don't think there is a way to stop this behavior in the budgies.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lucy
    Thanks

My budgie was not doing this for the first 3 weeks I had him, he just started doing it on the 4th week. I also start putting less food in only one food dish to stop wasting so much food. I also check it couple times a day to make sure he always have food to eat. he seems to stop doing it for last 2 days, but I don't know why he started and why he stopped. Hopefully he does not go back to throwing out his food again.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It's just behavior of a baby or very young budgie. I identify it as like a little baby of 6 months old who suddenly does something really bold compared to what they have been doing. I think it will stop one of these days for good, but I would give it a few months. Once they get to be about 6-8 months old they mature somewhat and some of these silly behaviors disappear.

Name
    Jae
    Thanks

My lovebird, Peachy, is currently doing something like this. I've filled her food dish up a couple of times, and she pulls her whole dish in and dumps the food out. I don't know what to do because I'm worried she's not eating. Unfortunately, she's been grumpy and bitey every since she lost her mate (about 9 years ago, before I ever had her), so I can't touch her without getting bit profusely. She's older, so I can't imagine it's because of her age, but I really don't know what to do...

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, and welcome to the community. I had to laugh at my post I made above, because in the last few months my budgies are having a great time either scratching the seed out of the cup, by sitting in the cup, or beaking the food out of the cup onto the cage floor. And one is 5, the other is 1, so I think my theory I wrote above is no longer accurate!!

It is a habit that is hard to break. I think my two are doing it for their own entertainment!!! I no longer fill the cup, but rather give them about a half of cup. Then at the end of the day, I salvage any good seeds they thew on the floor and mix with some new seed for the next day.

I have seen plastic tube feeders, where you fill from the top, and then they eat out of a small space on the bottom of the tube. They cannot spill much that way. Check out your pet store, and see if they have these tube feeders.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

The seed feeders could be a good way to go, perhaps you could also make sure there are some forage-y options for food? Might keep their minds off throwing the bowl food away? I think birds are just out to troll us sometimes and get kicks out of watching us pick up after them!!

Remove Ads