where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Training tips?

Liddo Birb Brand New Egg LaurenCameron's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

Training tips?

Ollie and I are on pretty good terms, I've taken her out of her cage a few times and played with her. She's a very cuddly bird. However It's really hard to get her back in the cage because she won't step up, even when I offer millet to her.

Lately, she's been very sassy and will only step up if she wants to (which usually is never). Sometimes she'll try getting the millet without stepping up, or she'll just put one foot on and look at me as if she deserves the reward.

She's not afraid of my hand and she's stepped up many times before, she's actually been very comfy perched on my hand before.

She also won't stay on my finger when she's outside the cage; like when I'm taking her out, once she gets past the door she just wants to fly off. I get that I still need to work with her, and that she's not fully tamed, but I was wondering if anyone has good training tips for me? Just so I can avoid rewarding her for the wrong things or her becoming more sassy.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Training tips?

I'm super happy that Ollie is doing so well. If I did not suggest, do go to Youtube, and search: Clicker Training for Cockatiels", and "Training Cockatiels". You should be able to find some great videos of owners training their birds.

Time and patience are always on your side, and personally I think Ollie is displaying normal behavior for all tiels. They do love to be out flying, and usually, it is difficult to get them back in the cage, or get them to do much training. Another suggestion is to take her into a small room such as a bedroom, or even the bathroom, but be sure the stool lid is closed and no water in sink or bathtub. Take a wooden perch dowel, or even a pencil that has not been sharpened and use it as your step up tool. Teach her to step up on the dowel, and then reward her with the millet when she does so. If you could teach her to step up on the dowel, and then carry her back to her cage, that would be a great accomplishment for her, and you would not have to chase her to get her back to her cage.

I just LOVE Ollie! She reminds me so much of my Ollie! And looks almost exactly like her.

Liddo Birb Brand New Egg LaurenCameron's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

Alright, so I've found that she gets cranky if her cage isn't to her liking; like if she has a lot of places to perch, but doesn't cover a lot of area.
    Her cage is fine now, but a little over a week ago she turned six months old and is going through some molting. The past couple days she's been very cranky and I can only assume it's because of that.
    I've made sure she has a lot of things to chew on in her cage and that she gets exercise, and I've given her a mist bath every morning. I don't want her to start feather plucking (and I never see her doing anything like plucking feathers so I hope she's not doing it already) so is there other things I can do to get her less cranky and possibly more occupied? Usually whenever I go to play with her she doesn't seem to be in the mood.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Hi, Lauren! I'm so happy to see you here on the forum and I am so grateful that your Ollie is healthy and doing well. Yes, molting sure can change their behavior and personality for awhile. Being her first molt, she is losing all of her baby feathers, and her skin probably is hurting somewhat, and may be dry as well. The mist bath is great. That will help her skin to be more moist. Also, you can go to a health food store and pick up some organic aloe vera oil. There should be no other ingredients but the aloe vera. Mix a couple of drops of the oil with some tepid warm water, and mist her or spritz her every day or so. The oil will also help the dry skin.

I will say that cockatiels are birds that are not too adept of changing their schedules or their cages. So, along with the molting, she probably isn't the happiest camper right now. It varies how long the molt will last. It also is normal she won't want to play like she did, but still encourage her, try holding her, and letting her be near you like you always do. You might find she will hiss at you, or even bite you. I hope the bites are not hard bites, but do be on the alert for them.

As long as she is drinking, eating, and her poops are normal, then I would not be concerned about an illness. But if you see her all puffed up, lethargic, runny droppings, not eating, etc., then it would be necessary to call your Vet.

Also, at this age, her hormones are probably beginning to kick in somewhat, although I would say generally that will happen in another 2-3 months. But it varies from bird to bird, so that too could be part of this change in behavior.

Thanks for the update, Lauren. We will welcome your updates anytime. And please give Ollie some scritches from me!

Remove Ads