Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Albino budgie?

Name
    Demi
    Thanks

Albino budgie?

My little budgie, just less than one year old is a little smaller than she should be I think but doesn't cause any problem. I have seen on sites about people saying there budgies are albino and then other people saying they are only a true albino if their eyes are red. So my little Eva was completely white with red eyes when she joined our flock. Recently over the past 3 months you can now see a light blue on her tummy feathers when a light is on it. Now over the past week I can start to see a hint of yellow on the bottom of her back and really light black stripes coming on her body. Obviously its nothing serious, I was just wondering if anyone had seen this in an albino budgie before? Thanks!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Albino budgie?

I never seen a Albino budgie but your little Eva sounds like she is very beautiful! She must be either going through her first molt and getting her adult colors or perhaps her colors took a little longer to come out. I would love to see a picture of her.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Demi
    Thanks

She is beautiful, especially when the light catches on her. I've just put some pictures of her onto my profile. Hopefully this link will work. http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...chmentid=10173

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,284 Posts

Awww! She is beautiful! She looks so much like my yellow budgie, Muffin. You can see his pictures in my gallery. Instead of "albino", I would consider her to be "lutino", because she is yellow rather than white. A pure "albino" budgie is all white feathers with the red eyes. But the "lutino" budgie can also have red eyes. My Muffin also has some other feather colors, besides the yellow. On his rump area he has a very light green color. It always reminded me of the light green feather colors of a lovebird. I've homed budgies for many years, but never saw one like my Muffin. He also has black feathers on his wings.

Do not be alarmed if you see that your budgie's eyes may turn from red to a darker red color. That is because the breeding of the parents most likely was a mix of the Lutino gene, and possibly a blue budgie mutation, because of the fact your budgie has some light blue feathers coming in now. In this 21st century, there are many different mutations of budgies. Years ago basically there were the green budgies and the blue budgies. If you are interested in mutations go to a website named "Budgie Place, and on the top of the home page click onto the link "mutations". There are many different pictures there, and you just might find your little budgie's mutation there as well.

Remove Ads