Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My young budgie died suddènly

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

My young budgie died suddènly

I lost my 7 yo budgie last November and finally purchased a new one. I saw him at Petsmart and fell in love and knew I could give him a good life.** I know* buying at Petsmart was risky but after careful consideration I went and bought him a few days later. Skyler was young,* still had bars on his head, and was just starting to molt. We brought him home and for the first 5 days he sat very quite but I was able to hand feed him millet and put him on a pellet diet. He had plenty of water and I would clip a small piece of millet near his water so he would know where to find water. I would give him millet as a bonding exercise but not a huge amount.* On days six and seven he came out of his shell and was so active and so much fun. On day eight I noticed a little bit of poop stuck on his vent.* It really wasn't much. He was active, chirping and playing just like the two days prior. That night before I put him to bed I gently cleaned his vent which looked a little bumpy but not engourged.* I put him to bed and in the morning he was dead on the bottom of his cage. I am just sick over this and afraid I killed him. I was already in love with this little guy. Could it have been switching him to pellet or did he not get enough water? I want to get another, this time from a local breeder, but I am scared I might make another fatal mistake by not doing the right thing.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: My young budgie died suddènly

I am so sad that you lost your little baby Skylar. How heartbreaking that he was just coming out of his shell and loving living with you and suddenly he died. Poor little baby

I have to ask if you had been using anything in your house that might have made him suddenly die. Things like air fresheners, candles, essential oils and fabreze? Overheated Teflon pans and even some flat irons and curling irons also sometimes are coated with Teflon which when heated will put out a gas that will kill a bird. Some Petsmarts birds live long good lifes so it might have been something he was born with and hopefully not something in the air that did it. Whatever happened I am just sorry this happened to him.

Fly Free Skylar...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you for your kind words. I do not expose my birds to any toxic fumes. I had my budgie Boss for 7 years in the exact same place I had Skyler. I am worried I killed him by switching him off of seed to pellets. I did see him eating the pellets, which I ground up a little to help him get used to them, and he got millet treats so I don't think he starved.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

Hi, and welcome. First of all, I want to send you a big hug, and my sincere sympathy for the loss of your precious Skyler. We never can know 100% why a little budgie like Skyler dies. There could be many factors that contributed to his passing. And I know it is very easy to blame ourselves. I had a little budgie that was 5 years old who suddenly passed away a few years ago, and like you, I beat myself up and was really feeling guilty that he died because I had him for so long.

In his case, I did some research on-line and found that budgies should never eat fresh parsley. I was not aware of this red flag at all. Maxie loved his parsley and I fed it every day for about a year. In my reading I found that there is some sort of phyto chemical in parsley that causes budgies to get esophagus tumors, and they can no longer swallow. This was exactly what happened to my Maxie, and it was quite sudden.

One suggestion I would present to you, and as I am writing, please know that I only am making suggestions and my own opinions, and I make them in love for you and any little budgie or parrot that may be living in someones home. Over the last several years, Avian and other Vets highly recommend pellets. I would say if I were to visit 100 Avian and or other Vets, at least 90% of those vets would tell me to get pellets for my bird. Pellets are man made, and most of them basically are ground soy and corn. Some companies put a few other ingredients in them. There are some organic pellets that are of great quality. A couple of those are Tops Brand (you can find out about those by going to the Tops Bird Seed website, or you also can read about them on Amazon). And Roudybush and also Pretty Bird. Zupreem also has a pellet that is organic. There may be others I am not aware of. These pellets are all organic and generally have very little salt and sugar, or if any, corn or soybeans in them.

In my reading and research on pellets I have found that they require tons of water to be consumed by birds that eat them. And also, there always needs to be some regular budgie seed in the diet. The best diet, in my view, is a combination of pellets and seeds, and fresh veggies, like leaf lettuce and cilantro. A budgie should never eat any veggies in the cabbage family, like broccoli, brussel sprouts, the parsley I mentioned and other cabbage family foods due to that phyto chemical I wrote about. Some folks may say that all of the cabbage family veggies should not be included on that list of not to eat veggies, but I stand on the side of caution when it comes to feeding them, because I sure don't want another little budgie to die.

I've homed budgies for many years, long before the pellets became popular. In those years, my budgies only ate bird seed, had a cuttle bone, and a swing and a mirror in their cage. Back in the day many of those budgies lived a long time. My first budgie lived 9 years and only ate seeds. Fast forward about 50 years and the pellet was created, most probably because it was an "easy" food to feed, did not take long to get the pellets put in the food cup, add a cup of water, and "convenience" feeding was born. Through the last few years, it is becoming apparent that parrots, especially small ones like lovebirds and budgies, parrotlets, and parakeets, have to have a diet that is composed of several foods, rather than just pellets.

I know your heart is broken, and it will be awhile before you can find yourself able to get another budgie. However, it depends upon the person. When my little Maxie died, I immediately went and replaced him with a sweet budgie, Muffin. Muffin is still alive and is happy and healthy. Muffin does not eat pellets at this particular time. His diet is seeds, fresh leaf or red leaf lettuce, cilantro, whole wheat bread pieces, some grape nuts cereal for treats, and of course plenty of water. I also give my birds pure water, rather than tap water because of the chemicals in the water.

We also do not know if your little budgie may have had a bacterial infection, or some illness that was in his system when you got him. I would think Petsmart would replace him for you if you have not had him for 30 days. I know Petco has a policy that they will replace their birds in that period of time.

If you do decide to get another budgie, I would suggest you take warm water and white vinegar or even regular vinegar, and take a wipe, and completely clean the cage inside and outside. Also, I would remove toys, and replace them with new ones. Then when you get your budgie the cage will be sanitized and the new toys can be wiped off with a wipe of the mix of water and vinegar and placed in the cage.

As to the diet, check with your pet shop, or breeder, or wherever you might get your budgie as to the diet they are feeding. I have to say that when I got my new budgie at Xmas time, her name is Marlee, (I got her at Petco), I only saw pellets in the big aviary. I did not see seeds being fed.

My thought is to get a good seed mix and IF you want to feed pellets then here are some possibilities: Roudybush and the Tops brand are good brands, and also there is a brand called Pretty bird. You need to get crumplets or very small pieces. And as to the seed you can get a great brand called Volkman Avian Science on Amazon. Their parakeet seeds are excellent. Also if you go to a website called Dr. Foster and Smith, (a bird store), there are several good quality seed mixes on that website at all. Personally, I am not a supporter of Kaytee brand, so I would look for another brand instead.

Then when you do bring your new budgie home, feed 20% pellets and 80% seeds. Start with just a small amount of the pellets, and seeds so you won't have so much waste, and add the fresh veggies that I mentioned and the whole wheat bread to the diet. There are several websites that have lists of good and bad foods that can or cannot be fed to budgies. Google search: safe veggies and fruits for budgies. Also, visit a website called Cockatiel Cottage. Even though this website is cockatiel based, cockatiels afterall are parrots just like budgies, and in my view that website has been online for a long time and is credible.

I hope this information is helpful to you. And know that your little Skyler is flying high over the rainbow bridge.

I would say if you do choose a breeder, when you go to visit the breeder, observe the aviary and the birds, and look for a very clean aviary, happy and healthy looking birds, with none of them sitting all fluffed up, either on the perches or the cage floor, looking lethargic, or eyes being closed.

And when you do visit the breeder, generally they let you see their birds, even hold them, and find one that you would like to bring home. Sometimes they are not quite old enough (generally 12 weeks is a good age to be put into a new home), and they will let you come back and visit the one you are going to bring home soon. Also, question them as to what they would recommend to feed your new baby. And you should be given a phone number and/or email address so you can keep in touch with them, should you need them for the first few weeks while your baby is settling in with you.

I hope this information is of help to you, and do not lose heart. There are many of us that suddenly lost our little friends. But the good news is, whenever you are ready, you can find another little budgie to love and enjoy. ((((((((hugs))))))) Ellen
    Last edited by maxollie; 03-11-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Ellen thank you so much!!! I also have done a lot of research. There is so information out there, some of it is so contradictory, and very confusing. I am already in the process of sterilizing the cage and toys getting ready to try again. I feel so guilty, Skyler had the best personality in the short time I had him, and those are goimg to be big shoes to fill. I keep coming back to the pellets so next time I am going to be very careful about giving pellets. I was trying to introduce fresh veggies but we really didn't have enough time together to really accomplish that. As far as getting him replaced by Petsmart, yes they would, but its not the money for me its about a family member who depends on me to do the right thing. We are still very sad and missing our 7 yo budgie Boss, so taking the big step to replace him was huge and here I sit so sad once again. I was even going to replace our budgie with a big bird but decided that I love budgies and they sounds they make and that's when we got Skyler. Thank you again. It will take me some time to pick out our next bird but I will be more careful next time.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

I'm so sorry for your loss.

And i agree - sterilise the cage well, and then wait. Give your heart time to heal, and when you're ready, the right bird will be there for you

And BTW - Most likely your poor little baby had something wrong that you couldn't see. I can think of a dozen things that could cause a young bird to pass quickly. i'm sure the only thing you did wrong was have bad luck x And you'd know if he wasn't eating - he would have had bright green, and then no droppings. And if he had millet, he would have been eating if he were able.

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

PS - if you tell us where in the world you are, maybe someone can recommend a good store or breeder, when you are feeling ready

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I hope you will stop by the forum on occasion, and let us know how you are doing. We here on the forum are bird owners just like you, that sadly, on occasion, have had to say goodbye to our little buddies just like you have. We are all here to support you. And as Helen shared, if you can let us know where you are in the world, perhaps we can find or recommend a breeder for you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you everyone for all your advice and caring words. I live just outside of Sacramento, Ca. I am going to The Bird Shop tomorrow. It's a local bird store. I have been there a few times and it is very clean and all the birds are well taken care of. I will post again soon with happy news. Thank you again.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, I have to tell you the Sacramento, California area, as well as most areas in California have some fantastic bird shops, breeders, and rescue aviaries. I have seen pictures of some of them, and they simply are "FAB"! So, I am very sure you will be able to very soon find a beautiful little baby to call your own. I'm wishing you the very best as you embark on this journey.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I live just above Colfax and have been to The Bird Shop many times. No doubt you will find a nice healthy bird there. It's a great store and your lucky to live where you can shop there. I love going there and playing with there awesome birds and of course buying lots of there toys and food they sell there.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads