Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Male doesn't allow female to feed

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Male doesn't allow female to feed

I have a pair of tiel which is 2 years old. The female laid 4 eggs and 2 has hatched (one on march 23 and another on 26). I have two issues.
    The male feeds the elder one and doesn't feed the newly hatched.
    It doesn't allow the female to feed the baby. What should i do ?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Re: Male doesn't allow female to feed

Usually, both parents take care of and feed cockatiel babies. Babies that don't have any food will not survive. So, my opinion is for you to get some "baby bird formula" at your local Pet Store. This powder comes in a can and you mix it with water. You will need to hand feed the baby. You can go onto Youtube and search for "hand feeding baby cockatiels", and see how exactly babies are fed. When you pick up the formula, also get a syringe. They are plastic. You will need to feed with that tool.

I'm so sorry the baby is not being fed. This is not unusual. Sometimes for reasons we cannot understand, a pair will ignore a baby and not feed it.

Welcome to the community. I hope you will be able to resolve this challenge immediately.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. If i hand feed the baby will it abandon the future clutch after hatching.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

We hand fed the baby using baby formula. The crop is full but there is a reddish appearance at bottom of crop. What could be the reason.
    From morning it peed thrice only. We fed it thrice from the morning.

We sterilize using antibacterial wash and hot water

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

When you feed, be sure to not overfeed. The crop should be full, but not too full, because the formula can asperate into the lungs. What are the ingredients in the antibacterial wash, and is it used to wash dishes as well? I would be sure to rinse and rinse the items you are washing with very hot water so none of the antibacterial wash is left on the items.

Is the baby making any sounds when it is hungry? You may have to feed around the clock for awhile. I would say probably every 3-4 hours. Being so tiny, it probably did not have enough food inside to be pooping anymore. It is good that it did have some poops though.

I do not know why the crop would be reddish in color. You also need to keep observing the baby to be sure the toes and feet are pink in color and the body feels warm. It could be that reddish color you see is pinkish in color, and that would mean the baby is warm. If you see any "bluish skin, that would mean the baby is dehydrated. The body should feel warm, not cold.

If you see the parents being abusive to the baby or picking on the baby, then you will need to remove it from the nest. Get a small aquarium, and put a thin layer of nesting material in the bottom. I would say a 5 gallon would be big enough. You can use a small hot water bottle to keep the inside of the aquarium warm. Or you could use a heating pad on low setting and hang it on the outside of the aquarium. A small hot water bottle can be placed on the inside of the aquarium on one end away from the baby. They can smoother from too much heat, or too much nesting material. You might also take a very small piece of flannel and let the baby sleep on top of it with the nesting material under the flannel. Cover the top of the aquarium with a piece of fine netting such as is used in sewing clothes.

And of course you will know to watch any more new babies to be sure they are being fed. Until they hatch, we cannot say how the parents might react to having more mouths to feed. Once you get the hang of hand feeding, and the baby is doing well, you will know what to do with any others. Again, watch to be sure the parents are not going to be aggressive with any of the babies.
    Last edited by maxollie; 03-27-2016 at 07:39 PM.