Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Hi, Budgie picking my skin, like pin pricks

Name
    Amelia
    Thanks

Hi, Budgie picking my skin, like pin pricks

Hi, my budgie Harley Blue is now about 6 months old, he was hand raised and I got him when he was only about 5 weeks. He is doing great, now comes to my hand on command and flies all over my unit, eats budgie food and apple, has a cuttle shell, and plenty of play things to pick at in his big cage.. Wont eat vegetables. MY problem is when he gets on my skin he starts to pick at it ( not bite ) picks and feels like pins. When he does it I put him down straight away because it hurts, and also the next day I have tiny scabs... Why would he be doing this? is he lacking something in his diet ? even when I try to distract him, he gets cross and looks for my bare skin to pick at I really want him to be on me, but I live in the Tropics and wear a sarong most of the time. Any help would be great : Thanks Amelia
    Love The Hand That Feeds You

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 1,023 Posts

Re: Hi, Budgie picking my skin, like pin pricks

It sounds like he is very healthy and eating well. Have you tried chopping up some fresh veggies like leaf lettuce, cilantro, (no cabbage family veggies though including broccoli and parsley, because they have a phytochemical in them that budgies should never eat), try putting some frozen veggies in the mix like carrots, peas, corn. Chop it all up pretty fine with a food chopper or food processor. You also can put a cooked hen egg including the shell in the mix. Or, if you prefer, you can take the shell and chop it up separately and put it in a separate food cup. The shell is good calcium for Harley. You can then take an ice cube tray, and fill each cube with some of the mix, pop the ice cube tray in the frig, and then each day take one of the frozen cubs, thaw it somewhat, and put it on the cage top on a plate and/or on the cage bottom on a plate. You also can buy dehydrated veggies at a health food store or food market. They should not have salt, sugar or other additives in them. The pieces may be a little large for a budgie, so you can put them in a food chopper and chop them fine as well.

It is very common for budgies and other birds to be attracted to our ear rings, computer keys, jewelry, and even our skin. They don't understand the little bites are annoying. Try to distract him with a piece of millet sprig and let him eat off of the sprig when he starts to pick at your skin. Or some other treat. And tell him firmly "no, Harley". You can't do that to mom!

I don't think he is lacking anything in his environment or diet. I think he really loves you, and likes to be with you, and somehow he has been attracted to your skin. Discourage it and distract him now, because if you don't then it will only continue.

I'm happy everything is going well with both of you! It is good to see you back on the forum, Amelia. Please keep us posted.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 1,023 Posts

It sounds like he is very healthy and eating well. Have you tried chopping up some fresh veggies like leaf lettuce, cilantro, (no cabbage family veggies though including broccoli and parsley, because they have a phytochemical in them that budgies should never eat), try putting some frozen veggies in the mix like carrots, peas, corn. Chop it all up pretty fine with a food chopper or food processor. You also can put a cooked hen egg including the shell in the mix. Or, if you prefer, you can take the shell and chop it up separately and put it in a separate food cup. The shell is good calcium for Harley. You can then take an ice cube tray, and fill each cube with some of the mix, pop the ice cube tray in the frig, and then each day take one of the frozen cubes, thaw it somewhat, and put it on the cage top on a plate and/or on the cage bottom on a plate. I went back and read my posts, and I did mention the chopped up veggies, but didn't share about the ice cubes, so am sharing that info now.

It is very common for budgies and other birds to be attracted to our ear rings, computer keys, jewelry, and even our skin. They don't understand the little bites are annoying. Try to distract him with a piece of millet sprig and let him eat off of the sprig when he starts to pick at your skin. Or some other treat. And tell him firmly "no, Harley". You can't do that to mom!

I don't think he is lacking anything in his environment or diet. I think he really loves you, and likes to be with you, and somehow he has been attracted to your skin. Discourage it and distract him now, because if you don't then it will only continue.

I'm happy everything is going well with both of you! It is good to see you back on the forum, Amelia. Please keep us posted.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I think he is preening you. Our lovebird use to do it to us but not as hard as your Harley is preening you. It would leave tiny little "V" marks on our skin but he never did it so hard we would bleed. If this is what he is doing he is showing affection but you have to figure out how to make him not do it so hard. We use to tell Boomer "easy bites" and he would soften them a little but it would still sort of sting when he did it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Amelia
    Thanks

Hi thank you for the great advice, also nice to be back. I will try the veg trick, and see if that works for his diet. I do distract him with millet when he bites but he moves past it lol I'll keep at it though. Much appreciated advice : Amelia
    Love The Hand That Feeds You

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi Amelia1313. Did you bird stop doing this? My girl picks at the skin on my arms or shoulders. She is never agressive and very tame. She wants to be with me all the time. However if I am doing something like washing up then she start picking at my shoulders. Like you I am in a warm area so the option of always covering my skin is not ideal. Other than this she is super cuddly and playful.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

We use to tell Boomer "no" when he did it to us. And then gently sort of push his beak away. If that didn't work we would move him off of us. He had a sharp beak and those preen bites hurt.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads