Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Diamond Dove egg?

Name
    Chloe
    Thanks

Diamond Dove egg?

I recently threw out a diamond dove egg that had a very thin shell. The egg seemed to have a few dented spots, and i didn't want to risk it cracking and leaking out into the nest (She has 2 chicks in the nest). So, the main question is, would an egg like this be able to hatch? Or was the shell to thin?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Diamond Dove egg?

Are there any other unhatched eggs? It could be those dented spots were the baby chick inside the egg "pipping" (using the beak) to crack the shell so it could hatch. Personally, I would not want to disturb a nest, nor take any eggs out of the nest until all are hatched, and the babies have fledged. (came out of the nest box and are perching.)

I do understand the risk of the egg breaking, but Nature has programmed all birds including hens to know exactly how many eggs they laid and how many are in the nest.

Is this her first clutch of eggs, or did she lay eggs besides these in the last few months. I would uptake her calcium. Does she eat fresh veggies? Do you put a cuttlebone in the cage? I would get some fresh kale at the market, and give both the male and female kale about twice a week. You can chop it up finely, or just stick some pieces through the cage bars. Both of them need to have plenty of calcium.

The next time she lays a clutch, when the eggs are about a week or so old, you can "candle" them. Take a penlight flashlight and hold the egg up to the light and observe the inside of the shell. Do you see red looking tiny veins and maybe even the embryo attached to the side of the egg? If so, then that egg is "viable". By that I mean it is fertilized and will require incubation (the hen setting on the egg).

Giving plenty of calcium and good foods to them will help to prevent thin egg shells.

Name
    Chloe
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Are there any other unhatched eggs? It could be those dented spots were the baby chick inside the egg "pipping" (using the beak) to crack the shell so it could hatch. Personally, I would not want to disturb a nest, nor take any eggs out of the nest until all are hatched, and the babies have fledged. (came out of the nest box and are perching.)

I do understand the risk of the egg breaking, but Nature has programmed all birds including hens to know exactly how many eggs they laid and how many are in the nest.

Is this her first clutch of eggs, or did she lay eggs besides these in the last few months. I would uptake her calcium. Does she eat fresh veggies? Do you put a cuttlebone in the cage? I would get some fresh kale at the market, and give both the male and female kale about twice a week. You can chop it up finely, or just stick some pieces through the cage bars. Both of them need to have plenty of calcium.

The next time she lays a clutch, when the eggs are about a week or so old, you can "candle" them. Take a penlight flashlight and hold the egg up to the light and observe the inside of the shell. Do you see red looking tiny veins and maybe even the embryo attached to the side of the egg? If so, then that egg is "viable". By that I mean it is fertilized and will require incubation (the hen setting on the egg).

Giving plenty of calcium and good foods to them will help to prevent thin egg shells.

The egg was about 5 days old, so it couldn't have been a chick pipping. She has laid plenty of eggs before, and is even willing to take in eggs from other doves. Her eggs usually have a hard shell and she always takes great care of them, and feeds her chicks well. She didn't want to sit on this particular egg for some reason though she would still sit on any other. This is the first time she's had a dented egg. Could It be one of the chicks in the nest pecking at it? She does get fresh veggies and cuttlebone. I haven't given her kale though, and i'll certainly be getting some for her and the other doves. She also gets calcium grit but I've been giving her less, because i'm not sure if the grit would hurt the chicks in a way. Would the chicks be able to digest the grit? I always candle eggs she doesn't want to make sure there is nothing inside, but I don't candle the eggs she sits on since she seems to know whether the egg is fertile, and i don't want to disturb her off the eggs. Thanks, reply if possible =)
    Last edited by Tuturue; 04-08-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

On occasion, for whatever reason of Nature, an egg will not be formed properly, or in this case had the thin shell and was pecked. She might have pecked it herself. Hens are very intelligent, and more than likely she may have realized this egg was not a normal egg, and therefore she did not set on it. After reading your reply, I respect that you took the egg out of the nest since you shared that she has laid eggs before as well as even being a surrogate birdy mom for other eggs.

As to the calcium grit, is it calcium cuttlebone that is finally ground? I have seen it on some websites that sell bird products, but have not used it. Have you just recently began using this grit, or have you used it before when she was nesting and the eggs were hatching. From what I know about the hens and males regurgitating the seeds back to the babies, I was of the understanding they only regurgitate seeds because of the nutrition in the seeds. However, you do raise an excellent question as to the calcium grit.

Does the male go into the nest box, or is it just the hen that feeds and cares for the chicks? It could be the male might have pecked on the egg, but if he is older and more mature, I would not think so. Sometimes very young and mature pairs have some problems getting used to the breeding process, and for whatever reason, will peck on the eggs.

Since she discarded it, it would not hatch, so you definitely made the right decision to remove it. And yes, you made a wise decision on not candling the eggs she is setting on.

Do keep us posted when the chicks hatch, and I am hopeful this information was helpful to you.

Name
    Chloe
    Thanks

Ah, so i suppose she may have pecked it herself. The egg was unusually pointy and long compared to her smaller and rounder eggs. She always inspects the eggs carefully after she lays them. The grit is quite coarse and large, which was the reason i was worried for the chicks. She has been eating the grit for about 6 months. Instead of a nest box they use an open nest, and the male feeds the babies about as often as she does. He is a few months older than she is and seems to know what he's doing when feeding babies and warming eggs. Before the babies were hatched he often regurgitated for the female. He'll fluff himself up and tuck the eggs underneath him, and sit with them for most of the day before changing spots with the female. I read somewhere that the eggs can sometimes get damaged during the time they exchange spots. When she was younger and had her first egg, she wasn't sure how to move around the egg and accidentally kicked the egg from the nest. Luckily the egg was a dud and she's learned how to keep it in the nest since then, and also shaped the nest to keep the babies inside and from crawling out. He takes care of any egg the female likes and will feed all of the babies. She likes to pick twigs and pieces of straw of the ground and bring it up to the nest, could one of the pieces have damaged the egg? Some of the pieces have some sharp edges, but i assume she knows what's safe for them and i wouldn't want to take from her nest. Thanks for the info! Here's a little picture type thing of her babies. This was from 4 days ago, so they have grown a bit since then.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! They are sooooo precious. I've never seen baby doves, so I am excited you posted the picture. Since you say the egg was unusually long and pointed, I suspect that egg would not have hatched, and she knew it. It really is amazing how Nature has created birds. They really are intelligent. I've learned many lessons over the years watching over my budgies and cockatiels. The only doves I've seen are those out in the wild. The parents are definitely playing their role in "maturity" now, and are doing an excellent job with those chicks. I would say you have a wonderful time watching them. In my view, birds are the most beautiful of all of God's creation.

One question I have for you is the grit you are speaking of "gravel"?? Could you please post the brand and the name of the grit. Years ago caregivers always gave their caged small birds "grit", which was very small pieces of gravel. Now, most Vets, and others do not recommend it because it is very hard to digest, and sometimes can cause problems when it gets to the intestines. Did someone recommend to you that you feed the grit? If it is gravel grit, like I mentioned in my prior post, if you are wanting to be sure she has plenty of calcium, then you can get cuttlebone that is crushed on Amazon or in a pet shop. It comes in a container, and you sprinkle some over the food every so often. I would not sprinkle every day. Perhaps once or twice a week, max, because giving too much calcium is not good for them either.

I know here on the forum, very few, if any that I know of, feed gravel grit to their birds. If it is something like cuttlebone, or what some call cuttlefish, then I don't think it would harm, because I don't think it would be regurgitated, but I really am not sure about the gravel whether it would be or not.

Thank you so much for the reply. I will watch for updates.

Name
    Chloe
    Thanks

Thanks! They are gorgeous little birds to watch, and the babies are already almost fully feathered and are starting to flap their wings! It's amazing how fast they grow. I'm not sure whether it would really be considered gravel, the pieces in it are about the same size as their seeds. I'm not entirely sure what brand it is, but i think it's Kaytee High-Calcium Grit. If not that, then something very similar in size and shape. I was recommended it by another diamond dove breeder i met who said her doves laid stronger eggs. I've heard about it causing problems, but I have not encountered any so far. I have tried crushed cuttlebone, but she doesn't seem to want it and will avoid it. I could try giving it to her again, but i don't think she'll want it. Thank you so much for all the info and help you've given me!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, I would say if a diamond dove breeder recommended it to you, and she has not shown any signs of problems with her poops or any indication she is not digesting it properly, then it should be OK for you to go ahead and give it to her. Do you also give it to the male? Both need calcium, because breeding is very stressful on pairs, especially the hens of course, but hopefully he is eating some of it as well. I just did a google search on the Kaytee, and there are several ingredients. I found it interesting there is granit in it. Granit is often used by people who raise chickens, either for market, or on the farm. It is mixed in with the mash that the chickens eat. I've not heard of it being put in small bird foods, but did not see anythingelse in the ingredients that would be unsafe. If another breeder uses it, and it is working for her, then I would continue to use it. Especially now with her on eggs and taking care of the new babies, I would say it is best to continue with her exactly as you have been. And since you are giving her the Kaytee, I would not be concerned to give her the kale as I had suggested, because she definitely is eating the Kaytee, which is very important for her.

In looking at the bottle I saw on-line the granit pieces are the bigger pieces. But again, I don't think she would regurgitate those, it is just the seeds.

I wish to welcome you to the community, and we hope to see you here often. I will be excited to see some more pictures as the babies get older. They are sooooo sweet. And you are doing a great job taking care of them as well.

Name
    Chloe
    Thanks

Since the male and female are in the same cage and share a feeder, he also eats his part of it. I haven't gotten any kale yet but i'll be getting some for all the doves soon. As you said, she seems to be regurgitating only the seeds! They certainly are some fat and happy babies, I'll be sure to take more pictures to share as they grow! =)