where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Baby parakeet chirping a lot!

Name
    sommer
    Thanks

Lightbulb Baby parakeet chirping a lot!

Hi there!!

I have a baby parakeet that is probably about 3 weeks , maybe close to 4 weeks old....mother still feeds it , seems though as if the baby is ready to come out and wander around , it tried to climb today to get out of the nesting box. So I am wondering if it needs to eat on its own now , while the mother still feeds it from time to time??? Also mother feeds it and it still chirps very loud , and seems like the mother cant keep up with it to the feeding..seems like its starving , but is not..so wondering on what should I do to help them out.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Baby parakeet chirping a lot!

I know that lots of breeders give babies spray millet for there first real food because it's easy to husk and digests easy as well. We have another member here, Maxollie, that use to breed budgies and I am sure she will be able to help you with your noisy baby.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Hi, Sommer and welcome to the community. Awww! That baby is simply precious! I would say the baby, being 3-4 weeks old, most likely will one of these days soon, make it out of the nest box and on to the perches. I can remember the first time I saw this little yellow white face peeping out of the nest box hole when I bred my budgies. And within a few days, that little baby did crawl out of the nest box and onto the perch. It will explore the inside of the cage somewhat, but will most likely have some challenges getting around the cage. So, it is a good idea to have the perch on the same level as the nest box hole, so the baby can go back into the box. The mother will be sure the baby is in the box at night. And will continue to feed it for awhile longer. You definitely can begin encouraging the baby to eat some seed, and also, as Deanna suggested, millet is a good starter food. You can get millet in the store in long sprigs. But if possible, I would get a box of millet (you should be able to find one in a grocery store in the cereal department, or at a health food store. I would use that if possible, because the seeds are smaller, and also, it has been sorted and won't have any of the hulls on it, and will be much easier for the baby to eat.

It is very common for the baby to make that "hungry noise" even when it is not hungry. The mom will know when to feed it, and as you already have observed, it is not starving and she has done a great job feeding it up to this point in time.

I would wait until the baby comes out of the box, if at all possible, before feeding it the seeds and/or millet. You can feed both as long as the seeds are rather small. I would not be feeding pellets to a baby budgie, so I am hopeful you are only feeding seeds and not pellets. I am not a person who generally feeds pellets unless they are organic. But at this time, I would not even consider them for your baby. You also can encourage the baby to drink water from a water cup. The mom is going to be very protective of the baby, however, if you have a good friendship/relationship with the mom, and have had her for some time, she should trust you. Is the Dad in the cage with them? And has he been feeding the baby as well?

All birds, especially pairs, are always ready to get back to mating, so if you do have a pair, do not be surprised if you see them mating soon. I found with my breeders they could hardly wait to get those babies out of the box, so they could start the mating all over again. I only bred budgies one time, and my pair had four beautiful little babies. I never thought about breeding birds, but I had purchased a new budgie about a year before the chicks hatched, thinking I had another boy, because at the time I had five budgies. One day I happened to see Nikki and Buttercup mating, and then I knew I did have a female. So a couple months later I put in a nest box and sure enough, they ended up with those four precious little babies.

If you do have a pair, I am hopeful they will still feed the baby for awhile. However, you will be one step ahead of them feeding him/her the seeds and millet, so that will be of big help should they get careless about feeding him/her.

You can also begin socializing the baby by holding it and even feeding him/her the seed/millet out of your hand. Hopefully the mom won't make a big fuss about you holding the baby. Just play it by ear as to how the mom and/or dad are going to behave with you interacting with the baby.

I hope to see you often here on the forum, and when you get a chance, do post some pics of your baby and mom and dad. You are going to love watching the baby get bigger. In another week or so the baby will fledge (learn to fly). If you do allow him/her out of cage be sure to have ceiling fans turned off if you have any, pull the shades/blinds on windows, and don't have any mirrors hanging on the walls. They fly fast, and are all over the place when they first learn to fly, and for a few months after. Their favorite spots are as high towards the ceiling as possible, such as curtain rods, and the top of ceiling fans, and you will have a difficult time catching the baby as well. Some people either buy or make a butterfly net and use to catch them because using a towel to catch them is difficult because they are so small, and squeezing them too much won't be a good idea. When you are socializing the baby, I would teach him/her to step up on your finger, and if he does get used to you and interacts well with you, he just might fly back to the cage. However, that will take some time. Good Luck with your new baby and your pair!
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-09-2016 at 08:03 PM.

Name
    sommer
    Thanks

Thank you so much for contacting me on this !!

Name
    sommer
    Thanks

wow Thank you for getting back to me....I have read everything you typed out and study it , Thank you again so very much.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

You are very welcome, Sommer. We will look for updates on how things are going with the new baby and your flock. Good Luck!!

Remove Ads