Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Lone Diamond Dove egg

Name
    Chloe
    Thanks

Lone Diamond Dove egg

My diamond dove has laid an egg, which I candled and noticed a chick growing inside! Unfortunately, the other egg was pooed on and the poo made a hole in the egg. Now there is a single egg which i'm wondering if she will take care of. Since the doves get to fly out around and socialize with each other, I don't know which is the father of the egg. There's only two males, and one has chicks right now and the other is possibly male but i'm not sure. She's never raised a chick before, and the unknown gender dove has been in the cage with her for about a month. Will he/she help take of her egg if it hatches? If the chick doesn't get fed by either one, should I move the chick into the cage of a more experienced pair?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,295 Posts

Re: Lone Diamond Dove egg

Hi Chloe! I would try to observe the males to see if they are giving the female any attention at all right now. That would at least give you some sign, that when the egg hatches, hopefully the male will help the female when the egg hatches. If not, in my view, unless the female just plain rejects the baby when the egg hatches, I feel the female will most probably take great care of the egg. You can watch carefully to be sure she is feeding the chick. If for any reason you see she is not feeding the baby, then you can step in and hand feed the baby. You can get baby bird food formula in cans at a pet store. And also, you can go on-line to Youtube, and search for "hand feeding baby doves". These videos will show you how the owners hand feed the chicks and you can then be prepared in case you need to step in with this egg.

Good luck! I hope the egg hatches and the mom will take great care of the baby chick.

Name
    Chloe
    Thanks

Re: Lone Diamond Dove egg

Thanks, i'll watch for her to feed the chick if the egg hatches!