Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with young bird!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Need help with young bird!

Outside of my house a Blue Jay attacked a young bird while it was flying with it's mom and dad. I'm not sure if the Blue Jay has injured the young bird in any way but it's not able to fly anymore. I made it a small make shift nest and now I'm just waiting out to see what happens. I'm feeding it water and crushed up seeds that is mixed with water and it's drinking them. I'm not sure if it has a sprained wing or if it's broken. No bones are sticking out and when I have the bird stand on my finger it let's me open it's wing and doesn't make any sudden movements or chirps that indicate that it's in pain. Can someone, anyone help me out?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dylan
    Thanks

Re: Need help with young bird!

Put the bird back outside ASAP if it isn't visibly harmed, it needs to be with its parents. So many wild fledgelings die from improper care - firstly, at that age they can't yet fly but are usually under their parents' watch while they learn. They don't usually need help. It's also extremely dangerous to give a wild baby bird water directly into its mouth, as they can drown on it so easily if any goes into the lungs. The mother bird does not give the baby water, until it can drink on its own it gets all of its moisture from their food. If you don't know the birds' species, seeds also may well be an inappropriate diet that could make it very ill (particularly the husks, which all birds except doves remove before eating seeds.)

A young bird of any species needs a protein rich diet anyway, even if it is a seed eater as an adult. In a pinch, boiled egg yolk is a much more suitable food source. But a wild bird is not a pet and a fledgeling rarely needs help. If the blue jay has gone, return the baby to where it was found, or in a nearby tree. The parents will probably return shortly - if it's night where you are, do so first thing in the morning. If the parents don't return you will have to take the bird to a rehabilitator or else do a lot of very intensive reading online about how to care for fledgeling wild bird. It's not an easy job.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I hope the bluejay did not hurt it so bad that it will not be able to fly again. If its parents do not come back try to find a wildlife rescue in your area. They will take it and give it the care it needs until it is ready to be released. I have taken a few birds to our rescue we have not too far away from our house and they really do go out of there way to try to help it. I would keep the baby nice and warm and put some crushed seeds next to it so if it wants to eat some it can until you can find a rescue that will take it in. Some vets also will look at wild birds. I live in a tiny mountain town and our local vet here will look at them and either tell you to find a rescue or help it and then they give it back to you so you can release it where it came from.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

@Serina
    - The incident happened during the day. And it was showing signs of it being injured. My neighbor said it was flying with it's parents and a Blue Jay took it to the ground. We stood and watched it for a little while and it would try and creep into a little corner. The mother and father bird would circle the area chirping at the bird but the bird wasn't able to get back up and fly away. It would fall onto one side.. which leads me to believe that something is wrong with it's left wing. I left the bird outside for a while like you said. But the parents again weren't able to do anything. And me living where I live there tends to be a lot of neighbors walking up and down that I'm sure was interfering with them trying to perform they're search and rescue.. I noticed after a while there was no more birds circling the area and it walking the way it was I just couldn't go on knowing it was outside of my house like that. I took it inside and placed it in a shoe box. Since then I've been placing many questions on forums and doing a lot of research to what I am going to do. If it lives (which I hope it does) I hope I'd be able to release it back. I just don't trust any vet here where I'm from.. wish me luck! And thanks for the information.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

@BoomerGirl
    Yes, I'm hoping that the Blue Jay didn't hurt the little bird that bad to where it won't be able to fly again either. That's my biggest concern right now is me nursing it back to health to where it's able to move around but it not being able to fly again in its life. I really wouldn't know what I'd do.. I did leave it outside in a shoe box for a little while and I'm sure the mother and father bird heard and saw it. But the bird wasn't able to get up out of the box and move toward them. I'm almost sure that it has a sprain or broken wing. What's good about it is that it really doesn't look that bad. And the bird doesn't seem to be in any pain. I'm feeding it, and giving it water. My plan is to try and do my best to take care of it till it shows signs of improvement and once I feel that it's ready I'm hoping that I'd be able to release it back where it came from and I just hope and pray that it will be able to fly a good distance without complications. Please if you guys have any more info on how to help me it is VERY much appreciated. I've never had anything like this happen before

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Personally, I would call a "bird rescue" in your area, and ask them advice on how to proceed. They might allow you to bring it into their aviary, and would know how to take care of it, perhaps even having a Vet look at it. Or, you can call an Avian Vet, or a Vet in your area and speak to a technician, and see what that opinion would be.

I fully understand your concern for this little bird, and I appreciate you trying to help him/her. I will say that I found Dylan's post to be very informative, because I know his experience with both wild and tame birds, and I feel he did write a good opinion, and I agree with what he said.

I also would say that Deanna has many wild birds living in California where she resides, and also has experience in seeing baby birds and other wild animals in stress. So I also would agree with her posts.

The parents will be in dire stress since they cannot be with or find their baby. I will pray that you can find someone to give you some advice ASAP, so the little bird survives. You are doing the best you can for the little bird at this time. Thank you for rescuing him/her.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

@Maxollie
    Thank you for your information Maxollie. And yes I have been doing some research on bird rescues and bird vets just in case.. but being from the area of California where I am from. They're aren't really much experienced vets that help me in any way over here. I'd have to travel as far as San Francisco and back to find a legit bird rescue that would actually do it's job correctly. It's day 2, and the bird was able to make it through the night. This morning I uncovered his cage and it was already perched up! It began to walk more, I fed it some berries and it would just eat the stem and take small bites of the berry. It's even starting to chirp a lot! It was doing none like this the first night. So I'm hoping this means it's showing signs of improvement. Hopefully I'll be able to release it within a couple of weeks. And yes thank you for your kind words. I don't own birds or any of that sort of nature. I have 1 dog and 1 cat. But I just love animals of any kind. And I couldn't just leave this little one and continue on with my day.. I made an account on this website the first day I found him so I can get help right away and you guys have really helped a lot. I appreciate you guys! We'll see how this turns out..

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! That is wonderful news to share. Just keep up the routine you have with the baby now, and we will hope that he will survive and can be released. Have you seen any evidence of his parents around your home? Flying high above the home, or perching in the trees? The only real concern I have is releasing him, because where will he go without his parents? He is still a baby. And there are so many predators like cats and other animals roaming around. I hope they don't get him and kill him.

Another thought I have is to call a rescue aviary. On line I see one in California named Mikaboo Rescue. I think it is up by Sacramento. Deanna, the lady who posted here is from that area, so maybe she can give you some info on that rescue when she reads this post. All you would be asking them is the procedure you need to know as to releasing the little bird so he will be safe! And I would say any rescue in your area would be able to answer your questions.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Mickaboo does not rescue wild birds except pigeons and instead rescues peoples birds that they no longer want or have given to animal shelters mostly in the bay area. You need to find a wildlife rescue because most of them take in baby birds and have a very successful release with most of them. I worry that since you will have to hand feed this baby it will become bonded to you and not really know how to take care of itself outside. Its parents teach it what to eat and where to drink so once it actually decides to leave its parents it can go to the places its parents taught it to go to. I know some people here on Tailfeathers have rescued wild birds and raised them and did soft releases. They would put them in a secure place outside and let it live outside in a cage for awhile so it got use to being outside. Then they would leave the door open on the cage after a week or so and let it fly free. Sometimes they would return to eat and sometimes they wouldn't.

My husbands cousin found a hurt sparrow that they helped and raised and kept it as there bird. It did learn to fly and after awhile they would release it and it always came back home after flying free for awhile. They kept it for years until one day it died when it was at home. If this bird is hurt badly enough it may never fly again. I know I took a bird here to our local wildlife rescue and it was hurt badly enough it couldn't be released so they kept it at the rescue to live out its life. Sometimes you just have no choice. If this were me I would search for wildlife rescues and hopefully you find one in your area who can help you or even take in this bird. They would have good odds to raise it good and release it if it cannot be. If anything you can find one somewhere else and ask for advice on what they feed the wild birds they take in and they can give you pointers on how to help it out.

Please keep us updated on your baby bird. You are a kind soul to step in and take care of it and I really do hope everything goes good for you and this precious little bird. Do you know what kind of bird it is. Where do you live? If it is anywhere near Sacramento there are a couple of really good rescues within 40 minutes from Sacramento. I take the ones I find to Auburn and they are so sweet and always keep me updated on the birds I had taken to them.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

@Maxollie
    Yes it is! I'm very happy to see that it's showing sings of improvement. It's day 3 and it was able to make it through another night. This morning I took him out of its cage and let him roam free around the room and he started bouncing around from place to place but he's still not able to fly. He's also eating a lot more than the first couple of nights so I'm really glad. And yes the following day I actually took him outside and put him in a little shoe box on top of my table and both the mother and father bird got real close to it but then they would take off and come back again. The little guy is getting better I hope! And thanks. I'll probably try and call a rescue shelter and try to see if I can get some more answers. Thank you guys once again!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

@BoomerGirl
    Putting them in a secure cage outside for a soft release is actually a really good idea. I think that's something I might do once I see it getting better. It was able to make it 3 days now. The first day I had to hand feed it because it wasn't eating anything at all. I'm sure it was because he was a little in shock still. But this morning and the following morning he started eating on his own. Picking at berries and seeds.. I set him in the living room and on my way to the kitchen I passed by his cage and once again he was eating on his own. I'm hoping that once it gets just a little better he'd be able to make it back in the wild. And thank you for your kind words as well. I feel really good that I'm helping out this bird and I appreciate every bit of information that you guys are providing me with. It's really doing me a big favor! It's good knowing there are still good people in this world willing to help complete strangers. Unfortunately, I live in the Central Valley region of California (Fresno, CA) where they're aren't really many well experienced vets. And if there is they honestly don't do they're job correctly and I would not feel right leaving it somewhere I wouldn't even take my own dog or cat. I'm not really sure what species of bird it is. But he seems like he's doing well. I will keep you guys updated on the bird. And thank you again for all the necessary info!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

What wonderful news! I'm so happy for the baby bird and for you. You are doing an awesome job taking care of him. If you would post a picture of him sometime before you release him, we would love to see what he looks like. You can get a tiny pic or photo bucket account on-line and upload the pics and post them here. When you copy the picture on either of those accounts to the URL space, then come back to a quick reply space like this one and on the third icon from the right (above) run your mouse over that icon and it says insert image. "Paste" the picture and then it should come up on this space.

We will welcome your updates, and I am saying special prayers for this little guy. It does sound like the parents are not far away since you saw them that first day. I hope they have stayed in the area so he can be reunited with them.

Sadly, all over the country there are "qualified vets", and then those that really should not be practicing. So I can fully understand your thoughts about taking the bird there.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I would love to see a picture of this little baby. I am happy his parents are still coming around and I would keep putting him outside in a cage so they can come by and check up on him now and then. Have you tried letting him out of the cage inside of your house? I only ask because then you can see if it actually tries to fly when it is not caged. That would be a good way to see if it ready to be set free. You are doing awesome with this little baby and I am so happy you are taking care of it. I just hope its parents keep hanging around and it can be reunited and fly away with them one day soon.

I was lucky to find a great avian vet here for my bird and we never worried about my bird and now my daughters bird not having a great vet to take care of them. She is a hour away from us but that is what happens when you live way up in the mountains away from the big cities below us.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

@Maxollie
    Thank you very much Maxollie, I appreciate the kind words and the help you guys provided me as well! This little guy has been going strong so far and it is now the fourth day! The first day this little guy was so quiet and would just stay put.. he didn't eat one thing... Now he's always up and excited, he bounces around from place to place when I let him out of its cage and he bounces fast! He's also eating way way more that he was before which I'm glad. Literally every time I check up on him he's always munching down on a berry lol so that's very good for him. At times he even hangs on to the side of the cage. It should be at least a couple more days now before he's able to go back. He started dosing off a little while ago so I put a towel over his cage so he can get some rest. And no the parents aren't far away at all. I've seen them every day since I took the young bird in. And at times when I leave him outside the parents come around and check on him. Even when he's inside chirping. The parents are able to hear that he's inside the house and they would latch themselves to my screen door lol. And yes I will do my best to try and get pictures of this little buy before I do let him go. Doing some research I think he might be of a wild sparrow species. But I could be wrong forsure because like I said I don't own birds or know much about birds period lol. I am doing all of this though a mobile phone because my computer is currently experiencing some difficulties at the moment but I will try and see if there's anyway you guys can be able to see it! Thank you once again. I do feel good that I was able to help this little guy out. I could only imagine what would of happened if someone else or some thing would have gotten to it before I did..

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

@BoomerGirl
    Yes he's a little soldier. He's doing just great and it should be at least 1 more week or so before he's actually fully recovered. He's not able to fly just yet but he does flap his wing with no problem. And he does tend to hang on the side of the cage sometimes lol. And yeah that's what I will continue to keep on doing because it's parents are still in the area and when I have him outside I sometimes catch the parents coming to check on him. And yes I have also done that and let him out in the house and he likes to bounce around and flap it's wings but just isn't quite ready yet for a steady flight. I'm going to continue on with the routine I got going for him and hopefully it'll do him some good. In the mean time I will try and post a picture of him before I try and release him back. Thank you all once again. I do feel great that I'm helping him out all that I can