Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Introducing two budgies.. Advice

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Introducing two budgies.. Advice

Hello everyone,
    So I'm just after a little advice and was hoping you guys could help me out.

Basically I found a budgie back in March one day when I was out dog walking and she was in a bad way but I took her home and after having no luck finding any owners etc I decided to keep her and bought a cage. She's been great ever since, eats well and is quite vocal with my parrot , but she only has a small cage. She's a lovely blue colour, so I called her blue!

So a few days ago I bought a Canto ferplast cage, and once set up I bought another budgie but a male, called Willow. He's currently settling down in the new cage but in a different room. I'm told I have to keep him quarantined for four weeks, he's still pretty quiet and I only hear him eating why I'm in bed, otherwise he's just on the same perch and doesn't move around much, unless I'm out and come back he's sometimes switched perches. When I bought him he was with around 20 other budgies and now I feel like he's lonely. I know at first they can be quite quiet and wary about eating/drinking etc. He does like to sleep a fair bit, with his head tucked into his back.

He heard my other budgie tweeting and did tweet him back a few times. I'm planning to bring them together eventually, and I hope they get along and like sitting together etc and they both enjoy the company, but I just feel harsh waiting four weeks until they can be together.

The cage does have a divider though incase they don't get along.

Also how do you go about introducing them?

Thanks.
    Last edited by BlueJazz123; 05-15-2016 at 06:46 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Introducing two budgies.. Advice

Hi and welcome to you, Blue and Willow. Personally, when the quarantine is over, I would put their cages close together, but not put them together in one cage for awhile. I dont think at this point you would need to keep Willow in a room alone. Put him on the other side of the room from Blue, a good distance. That will help tremendously from keeping Willow from being lonely. Then when quarantine is over, in a couple of weeks, try putting them together and be close by to see how they get along. Let them be together for an hour or so. Then put them back in their own cages. Increase their time together slowly, and if they get along, then you can put them in one cage. Keep the other cage for emergencies and travel.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I also would put the birds each in a separate cage very close to each other. They can get used to each other that way. Also, if one is a bully bird, cannot harm the other bird. Chances are better that they will get along. As long as they are each in their own cage for awhile more, they will not be lonely.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks for your replies, there very helpful.

I'll put willow in the other room tomorrow with blue, I think they'll enjoy tweeting to eachother, plus willow seems more at home today I've seen him drinking and eating.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

From all of the many years I've homed budgies, most of them came from pet stores. I know quarantine is highly recommended, but I've never brought a sick bird home. Now that is not to say it never happens, and on occasion here on the forum a person will post of a sick bird or one that died shortly after bringing it home.

Willow will love to be in the same room with Blue. And I feel the two of them will get along fine. Sometimes an older bird can be territorial or a bit possessive of a new one, especially a baby. I got a new budgie in December. My male budgie, Muffin, is 5 years old. I put them together, and the first thing Muffin did was to try to mate with the new baby, who is a girl. So I put them in separate cages and they still are in the separate cages because even though a baby budgie cannot lay eggs, I did not want her to get into that mating mode at such a young age. Usually females don't begin to lay eggs until they are about a year old, but having the male wanting to mate early on could bring on the eggs sooner.

You can decide how to handle the situation if it happens to you. Giving them some out of cage time will help to tamp that down somewhat.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Took your advice and put willow in his cage in the room this morning, and ever since he's cheered up a lot!

He's moving around a lot more, I've seen him eating and him and blue are churping away to eachother which is sweet.
    Blue looks like she's trying to see him from her cage haha.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! That is great news! It is amazing how different they feel when they can see and hear another budgie. Soon quarantine will be over and you can see how they will interact with each other! We will welcome updates anytime.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Blue and willow were out together why I changed the papers at the bottom of the cage and they kissed a few times and preened eachother, blue is so obsessed with willow, but back in their own seperate cages now haha!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

They are off to a great start!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

That is so sweet they got along so fast and were preening each other. I am happy you found Blue because I cannot even imagine how scary it would be for a bird like her to be outside. Poor little girl but it least she found her way to you and has Willow to keep her happy now.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks guys!

Willow only seems young, he likes to cuddle up in the palm of your hand and grinds his beak, and fall asleep.

I think blue is in love 😂 Hopefully in a few weeks time they can be together, although I'm a bit worried because blue is obviously a lot older, well I think she's around 6 months old if that. Nice to see them happy though. Last night I tried to put blue back in her cage and she flew back to willow.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

What a little sweetheart all snuggled up in your hand. Willow does look super young but then I know nothing about little budgies.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

He/she does look very young. His/her cere, the spot above his beak looks tan color in the picture. Generally male budgies have light or dark blue ceres, so my thought is Willow may be a girl. You can get DNA sexing kits on line. They send you a kit and you pull a few feathers from the bird. Send it back to the company, and they will send you the result. Just google..DNA sex kits for budgies.

Remove Ads