where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Strange Behaviour with Linnie

TheYoshiFiles Brand New Egg Angel-n-Aqua's Avatar
    Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Strange Behaviour with Linnie

Today Yoshi did something strange, she took a seed in her mouth, chewed it up rolled it around in her beak and proceeded to spread the chewed up seed across a metal bar (that has beads on it) in the cage. She did this 2 separate times today. I hope nothing is wrong, she did take a nasty fall today as her wings were clipped a few days ago and seemed to take a blow to her chest/neck area.

Yoshi is going to see the vet soon but in the meanwhile, she has been having a few poops here and there with air bubbles in them. By a few I mean in the past few days maybe 1-2 of her poops have bubbles in them. I hope to god she isn't infected and its something with her diet. She absolutely does not like the coated vitamin seeds in her food and has never chewed on her cuttle bone or mineral block. I scraped some of the cuttle bone and mineral block and put some in her food and she definitely got a good dose of them.

Otherwise, her behaviour is normal, still seems a happy bird, not lethargic at all. Any advice before our vet appointment?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,270 Posts

Re: Strange Behaviour with Linnie

You can put a chunk of the cuttlebone in a food processor or food chopper and grind it up in small fine pieces. Then add some to her seed mix every day. Is the seed mix just seeds or seeds and pellets. From what I've read, if a bird is eating pellets or coated vitamin seeds they don't need additional vitamins. If she gets used to eating fresh green veggies there is a lot of nutrition and vitamins in them.

That chewing the seed thing is exactly what my budgie, Marlee does. I would not worry about it. And the air bubbles in the poop could be from drinking water or eating seeds and other foods.

Thanks for the update. She is doing great!!!!

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Thank you for the quick response, sometimes I wonder if I overthink these things too much and I end up spending money at the vet for no reason but better to be safe than sorry I guess.

No pellets in the seed mix just coated vitamin seeds.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I understand your concern, and I also know the expense of a vet. It is best to get opinions. That is what forums are about. You love him and are doing a great job caring for him. And I know he feels that love.

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Thank you!

Update: Yoshi is still chewing the seeds and spreading it on the metal bar, especially at night. Will give an update after vet visit.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I think it is just being hormonal. Boomer use to "feed" the stuffed animals he use to rub his you not what on when he was feeling hormonal, it was disgusting! As far as the air bubbles this may be concerning because I know when Boomers AGY (Avian Gastric Yeast) use to flare up and get bad again his poos would have lots of air bubbles in them. I certainly hope this is all hormonal things going on with Yoshi and nothing else. It is good you are taking her to the vets just to make sure it is nothing.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Thanks for the information. We just found out Yoshi is a boy!!! unfortunately, I do have some more troubling news: I've just noticed today that Yoshi has orange urine

Now I'm almost certain yoshi either has an infection or a disease (we are going to the vet tomorrow).

A few other things I've noticed just in the past 2 days is that his beak is peeling a bit (not discoloured) and the very pointed end of the beak has broken off. Yesterday when my parents were bird sitting my dad set down a cup of sprite somewhat close to Yoshi (it was flat) and yoshi got into it and took just one sip. As you can imagine I was upset and now I'm worried about Yoshi's health.

He is not showing any 'sick' behaviours like being fluffed up and at the bottom of the cage. Still very active, chirping a lot, excited to hear/see us, still eating and drinking like a little piggy.

Ive read about blood in the poop or yellow and green urine but nothing about orange! He did have a raspberry before it happened but the urine was a very clear orange.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Does he eat any seeds or pellets that are colored? Has he had any new foods or veggies that might be yellow or red? Do you put bird vitamins in his food or water? I doubt a sip of Sprite would hurt him. Are his poops loose or are they the same except for the yellow? Would he have been chewing on any toys or shredder toys?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Don't panic over the orange liquid in his poops unless it lasts for over a day and then look closely at the things Ellen mentioned because there is lots of reasons for them to have colored urine. I will say Boomers would have a sort of orange/yellow ring around them when his AGY flared up. They would also look weird and the white part would be sort of mixed in with his urine and the green would be a dark green color and they also would have bubbles in it. A sip of Sprite would not hurt your bird. It is caffeine free and since it was flat it would not even have carbonation in it which may make his poos look a little weird. Boomer snuck drinks from us all the time of all kinds of things and he lived a good long life.

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Yes some seeds that are coloured but this has been the same seed mix since we got him and i've never noticed the orange urine before, I've noticed it in the faces only. Yes he had a raspberry before it happened (which is what I though caused the orange urine). Poops have mostly been firm but there has been at least 1-2 loose poops a day, when I saw the orange it was more on the loose side. He has been chewing on his rope perch here and there but not excessively. No vitamins in the water.

Thanks for the reassurance. I hope he is fine, we will find out soon.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I know you will keep a close watch on him. If for any reason you feel you need to call the vet do not hesitate to do so. And also, you might make a call to them to ask about what you are seeing in the poops. They may be able to tell you over the phone without a visit to the Vet office.

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Yes, I will keep that in mind. The vet also mentioned I could email them, since this was my first time taking a pet to the vet it was a very good experience, happy with the service so far.

Good news: Yoshi has a clean bill of health! I was instructed to monitor his poops for the next week and no treats for the week. The orange urine has stopped for now (from what I can see).

Anyway, enough of me being a worry wart!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Don't feel bad for worrying about him. I worried constantly about Boomer for years and once I knew for sure he was sick the worry made me go crazy but this is what us bird lovers do. I think it is just because they are so very much loved. I am happy Yoshi is all better now.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yaaaay!!!! That is great news!!!

Remove Ads