where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: How to catch an unknown budgie outside

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Maggie
    Thanks

How to catch an unknown budgie outside

I live in the Santa Cruz mountains, CA and I have a budgie in my yard. I put out a bird cage with food and a mirror. I have been talking to it and saying up and step up. held up a perch incase it is hand shy. I can only get about 5 feet from it before it flies away. It has been eating the seed I throw on the ground for the wild birds. I was thinking a box with a stick and string trap but I don't want to hurt it. Oh we have several hawks that hunt in our canyon! Anyone have any ideas? Is there any food they can't resist?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: How to catch an unknown budgie outside

Hi, Maggie! Welcome to the forum! I would suggest you go to a pet shop or a retail store and purchase a butterfly net. I don't know how long the handle might be, so you might have to find a way to extend the length of the handle so it will be long enough to catch him! This is a way to catch birds that would not injure them, and they can still breath as well!

Do you have a screened in porch? Or an outside screened in area? If you could somehow get him into that area and shut the door, and then use your butterfly net, you would not have such a distance to catch him in the screened in area, and you would not have to worry he will fly away and not fiind his way back. Also, get some millet sprigs that are in a package, at a pet store and see if you can put some in the cage, and also around the cage. Put the cage in a table so it is not in the ground. The Hawks might try to eat the millet and also could injure or kill the little budgie! Budgies love millet!

Do let us know if you catch him. Budgies are sweet and lovable! You will love having him in your home!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Maggie
    Thanks

I have a lovebird so I did try the millet this morning. I have a butterfly net but will have to lengthen handle. I hid it under my coat, but could not get close enough. I might be able to build a wire box with a trap door. Depends how long it stays around. He did come back for dinner. I put a little ladder at the cage door so it would be easy to find. It is a pretty green budgie with lighter flight feathers and a yellow head, it has a band on one leg.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

awww! Well,l I would say if he is banded, he probably flew out a door at someone's home. They can fly for long distances so it would be difficult, in my view to find the owner.

Here is another idea.....take the small box and cut a round hole in it as if you were making a nest box. Put some seeds in the box, sprinkle some outside and around the box, and then put some of the millet pieces broken off the sprig in the box and a couple of pieces right outside the hole you made in the box. Take a piece of sheer curtain and place on top of the box so that if he goes into the box, you can immediately pull that curtain over the top of the box. Then, throw the butterfly net over all, and you got him! Personally, I would not use wire. He can get injured, on the wire, in my view.
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-08-2016 at 07:20 AM.

Remove Ads