Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Male to Female ratio

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Male to Female ratio

Hi All

We currently have a male budgie and a female. The female is still in quarantine as we have only had her 2 weeks.

I have always said I would like to have 3 budgies (mainly because I have 3 kids so one for each child). Ideally I would like 4 in total but not sure if hubby would go for it. We are not interested in breeding.

So if we purchased another budgie should I get a male or female. My eldest would prefer a male as she has a name already chosen. We were going to get a male but turns out the male is a female.

Thanks

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Male to Female ratio

If they are basbiues it takes a few months to know whats sex they are. you can get DNA sexing kits on line or have as vet do the rest.

Having homed budgies for years, I would have all masles. Putting a female in the cage with males is going to get competition going between the males who will want to mate with the female. That will cause fighting amongst them. If you have two pairs, then they need to each have cages because pairs will mate, the been will lay eggs and then you have the eggs to deal with.

Three or more males in a cage would work. females have a tendency to get into sparing, and also can lay eggs every if they don't have a mate.

So if it were me I would find out what sex the two you have were. If hey are a pair, I would put them in a cage alone and get male budgies and house them in a separate cage.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

If they are babies, it takes a few months to know what sex they are. You can get DNA sexing kits on line or have a vet do the test.

Having homed budgies for years, I would have all males. Putting a female in the cage with males is going to get competition going between the males who will want to mate with the female. That will cause fighting amongst them. If you have two pairs, then they need to each have cages because pairs will mate, the hen will lay eggs and then you have the eggs to deal with.

Three or more males in a cage would work. Females have a tendency to get into sparing, and also can lay eggs every if they don't have a mate.

So if it were me I would find out what sex the two you have are. If they are a pair, I would put them in a cage alone and get male budgies and house them in a separate cage.

I apologize for the double post!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

To explain things more clearly we were going to get all males but after discussing with the staff where we purchased our first bird we decided on getting a female. We are not interested in breeding. So now we have a male and a female. After reading your reply it appears we have made the wrong decision.

Ideally 4 budgies would be better but not sure if my husband would agree with that many.

If we got 3 budgies in total what sex should the 3rd budgie be. If hubby agreed with 4 should it be 2 boys 2 girls or should we just stick with the 2 budgies.

They will all go in the same cage (I mentioned about getting a second cage for another bird and hubby doesn't want to do that)

Thanks

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

First of all, at your convenience, could you please post pictures of the two you have now? By looking at them I might be able to estimate whether they are boy/girl, or two of the same sex.

How big is your cage? With a mated pair you might be able to put another one in the cage if it is a cage such as a flight cage which is s good sized cage. But with a mated pair they just don't get along so well with other birds in the cage. Hormones always play a role in bird behavior. If you get another male, more than likely the two males will compete for the female. If you get another female, the two females may not get along and the male will pursue both of them. And of course, the females will lay eggs.

Do you have any breeders in your area that you could call and present the question to them? They may have a completely different view than I do.

I am writing from having the experience of keeping four males in a cage. I added what I thought was a male, and then the problems began because that bird was a female and all the males were pursuing her. One finally won her over, but I had to put the pair in a different cage.

I hope this information is helpful to you. These are just thought and opinions that I have shared.
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-08-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Remove Ads