Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Got the girls! Made a small album.

Name
    tracie
    Thanks

Got the girls! Made a small album.

Hello everyone. It has been very busy since we picked up the girls at the airport, but they have adjusted wonderfully we think. My little girl renamed them, they are now Peachy and Cheeky. Peachy has the most gentle disposition, and the least amount of toe and foot. So what she lacks in digits she makes up for in her kind nature. Cheeky isn't mean, she is curious, and when I take pictures she's the one walking right up to the camera with this look of "now what have you got there?" Or at least that's what I'm thinking. Cheeky can actually hang from the cages and smaller branches, she's got a little more toe/talon than Peachy, and she uses it. I thought about separating them, but I couldn't do it and feel good about it. They're so bonded, despite the very real difference in their character and personality. They wrestle and play on their backs. The first time I walked in and saw one on her back my heart almost stopped, out of the two gcc I had before, these two are the only ones I've seen play like that.
    Guys, I've also read that Pineapple gcc's have red eyes. Is this true? Because these two don't. They're a dark grey. I wanted to let yall know that I really appreciate your interest in seeing their pictures so I made an album a few minutes ago. All of the pictures of them on the cage were taken just awhile ago, and the ones of them eating the oats are from a couple of days after we got them. I hope you enjoy, and I'd really like to know what their coloration is called. Thanks very much. They are, lucky for me and my little girl the sweetest birds I've had up to present. Now, how do we keep them that way
    ~tracie

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 1,283 Posts

Re: Got the girls! Made a small album.

Oh, Tracy! They are the sweetest and most precious and beautiful conures. They look very healthy, and it appears to me their slight disabilities are not going to affect them at all. I totally agree you made the right decision to keep them together. As to their mutations, I would suggest you Google...conure mutations. There should be some information for you on line. And I'm hopeful some of our members with conures will be able to tell you their mutation. Perhaps when you do that search you might find something about the red eyes versus grey eyes. All birds definitely have their own personality. It sounds to me like they compliment each other.

I admire you and your daughter for bringing them into your home, and they have the perfect names..Peachy and Cheeky! Soooo neat! Do stop by often and give us updates! Congratulations!!!

Name
    tracie
    Thanks

Maxollie, you are the sweetest thing! And thank you so much for taking a look at the girls and checking out my post. I didn't know if anyone would end up taking a look at them or not, but as you said hopefully some of the more knowledgable conure owners will take a peek and let me know what they think. As for dropping by, I hope this forum becomes a place where I can be as useful and as uplifting as you are. You have a wonderful day ma'am. Thank you sincerely for your kindness.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You are so welcome Tracy! Like you, I just love little, previous birds, and when someone like you steps up to the plate to give special little ones like these a loving home, it so touches my heart.

Please stop by often. We will always welcome your posts, and of course hearing all about the twins!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so happy you came back and let us see them and hear how they are doing. I was worried a bit you forgot about us.

They are so precious and look so sweet. Just looking at them together tells me they are bonded and need to stay together. They look just like my daughters Pineapple Conure including the eyes. I want to put them on my chest and cuddle them!!! Do you know what happened to there feet? Poor little Peachy barely has feet but just like Ellen I think this will not slow them down. Birds really do adapt to anything and these two will to. Give them both a little birdy hug for me.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    tracie
    Thanks

Hey Deanna!! No I hadn't forgotten about this site, it's the friendliest that I've encountered, you and Ellen have been so kind, and the only ones to have talked to me up to present.(you don't know how much that means to me) But you have been so nice to reply to my posts, and actually look at the pics i posted in the album. If for no other reason than that I know that I can come here and you and Ellen will talk to me then I'll be here. I've perused the past posts and know that there are a lot of people here with practical and useful information that anyone with a bird would be grateful to have on hand. You mentioned Peachy's feet, and I was told that it was one of the parents who did it, probably in response to being banded. But that, i don't know for sure. You're daughter has a pineapple conure? I had two gcc's before these two. One I had to rehome because, for lack of a better description he HATED me. The other was the sweetest creature I've ever known and he died. That was a long time ago and it will probably always hurt when I think about him. I loved them both, and was always afraid that it was me that had made Sandoval hate me somehow, and a part of me is still afraid I will do the same thing, unknowingly, and make these two..or train these two to react to me in the same way. I have much to learn regarding developing a loving and mutually respectful with green cheeks. I need all the help I can get, and I realize that attitude is probably an overcompensation in reference to my experience with Sandoval. But I honestly do love these two little girls (?). And it's already obvious they love each other very much, and have their own dynamic. My job is finding out how I can be a part of that without teaching them something that excludes me from them as a pair. I want to be loved by them...It's only been 10 days since we picked them up from the airport. Cheeky is clearly in charge, Peachy is clearly devoted to Cheeky. How do I get in on that, so to speak? I've got so much that I want to do for them, and I very am so thankful for your message, I just want you to know that. Any information your daughter might have about getting greencheeks to warm up to you would be appreciated enormously as well. I guess the main thing is to take things slow. I look forward to seeing what happens...hopefully only good things!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

On occasion, there will be a bird who has an aggresive and I hate you personaliity. We never know when we get them what sort of life they had. In avaries where they are hatched, there are many different pairs and their young. I am of the opinion it is a combination of dna, the environment and the experiences of life they have before coming to us that help mold their ability to love their home and environment and us.

As you probably know, the eggs hatch every other day. If there are 5-6 eggs, then the parents have a big family to feed. The first 2-3 eggs that hatch get a faster start due to being older snd getting more food. I know from the budgie pair I bred, the first one hatched was bigger, of course because he got the early start. And as a result, he was not hateful, but he did tend to be the boss of the other three. And also, a bird that was a breeder previously, then is rehomed, can be aggressive as well. I once was given a pair of budgies that were older. I had no real history on them, but they were sooo mean. I tried everything to warm up to them, and never had any luck. I rehomed them to a person who had several budgies. They were not happy campers and were no fun having in my home for sure. I think they were a pair of breeders.

I feel positive you can be successful at bonding with both of them. My thought is to either make or buy a little play gym. It does not have to be very big. Have some fun time with them. Take about an hour or so a day, place them on the gym close by to you, and take one at a time, hold her, talk to her, let her explore your shoulder, perhaps let her sit on your foot, or on your hand. Then take the other one and do the same thing. Then take both at once. While one is playing on the gym, you play with the other. This will establish a bond between you three. And playing only with one at a time after doing this exercise should not bother the other.
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-23-2016 at 10:46 AM.

Remove Ads