where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Quaker Parakeet Breeding

Name
    Caroline
    Thanks

Question Quaker Parakeet Breeding

Hi everyone!

I have a few questions regarding Quakers.

I just purchased a pair of Monks and they have 2 eggs, apparently this is the second time they lay eggs, however their first batch didn't give any chicks. The previous owners said they had no idea if the eggs were fertile or not. They are in fact male and female. I have noticed they seem uninterested in brooding, is this normal? If I approach the cage one of them darts into the nesting box and if I leave they come out.

I would like some input on this, I have been reading everything I can find regarding these birds but I feel that there is more to it. Anyone on here breeds these birds?

I know it requires time, money and patience I just want to make sure I am doing things rights for them.

Thanks!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 1,294 Posts

Re: Quaker Parakeet Breeding

Hi, and welcome to the community. Were the eggs laid before you got them? Do you know how old the birds are? If the eggs are at least a week old, you can take a pen light flash light and shine it into the egg. If you see tiny red veins and the embryo attached onto the inside wall of the egg, then the eggs would be fertile.

Further, if you have not seen them mating, there is a possibility you may have two females.

If you google breeding quakers, you should be able to find info on how they nest, and what their behaviors may be during breeding. Usually, a pair does not like anyone bothering the nest. So, if you do candle the eggs, that means looking into the shell, do it when there they are both out of the nest. You do run a risk of the hen abandoning the eggs if you touch the eggs or alter the nest.

You need to give them plenty of cuttlebone for calcium, and feed fresh veggies and fruits along with seeds. Check out a good diet for them when you are resesrching breeding online.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-30-2016 at 06:28 PM.

Name
    Caroline
    Thanks

Hello and thanks for the reply and advise!

The bird had eggs when I got them, apparently there was a third egg but they ate it, the previous owners told me they would release them if they didn't get to sell them so here they are.
    I haven't seen them mating, I have read of how they act when the hormones are active and I havent seen these birds do any of that. I will however have them sexed by blood test soon.

I wanted to candle the eggs when I got out of work and just now I opened the nesting box and the eggs are seperated, pushed to different sides of the box so I assume this clutch is a no go, should I take the eggs from them now or should I leave them in for a few more days? I have read that some people wait a certain ammount of time and then take them away.

I have a pair of cockatiels in a big flight cage outside, is it ok to but the Quakers cage in the same area or is it just going to bother them? I would like to breed these birds the right way. I am already giving them calcium supplements, giving them fresh veggies and fruit. I will be looking into what else I can do for them. Thanks again!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Since you do not know when these eggs were hatched, and it is apparent they have no interest in them, if it were me, I would remove them and the nest box. My thinking is to keep giving them the calcium and other foods, and get their health at tip top level, so they have good calcium content in their bodies before you let me know hem nest. Normally, I would say to leave the eggs with them for at least 21 days, but with them leaving an old home, and adjusting to a new one, and not knowing if the eggs could be spoiled, it is best to remove them.

I would wait about a month before putting the nest box back in the cage. If either lay an egg on the cage floor, before then, then you can put the box back in, and carefully transfer egg to nest box. Then keep a journal of each egg laid. Take the first egg, and write the number 1 on it with an ink pen. In your journal write date egg was laid, and the time it was laid, and do the same for each egg laid.

All parrot species are different as to breeding and laying eggs and the eggs hatching.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Since you do not know when these eggs were hatched, and it is apparent they have no interest in them, if it were me, I would remove them and the nest box. My thinking is to keep giving them the calcium and other foods, and get their health at tip top level, so they have good calcium content in their bodies before you let them nest. Normally, I would say to leave the eggs with them for at least 21 days, but with them leaving an old home, and adjusting to a new one, and not knowing if the eggs could be spoiled, it is best to remove them.

I would wait about a month before putting the nest box back in the cage. If either lay an egg on the cage floor, before then, then you can put the box back in, and carefully transfer egg to nest box. Then keep a journal of each egg laid. Take the first egg, and write the number 1 on it with an ink pen. In your journal write date egg was laid, and the time it was laid, and do the same for each egg laid. On occasion they lay eggs at night, but not very often. The eggs are laid every other day. You can candle after about 7 days. Also, check out the web for info on quaker breeding.

All parrot species are different as to breeding and laying eggs and the eggs hatching.

I would keep the two bird cages at a distance, if you decide to put them in the area with cockatiels.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-03-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Hi Caroline, Welcome to the forum. I do not know much about breeding so I really cannot answer your questions but Maxollie has given you some great advice. I just wanted to say that Quakers (Monk parrots) actually live in Chicago as wild birds so no doubt they can live outdoors where you live. I hope the Hurricane heading towards Haiti does not cause you any problems.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I also send prayers for safety for you, friends, family and the birds and other pets, with the approach of hurricane Matthew, and further, please excuse the double post.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-03-2016 at 07:56 PM.

Banned Brand New Egg
    Name
    Aka
    Thanks

Hi Caroline, Welcome to the forum
    ทดลองเล่น royal1688