Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: does this bird look okay?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Alycia
    Thanks

Exclamation does this bird look okay?

Back story:
    I have bought this bird off a breeder, she says he hatched on the 15th of july.
    He weaned on friday the 21st. She brought him to me and i was stoked!

But as i posted photos of him i began to worry as people were saying his feather condition is poor.. breeder says due to the formula. He will get softer as he grows.
    They say he looks younger then the breeder says, She says he hatched the 15th of july.

his tail feathers broke due to his become to big for the cage that had other babies being hand fed.

What do you think?
    Do i send him back?

**ps i am aware the seed dish shouldnt be above the water but he wasnt eating nor drinking so i moved dishes closer. I wasnt about to move it once he began eating,
    [IMG]

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

Re: does this bird look okay?

Hi, Alycia, and welcome to the community. Awww! He is soo precious!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-29-2016 at 08:02 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

He is such a sweet baby. From looking at the pictures, he does not look to be more than eight to ten weeks old. Do you know what he was eating for the formula, at the breeders. It will take some work and good foods and seeds to bring his feather quality and him to good health. He could have been the last one hatched in the clutch, and also he just could have DNA that naturally makes him smaller than some at that age.

I would not take him back yet. Here is some info you can consider. If he were my baby, I would still feed him some bird formula. Get a can of the formula powder at a pet shop, and also get a plastic syringe. Go on YouTube and search, hand feeding a baby tiel. You can watch the videos and see how they are fed with a syringe. For him, I would start his day with some luke warm formula. For about a week feed the formula only. After that, in the morning formula you can add a few seeds mixed in with the formula. Also, if you prefer, you can use a small plastic spoon to feed if you prefer. Feed so crop is about 1/2 full, because he is going to be eating seeds and other foods in the daytime. Feed formula morning and night before bed time. At night, also just fill his crop about half full.

Get a good quality seed mix. I would not feed him any pellets now. Maybe in a couple of months you could consider mixing some pellets with his seed, but for now just feed seed. Put the seed in a seed cup, and place it at the end of a perch, or in a spot where he will have no problem finding the seed. Each day about an hour after you feed the morning formula, even though he has seeds in the cup, bring him out of the cage, and put some of the seeds in your hand and let him eat some. Also, get some leaf lettuce, wash it with some vinegar and water, shred it into small pieces and let him eat it out of your hand. Also place a bigger piece through the cage bars near the seed cup and see if he will eat some that way.

Feed the seed and lettuce, by letting him eat it out of your hand every couple or three hours each day. Then at about 5 o'clock in the afternoon give him some more powdered formula, only. This will keep his tummy full until morning. No seeds or lettuce. Also be sure to give him plenty of water each day. You can use an eye dropper to give him drops of water. Also put a watercup in his cage as well.

From looking at the pics, his feathers are just not fully grown as yet. That is why they look rather scruffy. He will be losing down feathers, and they will be replaced with pernanent feathers. Then at about a year old, he will have a hard molt, and all of his feathers will be replaced.

I would continue this daily regimen for a couple of weeks. Get a food scale and weigh him every morning before you feed the formula. He should gain a small amount every day or so, or hold his weight. He should not lose weight.

Within those couple of weeks he should learn to eat his seeds and lettuce, and look better. By then, you could probably discontinue the night feeding of formula. Continue feeding the morning formula for about another week or ten days. By then, he should be eating well, and you can discontinue the formula.

Go to a website called Cockatiel Cottage. There, you will find a big list of foods you can feed, and foods to never feed, and tons of good info about tiel care.

Do stop by and let us know how he is doing. I think you will see a big difference for the better in him, within a few weeks.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-29-2016 at 08:53 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Alycia
    Thanks

The breeder swears up and down he was hatched july 15th so he would be 3 and 1/2 months.
    I will look into getting a formula. He is eating seed now.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It is entirely possible he was hatched in July. It is always difficult to tell for sure how old they are, even when they get to be years older. It also could be you have a girl. They are more dainty than males. Did the breeder do a DNA test on your baby to know for sure it is a male?

I would say it is always up to the caregiver to make decisions concerning their little birds. If you feel you need to return him, then I would do so.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I would get the formula just to supplement its diet for awhile and continue giving it the seeds. It sure is a very pretty bird but with all those pin feathers it sure makes it look younger.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads