where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Breeding questions

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dima
    Thanks

Breeding questions

Hello im new to the community and i have a few questions about breeding. 1. What is the maximum age difference for breeding them 2. My cockatiels dont like each and they bite alot will they breed? 3. My female cockatiel stuck her butt out when i was petting her does that mean shes sexually active? 3. Does vitamins in water make them breed?
    Thanks

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

Re: Breeding questions

Hi, Dima, and welcome to the community. How old are your pair? What foods and seeds do you feed them? In my view, a pair should be about 1 1\2-2 years old before you would breed them. Google .....breeding cockatiels, or information on cockatiel breeding. There is great info on the web about breeding. Birds are like humans in that they are not attracted to every bird. Have your pair been together for awhile? Usually, fall and spring are the times that tiels breed, but it could be other times of the year as well. I suggest you go to Youtube and search for..cockatiels mating. They have several videos that will show you how they mate. The more info you can find about breeding the better. It is no easy task to breed birds, so the more education you can have before trying breeding, the better.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, Dima, and welcome to the community. How old are your pair? What foods and seeds do you feed them? In my view, a pair should be about 1 1\2-2 years old before you would breed them. Google .....breeding cockatiels, or information on cockatiel breeding. There is great info on the web about breeding. Birds are like humans in that they are not attracted to every bird. Have your pair been together for awhile? Usually, fall and spring are the times that tiels breed, but it could be other times of the year as well. I suggest you go to Youtube and search for..cockatiels mating. They have several videos that will show you how they mate. The more info you can find about breeding the better. It is no easy task to breed birds, so the more education you can have before trying breeding, the better.

Vitamins alone will not make them breed. Go to a website called cockatiel cottage. There you will find great info about what to feed them to condition them, and foods you can feed and foods to never feed. They also have a section on breeding. Personally, I put a few drops of vitamins in the seed cup every ten days or so, because the vitamins can go rancid in the water and make the birds sick.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I added a few more thoughts in the second post.

Remove Ads