Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New Budgie Behavior

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

New Budgie Behavior

I recently got a new budgie (his name is Winky) four days ago. I believe he's about 6 months (maybe older). He refuses to eat anything other than millet and never moves or plays with his toys. He occasionally chirps for attention and sings when his favorite songs are playing, but freezes up whenever I move my hand inside his cage to replace his water and food. I have been talking to him, singing, turning on the radio/music/movies, playing my violin, reading, and resting my hand gently on the outside of his cage. I just want to make sure that how Winky is acting is normal I am a first-time bird owner so I'm not sure if I'm doing everything correctly.

Thank you!
    Last edited by kimaheen; 04-26-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

Re: New Budgie Behavior

Hi, and welcome to the community. It does take a few days for them to be less afraid and more trusting. I have had budgies that did not eat or drink for 4-5 days when I first brought them home. Winky is acting just like most new budgies, and I look for him to begin eating and drinking very soon, probably tomorrow or Friday at the latest.

All of the things you are doing to make him comfortable are perfect. Budgies love music, and they like us to talk to them. You can sit by his cage and eat a snack while you are talking to him. That might get him interested in eating his seeds and millet. If you have other questions or concerns, please post them. We will welcome updates.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you so much! Winky has definitely settled in, he climbs his toys and chirps so much! He has improved greatly, and I'e been able to start hand-training him as well I have been a little concerned with his health. His cere seems a bit flaky, but he shows no other signs of illness. His poop looks normal, he's very energetic, and he's not always fluffed up like some sick budgies. I'm worried that he has mites, but I haven't been bitten by anything and he shows no signs of mites besides his cere. Do you know if there's something wrong with him? Sorry to bother you, and thank you for the warm welcome

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

No bother at all. I do not think it is mites. Budgies very rarely if at all get mites. I think the beak is flaking because it is turning slowly into an adolescent beak and the cells are making new beak. I am so happy Winky is doing great. I absolutely love budgies. Please stop back often and let us know how he is doing.

Remove Ads