Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Issue with my lovebird Eggs

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Issue with my lovebird Eggs

Hello everybody, this is my 1st thread in this great forum, I have 2 couples of peach-faced lovebirds, first couple laid 4 eggs, the 1st was on Dec 6th, the hen started to incubate the eggs regular from the 1st day, it is 25 days now since laying the first egg and still did not hatch, I do candling and these are the results;

For egg #1

egg #2

egg #3

egg #4

Actually I don't know which pic for which egg number, as I am not marking the eggs and the numbers here for count only, but it passed now 25 days for the 1st egg, 23d for the 2nd, 21d for the 3rd and 19d for the last one, all birds are in good health with no any symptoms for diseases.

The 2nd couple laid 6 eggs, the 1st was on Dec 8th, the hen start to incubate the eggs after the 4th egg, there are 2 eggs looks not fertile as it is totally clear but the other 4 are all good but still not hatch.

My concern is about are these eggs good or not?, and usually how long it will take for hatching normal fertile eggs?, I have excellent history in budgie but it is the 1st time for me to breed Lovebirds, from online data it said from 21-24 days, but I am sure the experience has a great role.

The weather in my region is really cold reaching sometimes 6 C, and the cages are in the terrace.

So what I should do, just wait or I should candle the eggs or what?, thanks.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,295 Posts

Re: Issue with my lovebird Eggs

Hi, and welcome to the community. If it were me, I would not disturb the nest or the eggs and the parronts. I would wait at least ten days before considering the eggs to not be hatching. Sometimes, they mate while the hen sets on other eggs. Then that mating produces more eggs, but is considered to be another clutch. Therefore, the regular 21-24 day cycle for hatching would need to be extended for that new clutch.

We do have some very seasoned breeders here, and I'm sure they will see your post and reply. Like you, I have bred budgies but no lovebirds.

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

Re: Issue with my lovebird Eggs

Wait 27 days after the last egg. As you said it generally took between 21 and 24 days but with cold temperature it can take longer.
    You don't need to candle anymore the eggs are fertile, I don"t really like those stains, maybe the embryo is dead, but to be sure wait those 27 days.