Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally coming back!!

Thanks

Re: Finally coming back!!

I'm taking Linus to the vet tomorrow at 4:20pm. I feel very worried. He dropped 3 more grams. I'm pretty sure he is acting completely normal but I'm a basket case as it Is, so now I'm questioning everything. After they ate loads of seeds Linus got a little vocal. Doesn't happen often.

https://youtu.be/2IuoHrkPKO0

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I love your videos!! I hope Linus is OK and it is his moot making him not feel good.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Gemma Watson
    Thanks

Amazing! Love his whistle. Thanks for posting. Seem he is Much excited
    A great portal for enthusiastic bird owners ParakeetHome and MacawLand

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

You're a great birdy mama. He is certainly enjoying those scritches! Linus does maybe look a little puffed and withdrawn, but it is hard to tell. One of mine was a little "off" similar to this and needed some antibiotics - higher than normal levels of gram negative gut bacteria. Fixed him right up. So it may be something simple like that. The weight dropping is a concern so I am glad you are headed to the vets, just in case! It is better to err on the side of caution because birds try so hard to hide their illnesses, so hopefully if it is anything at all you have caught it early. Wishing you the best of luck at the vets. Please give Linus a head scritch on my behalf!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 1,018 Posts

Awww!!! That video is awesome! You have two very vocal buddies! Soooooo neat! We will watch for updates. It was a good decision to take him to the vet for a wellness check.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Thanks

Hey everyone!
    We went to the vet yesterday.... we didnt see the owner of the clinic this time, but the girl we saw seemed very knowledgeable. She checked Linus out all over, she said everything looks good and he is in great shape.
    She said with my concerns of him losing weight, AND just yesterday I noticed his poops are super teeny tiny.... we could start some tests.... She went to check the prices on the tests and when her and her assistant came back they said they talked and they feel they would be confident in telling me to not do any tests yet, and just monitor him closely. Make sure he is eating and drinking etc etc. The tests were $300 so I decided we would wait on those.

Im pretty sure he seems just fine... he has always been a quiet, scared little guy.... Im really worrying about his teeny poops though... Luckily we have a long weekend, and I dont really have much planned so we will be having him out alot and making sure he is eating well.

Here are the boys after Linus came back from the vet......
    Last edited by FunkatronJive; 08-05-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! I love them! They almost look like twins! Are you by chance feeding pellets? They tend to make the poops very dry, and they will be smaller. If you are feeding pellets only, I would suggest adding seeds as well. My preference would be 80% seed and 20% pellets. Also encourage them to eat plenty of fresh veggies. You can chop them fine, and put some in a separate cup or plate, sprinkle some seeds over the veggie mix as well. Also, encourage them to drink lots of water.

I may have shared this info with you before. If so, I apologize for the repeat.

I think you were wise to forego the tests. Tests are soooo very stressful for them. With watching tbe diet and water consumption hopefully he willl be fine. Being more quiiet snd reserved is often because of the parents' DNA that the babies inherit. We will welcome updates anytime.

Thanks

The boys have been doing OK...
    I am an EXTREME worrier so we had a rough weekend... I was doing way too much research and stressing over every little thing... I kept sending my breeder pictures of the paper towel after the boys would poop. I was convinced the pee was yellowish green...but she kept saying it looks normal...

I noticed the food dish was still pretty full each morning.. so I was worried something was wrong with Archie too. Someone is losing ALOT of little feathers..... my breeder said its normal for them not to eat as much when they molt... an online friend had told me I NEED to get them a little seed every day... so since I was doing that all last week maybe I ruined them on the pellets.... (we previously did not feed seed once we got them eating pellets well). I was happy to see yesterday after work the food dish was empty.... the kids had them out ALOT yesterday, and then I did again in the evening..

Hopefully all is well with my boys and they just had an off week. I need to get new batteries tonight for my kitchen scale and continue to monitor Linus... Any tips on weighing birds? I have been using a bowl but Linus jumps around like crazy inside which doesn't give me an accurate reading.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I am super happy to hear they are doing OK. It is a worry to have birds, because I think they just bring to us a sense of love that one never really experiences, until you have two special ones like Linus and Archie. It is great that you can call the breeder and she will answer your questions, and give you support.

I am thinking if you were to use a millet sprig while weighing him, that might work. Put him in the bowl, let him eat millet off the sprig while you weigh him. Do they have larger food scales, or just small ones. It has been a long time since I used one, and that one was quite small. If you have a larger one, it might work better.

I am sending many scritches to those two precious little guys. We will watch for updates.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

When weighing my birds I put some seeds on the middle of the scales before zeroing it. They tend to hop on willingly to get the seed

Remove Ads