Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Is a conure for me?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Amberlin
    Thanks

Question Is a conure for me?

Good morning,

I am thinking about creating a small flock after I find a new job. I did an intensive research on which parrot species fits my lifestyle better and I decided that I am compatible with all parrots that do not usually have the tendency of talking and isn't a large parrot. I made that decision because I am deaf and I do not use my voice to speak. I can hear Lou's shrills but I am not comfortable with the idea of not knowing what the bird said if a guest taught it a word or it learned something from TV. I do not want to have the bird to say something offensive and I did not know. So, I narrowed my bird list to; lovebirds, parrotlets, budgies, and cockatiels. My research on bird species is still ongoing. I plan to either adopt/rescue every parrot I own, because I know that there are too many of unwanted parrots that people bought without knowing their needs and noise levels.

After I rescued Lou, my little mischievous lovebird, I instantly fell in love with him. I looked after a cockatiel before and I knew I will want one in the future. I never took care of a conure but I always see them around and I am unsure about them. I read that they do not normally talk but I understand that some conure species are extremely loud, like a sun conure. I am fine with a noisy bird or birds that would shrill sometimes but not constantly. Although I will not be able to hear a bird's constant screams if I am in other room, I do not want a bird species that would scream all day and give my hearing and non-birdy guests a headache. (I have a very large family who regularly visit each other and most of them are hearing).

Yes, I am aware that it is more difficult to tame rescued parrots (I have a lot of experience with taming adopted/rescued non-avian pets, this will just expand my skills to parrots). Yes, all parrots will always be out of the cage (separately if needed) when I am home and get plenty of attention. Lastly but not the least, I did my research on each parrot species I mentioned above and I am able to meet their needs. I only want to know if I am compatible with some of conure species.
    Last edited by ilusdawn; 01-22-2017 at 05:56 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Is a conure for me?

Suns and Jendey conures are both loud and really active but I do not hear of many of them talking. I have heard that they will flock call but not all the time and I would imagine they would sort of like Lou but a little louder. My daughter has a Pineapple conure and he talks, he actually says about 10 different things clearly and mumbles lots more.

I admire you for rescuing a bird. There are so many birds that need a second home and it sounds like you would be a great owner to them. My friend works for a huge rescue out of San Francisco and has fostered many of there birds. Sadly they are over whelmed with birds needing a forever home but they are lucky and have lots of fosters to take them all in until they get adopted.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Humlae
    Thanks

I dont know.
    maxbet

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I had a maroon belly conure for twenty years and she/he talked a little. Frankie had belonged to my friend and displayed aggressive behavior toward her daughter so I took her in. She became my best pal but was also hormonal and would nip me with no provocation. I just became very careful not to put her anywhere near my face because she seemed​ to like to nip my nose or upper lip if I was going to give her a kiss. I refer to her as a female butI never knew her sex. This breed is similar to green-cheek conures. Both are quieter. If I had the money and the time I would definitely be getting another one.

Remove Ads