where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2 female Sharing eggs and nesting box

Name
    Kat
    Thanks

Re: 2 female Sharing eggs and nesting box

Can they eat cucumber? I just got some and wonder if they are ok to have it, i would rather hear stuff from your u guys than the rest of the internet lol.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,295 Posts

I would not feed them nor regular head lettuce' because both have a big percentage of water, and the birds will get very loose, watery poops. You can feed whole wheat bread pieces. My two love them, but quite honestly, they have more fun shredding the bread with their beaks and getting it all over the cage bottom. Lately my two have been sitting in the seed cup and scratching all the seed out of the cup, onto the cage floor and out of the cage onto a plastic table cloth I have on the floor so I don't have to run the vac all the time. Little stinkers!!!!! My Marlee, perches upside down on the inside of the cage and sleeps!!! Lolol

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Ok Thanks for the info, I will keep my eye on them. And Oops, lol the favourite foods my birds eat is normal iceberg (head) lettuce. And I have given cucumber but they didn't seem to go for it much, same with carrot. They nibble on oranges and peaches but again they go nuts on lettuce. There poops are runny but thought that was just because they laying. Will try the diced mixed veggies and seed in the ice cube trays that seems like they would go for it maybe if it's diced and hopefully better for the stools. Also want to try sprouting some seeds and some baby cereals and foods, plus dried fruits and veggies if they want something crunchier and are being picky lol, thanks maxollie you have been a great help.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

They will not get real serious to set constantly for awhile, so no worries. Since they are older, it is not unusual for a hen to only lay one egg. This is her first time laying, and my thought is that hen probably did not mate with the male, and the only reason she laid was that her hormones kicked in because the male came into the scene. Just let her keep the one egg. Do not throw it out.

Your ideas for feeding them are GREAT!! You can find sprouting on line. Just Google....how to sprout seeds for cockatiels. You can feed the head lettuce if you prefer. It will not hurt them.
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-25-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Yeah I think your right, the odd hen out (sea saw) has still just laid the one and pika just laid her third 4 days after the first. and the pair are sitting again and the odd hen hasn't sat on her egg since the first few days.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

If all goes well, they will have a nice size clutch. Usually tiels lay 4-5 eggs, but on occasion more. We will welcome updates.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

So I'm getting worried again, the hen pika laid her 3rd egg last night and sat on the eggs all night, and Tom the male keeps going in there to help, but today the hen came out to eat and Tom isn't sitting on them by himself so the eggs are just left. Today is day 7 from the first egg layed and no one is sitting... Should I be getting an incubator?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I do not think the male does much, if any setting of the eggs. The hen sat on them all night. That is probably 8-9 hours. In my view, I do not think right now it is a problem. You could get the incubator purchased and all set up, should you need to use it. The eggs are protected from the environment and colder air by the nest box. Keep a close watch, and let me know what the next few days bring for her setting habits.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

So she just came off for about two hrs to eat drink and hang out then went back on? Is that to long to stay off the eggs? And why won't the male help😪

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Ok so male doesn't help much? Says he is supposed to sit during the day and hen during the night for warmth online

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

So came to the conclusion I'm going to wait until last egg laid so two days after last egg laid before pulling the eggs, might lose first laid or two but hopefully she will sit more consistantly soon. I want to pull eggs as last resort but don't want to lose them all if they are fertile. Does this seem logical? And how long can she stay off her eggs before I'm to deem her an unfit egg sitter lol. Not really finding any solid info online for longest time she can be away.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

So Tomorrow night she is supposed to lay another, if she does not lay another and does not sit the day after that's when I will pull eggs sry hope that's a little easier to understand and sry for the billion posts lol

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Personally, I would not rush pulling the eggs. All bird hens have to set on and with the eggs for the 21 day incubation period. It does no matter whether they are fertile or not. If you take them from her, nature has made her to replace those eggs and she will almost immediately start to lay eggs again. You do not want that to happen, because she will become a chronic egg layer, which means she will lay eggs all of the time. That will ruin her health, and deplete her calcium levels. Incubators for bird eggs are generally used only in emergencies, or to incubate eggs that were left from a hen who passed away. And were fertile, and needed the incubator to hatch them.

It is not like having farm chickens. The farmers often put the eggs in incubators. For birds that just is not necessary.

I've had a hen tiel that was a single hen without a mate. I've watched how she laid her eggs and took care of them, and she did not have a nest box but laid eggs on the cage floor. She did not start serious setting until about two weeks after the last egg was laid. And she sat sometimes in the daytime, and sometimes at night. But not constantly 24 hours.

As I always say, these are my own thoughts and opinions. It is always the decision of the caregiver how to care for their birds.
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-26-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Makes sence maxollie and I agree, I want to let nature take its course by all means but if I feel if the eggs are neglected and will die other wise (if there fertile) then I want to save them. But if this is bad for her then I Really don't want to. Could I replace eggs with fake ones and place the chicks in when they hatch? again I'm only thinking last resort.

And your hen didn't sit for two weeks after the last egg? Would they not die if they would have been fertile?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

And I feel better now, she hasn't come off for more then a few hrs at a time and I can't find any info regarding cockatiels eggs and how long they can be left but finding info on chickens and they say they can be left for hrs with no issues, people saying some leave for 4-5 hrs and still get hatches. So that helps put me at ease a little and yeah I'll just let her do her thing and not get involved to much and just be thankful she is healthy and happy and still comes out to say hi and get treats lol. And I'll try to prepare myself for the fact that they might not be fertile or if they are that they might not hatch, even though that's a bitter pill to swallow.