Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2 female Sharing eggs and nesting box

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 1,258 Posts

Re: 2 female Sharing eggs and nesting box

Wow! I have a feeling they are mating in private!!!! she could have two different clutches. It is likely some of those eggs will be fertile.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

So we have 9 eggs total now and getting an egg every day right now, candled again the other night and still not looking fertile but again hoping some of the later ones we are just getting could be. I'm positive most eggs are pikas but sea saw seems to be laying again and her a Tom have been mating a lot. They have a good chance to be fertile because it's been over a week or two they have been mating. And it's crazy there's so many eggs all three birds pack into the tiny 10"x 12" nesting box😳 At times and all sit, but normally there's at least two birds sitting. I'm kinda glad sea saw only
    Layed one egg weeks ago now it seems and she is laying again while pika is still laying, that way they both lay there full clutch and hopefully take a much needed break after the eggs and possibly babies. And I'm scared for future hatches at the possibility of 10+ babies if they lay together again in six months or so. Lol hopefully I get a few babies hatch this round so me and the parents can get used to having a nest and babies before dealing with so many... Either way I'm prepared for anything lol. Going to get some formula soon so I have on hand. Anyone have any recommendations on good brands? Want them to get the best diet they can!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

The eggs are laid every other day, so both of them are laying now. I do agree Tom must be having a rondeaux with both of them!!!!!. I do have concern how all of these eggs will ever hatch properly in one small nest box. And the challenge will be to not remove any eggs for sometime after several have hatched, in case they are fertile.

You just might have to pull some of those babies and handfeed them. I once had a breeder who had a ten gallon aquarium that he used to sustain their lives. He had some nesting material in the bottom, and kept a heating pad on low heat on one side of the aquarium and covered it with a piece of screen. He fed around the clock including night feedings. I really hope they can remain with the parents, but it is always good to be prepared. During your down time, do some research on line...google,....proper procedure for pulling baby cockatiels from the nest, and hand feeding them. Or something to that affect. Do you think if you got another nest box and put some of the eggs in there the hens would work to incubate both nests. I know it is not recommended to move the eggs or disturb the nest, but when those eggs start to hatch there is not going to be enough room for all the babies and the adults. The babies can smother or be piled on top of each other.

Do some research and write back some of your thoughts, please.

Several years ago the brand baby formula Kaytee had a recall. So I would not use Kaytee Exact. But there are other good ones. Post some other names and I will respond.
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-03-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Well I have a feeling many of there eggs are not fertile but time will tell I will candle again in a few days, but a lot are quite old and not showing any signs of veins or a red dot. As of a few days ago so probly 8 day since first eggs all yolks look Orange and the eggs are quite empty. Again some of the later ones might be I'm not sure. And I was wondering about nest size as well but the hens seem to like sharing the nest in general they both sit but they relive each other, if it seem more then a few are fertile as I go then I might start to think about a bigger best box or perhaps your right and might be good now. I was thinking a 12"x12" is standard and can house a pair and up to 8 eggs. So maybe if I build a 12" x 18" next box out of plywood (my dad has a wood shop lol) that's 50% bigger for the extra parent and eggs and will be almost double what they have. But again I would hate to move the nest in case they leave it to long so might wait and see what happens. I will defiantly look at what formulas are Available and post back what brands for your guys thoughts. And might build the new box to have handy and have already been looking at hand feeding ect but hope I don't need to untill a 14 days I think it said once they only need 4 feedings a day so we can hand tame them. Also we will figure out a safe place to house the chicks for sure.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Also for future nesting I will have the bigger box and offer the extra standard box I have. That way the hens can choose if they want to best together in the bigger box or have separate nests. Just hope they don't both choose the smaller box lol.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

And it appears pika is done laying as no new eggs last night so total 7 from her and looks like 2 from sea saw so far but she's due to lay again tonight.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Your plan sounds great to me. Building the nest now even though you may not need it is a great idea. The real challenge is to know what eggs are fertile, and those that are not. And hens need to have all there eggs for those 21 days at least, because especially with these two, they could have more than one clutch going now. I do think see saw is probably laying fertilized eggs now. I have confidence you will work it all out.

One thought I have, is the next time you breed them, keep a journal. Each day one lays an egg, carefully remove it and mark it no. 1, with a pen. Then in your journal write the day and date laid. Next egg, #2 etc. Also, if you definitely know which hen laid the egg, put initials on the egg with the pen...P for Pica, and SS for sea saw. That way, you will have a better idea of when the eggs will be hatching for each hen. The eggs hatch every other day.

Thanks for the update. We will look for more.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

That's a great idea, I have notes on when each egg was layed but I didn't mark the eggs so have no way to tell who's is who's. But I am confident we are having two clutches layed and again very doubtful all are fertile but should be night and day differance if some are fertile to the non fertile.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Aok! Sounds like all is going well!

Remove Ads