Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2 female Sharing eggs and nesting box

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

2 female Sharing eggs and nesting box

So I'm new here and have a few questions about an unusual situation, 2 female sisters that have been together for 6 years and were already building a nest together and share the box. I recently got a male that's about 5yrs, I witnessed the male mating with one sister the day after we got him and we put him in with the girls right away so he could have mated with the other as well by didn't see it, Now yesterday (two days after mating) the girls layed an egg then a few hrs later layed another in the same box, is it safe to say both are laying? Because they only lay one every 48hrs? Now dad isn't very helpful and doesn't go in the nest box and the girls share the nesting duty and take turns? What is going on here and what do I do? The girls get along fine for the most part and the male is good with them. And he apparently has raised babies before. Can two moms raise possibly two clutches of eggs?

Thanks

Re: 2 female Sharing eggs and nesting box

Some species bred in the same nest, but for all I know cockatiel is not one of them. If there is no agressivity between the two females I would be tempted to say, why not but agressivity can appear after the hatching and even if the two females get along well after the hatching it will be a lot of work for the male, maybe too much work.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Yes this could get interesting and I was afraid that, so no way do the females help feeding even if they are acting as if they are a bo fed pair? The male is useless right now and has not even entered the nest box. Very curious to see how many eggs and if all or any are fertile. Be nice if only one clutch is fertile. Also for the future if I was to build a larger breeding cage could two pairs possibly libe in there if I was to get another male? I would hate to split the hens they are really close but I guess they will probly be happier with male mates

Thanks

In the first weeks the male feed his female and after the female feed the chicks, so 2 females for 1 male... I don't say it's impossible but it's going to exhaust him too much.

But first you don't know if the eggs of the 2 females are fertile. Candle the eggs 1 week after the last egg laid. Do you have any experience in hand-feeding?

----------------------------------------------------------

Two pairs in the same cage, yes, why not, depend of the size of the cage.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Yeah I will candle the eggs for sure and no experience hand feeding but have always herd the horror stories of how
    Much work Involved. Could I supplement the girls and or babies with feedings as dad would? Lol the hens are pretty close to me as well, they take turns on the nest then come hang out with me and demand scratches and snacks. And perfect I'll build a large breeder cage and place nesting boxes opposite ends and get another male. Plus I will make tha cage have a removable decide in case any nest stealing or fighting but my concern then would be both hens still sharing a nest box but dads not on board with sharing lol

Thanks

Complex situation.

Candle the eggs at the right time if you know how.

" Could I supplement the girls and or babies with feedings as dad would"

If all eggs are fertile I think it's the best solution, but you have to know a lot of things before doing that.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

yeah I think I can figure out how to candle the pics online helped a lot basically look for either blood ring earlier or a more solid mass with veiny looking egg to see if fertile. Especially if I have some of each should be easy in 5-10 day mark by look of it. And yeah hand feeding is a road I will only cross if necisary but I'm still trying to learn what I can about it.

Another problem I have is the nest box was always on top of a cupboard and it was just a box they have always played in then I sealed it and cut a hole to make it more cozy. They were playing in it for a while with no issues and seemed to be nesting so that's when i got the male with future intentions. The girls only played in the nest box during the day and were on the cage at night there always out all day with me. So about 40 hrs ago they layed the two eggs within hrs of each other and cought me by surprise. The first night I didn't want to mess with things so I left the one girl out (which I really didn't want to do). But on the morning she was just the Perch by the cage. So I let the other girl out and right away she went to the box. So last night I put the box and the females into the cage and covered them for the night. Today neither are in the nest box and the one keeps trying to back to the old sight. So hoping on time they accept the the new location of the box and I'm keeping them locked in the cage today untill one starts sitting again because tonight should be second eggs layed. Hoping that because they were sitting already for half a day that it don't hurt them to be left now even though they are under 48hrs old. and again the male mated with the one girl I know of about 48 hrs before first egg. I know a big mess in in so appreciate any insight. I have had cockatiels all my life but new to breeding and this all happened so fast I know I should have known better but I didn't lol. Now I'm just trying to right it. Any help is awesome and I'll keep posting.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

So a hen is back on the nest box in the cage now and male is on there too. They came out when I went to the cage and are not returning, if they sit on the eggs but leave them for periods of that ok? Again second eggs should be any hr now

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

The hen usually does not get real serious about setting on her eggs until she has laid all of them. She might do some setting and roll them around in the box, but not really get serious about incubating them Generally, the male will not get involved much until the eggs hatch. Then he will help feed and care for them. Sometimes the male will get somewhat jealous of her and her eggs and will poke holes in one or more of the eggs. This is more likely to happen if the pair are quite young, or immature, or with the first clutch she has ever laid.

Now that you have moved the nest, it is necessary to leave the nest alone. If you candle the eggs, you need to do so when the pair are out of the nest. Disturbing the nest can cause the hen to abandon her eggs. Carefully remove one egg at a time and candle. Then replace. If the eggs are not fertile, you must not throw them away. The hen has to go through the 21 day setting process even if the eggs are not fertile. At some point during that time she will abandon the eggs since they are not fertile. Her natural instinct will tell her to do so.

The eggs are laid every other day. Also, on occasion, an egg will be laid at night.

I wou!d suggest you google...how to breed a pair of cockatiels. Many things can go wrong in the process, so the more education you can get, the better possibility of success.

This is a complicated situation. Having two females in a nest box with one male, and two hens laying eggs can result in two hens fighting over the eggs, a possibility of all the eggs being broken, and the male deciding he has a preference of having just one mate. This too can cause a fight.

It is always best to have a pair in their own cage with the box. And have any other tiels separate, in their own cage, from the mating pair. I would watch carefully to see how this is going to play out. Birds can be very aggressive under certain circumstances.

A nest box will always encourage hormonal behavior. To let hens play in a nest will bring on the eggs!
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-23-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Name
    Kat
    Thanks

Ellen can you help me with a budgie situation please PM me if you can!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Ok yeah have been on Google a lot and I'm not finding anything on having two females share a nest, and ok i read that about eggs as well but again the females where taking turns sitting on eggs for a whole day (or at least we're in the nest box). Now today they have been left so that is still ok until all eggs laid? And what do you mean by young pair or imature? They are 5-8 yes old but the male was only added a week ago. He's an experienced father I've been told and has raised several clutches. And I've also read it's good to get the birds used to the best box being disturbed by parents? I mean I'll leave them alone right now but was planning to check to see if more eggs tonight.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

And to clarify I never intended to breed yet was just letting the new birds see each other, was under impression it takes a while if ever for a pair to bond. Not 2 minutes...

Name
    Kat
    Thanks

Lol rofyv when i had eevee and brought him home he was in a cage alone and my two other budgies were in a different cage and eevee seemed lonely so we got pika and as soon as we got her home and in the cage with him they had love at first sight cause now they are inseparable and don't really leave each others side. I think some birds get along instantly and others like angel and lady my new parents, they took over a month to finally end up as mates. Lady is such a bully of a bird sometimes that she littered doesn't get along with anyone else except angel and my other girl I had with them in the cage but ave since removed, belle. She always was mean chasing,pecking,and just all around bullying the other birds so she went in a separate cage and we tried to put her with other birds and somehow angel and her just clicked. I didn't plan on babies either but now that I have them I love them.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, I never intended to breed either. I had a total of 5 budgies at the time. I thought they were all males. That particular year, I added a budgie to the flock of four, in May. Fast forward to December of that year when #5 became old enough to lay eggs. I went to a family Xmas dinner. Came back home to find my budgies had been in a fight. Feathers everywhere, and Pete, had a sprained toe. I had no clue why they were fighting. A few days later, I was shocked to see Buttercup and Nikki mating! Then knew what the fight was about. Buttercup was the girl that I thought was a boy. There was of course no nest box in that cage, so I went online and read all about breeding budgies, got a nest box, put the pair in a separate cage and the hen laid six eggs. Two she laid while swinging on the perch, and they broke. The other four eggs she laid in the nest box and they all hatched. And like Kat, I fell in love with those babies, even though I had no intention of breeding.

In my view, the nestbox they were playing in caused them to become hormonal and they laid the eggs. The male was immediately attracted to them, because all birds are created by nature to mate and lay eggs. Even as old as they are, it was instant attraction.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Even a hen 5-6 years old will be immature in going through the breeding process if it is her first time laying eggs. That was what I meant. You were very lucky they laid the eggs without being egg bound, because a hen as old as they are, never having laid eggs, sure could have had that problem. That is a medical emergency. The hen cannot push the egg out, and has to be rushed to the Vet immediately for medical attention or she will die.

Remove Ads