where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Need help with sick wild budgie

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Cris
    Thanks

Unhappy Need help with sick wild budgie

Hey everyone! I've only registered just now, but I've been reading the different threads for a couple of weeks now, looking for help with my new budgie.
    We got our female budgie Coco about 3 weeks ago (10th of February) and she is sick. We figured it right away when I saw the dirty cage, the greasy food dispenser and the greasy-greenish water dispenser The owners also told us that her partner had died a couple of days prior. She is not tame, i don't think they ever let her out to fly around, her cage had only one perch and zero toys. She only eats a seed mix and doesn't touch anything that doesn't look like it, not even spray millet

Long story short, she was veeery shy the first week, but in the end she would let me put my hand on the cage in front of her and wouldn't get scared. I knew right away she had scaly face, so i took her to the vet. He said she seemed fine other than that, since her droppings were normal and she was reactive. So he gave her a drop of Ivomec. She was 31 grams. About a week later she was still not moving much, was fluffed up most of the time, and got a bit constipated. I took her to the vet and he prescribed antibiotics 2 times/day from a syringe. Also, because she wasn't eating much, she got down to 25 grams. Three days later we had to admit her to the clinic because she would eat only a few grains 2 times/day and i was afraid she would starve to death. They force fed her, gave her fluids, vitamins & calcium, the antibiotics and started her on anti-fungal medication.
    We got her back yesterday evening, after 72h. The vet said she eats normally, has good droppings and he doesn't think there's any point in getting any labs since she's recovering so well.

The thing is, she doesn't seem fine to me Yes, she is better than 3 days ago, but i wouldn't say that she eats as much as she should. I had two other male budgies and they would eat all day long. She doesn't make any sounds (never did), just sits on her perch looking either scared or sleepy. I don't know whether i should be talking to her or leave her alone to heal. And i'm not sure if she's so quiet because she's sick or depressed from all the changes recently. She went from being ignored and left alone with her partner to being alone, handled twice a day, given meds, taken to the vet, all by new people I'm so afraid that she was fine at the vet but got stressed by the bus ride home...

Also, we're not sure about her age, but we think she's about 1 - 1,5 years old (since her previous owners got her in September from a pet store)

Sorry for the long post! I am quite desperate at this point

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,310 Posts

Re: Need help with sick wild budgie

Hi, and welcome to the community. I admire you for bringing Coco into your home, and also taking her to the vet for a checkup. Are you still giving her the meds? Since the vet feels she does not need further lab work and is recovering that is a positive. Meds often times make them rather quiet, and like humans when we have to take meds when we need them, we feel sort of listless, and just do not have much energy. What seed or other diet are you feeding her? Did the vet recommend a special diet? I do agree that it would be very difficult for her to lose her mate, and then have to adjust to a new home. I would let her take her time to adjust to you and her new environment. Set her cage close to the other two budgies. And I suggest you get a couple of small mirrors to put in her cage. I've homed budgies for years, and they love mirrors and swings. For her having lost her mate, the mirror will give her a new purpose to live, because she will think it is a new budgie.

Please keep us posted on her progress. Do not lose heart. I feel that time and patience are on your side. I think in time she will adjust to her new environment. Talk to her often, and even sit by her cage, and eat a snack. Often times they will eat when they see us eating. Budgies love music. Play soft classical or Latin music on a CD, or radio, close by her cage. And also, play the Disney Channel on TV. Budgies love the sounds of kids and cartoons. It may take a while for her appetite to come back, because meds seem to take their desire to eat away. I would say within a week or so after taking the meds you should see a difference in her wanting to eat.
    Last edited by maxollie; 03-03-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy she it least seems a little better then she was. I know budgies are very prone to get Avian Gastric Yeast (AGY) so perhaps the vet is on the right track by giving her anti-fungal medication. I hope she is still on them and taking them for a long time because the usual dosage is sometimes as long as 30 days. I have a girlfriend who fosters budgies for a big bird rescue and lots of them come to her with AGY. She treats them with a medicine called AmpB and it works great to heal her rescue budgies. What kind of medicine did the vet send home with you? Most anti-fungals are strong meds and might be upsetting her stomach so she is not eating so much right now.

I also think she might be depressed and also nervous because she has had so much change in her life since she lost her bird friend and came to your house. Hopefully in time she will come around and start eating more and feeling lots better.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Cris
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your answers!

I know the meds must be awful, the poor baby vomited after her first dose of antibiotics. But I'm really afraid that she's gonna lose too much weight again. Is there a minimal quantity of food she has to eat in order to survive? She only eats a bit in the morning and in the afternoon, about a spoonful of budgie mix a day, and that's it. I know she needs a better diet with fruits, greens & pellets, but the vet agreed that the priority is getting her healthy right now, and not stress her with any other changes.

She's been on antibiotics (Baytril) for 8 days now, and about 5 days on the anti-fungal meds (Terbinafine - it's french). Because of the insanitary conditions she was kept it and her partner dying, we can suppose she has some sort of infection, but her droppings have been good right from the beginning. No weird color, no diarrhea, good consistency - so it's hard to make an exact diagnosis. I've read soo many threads about budgie sicknesses and aside the mite infection, her symptoms just don't fit any criteria. We also give her vitamins in her drinking water, but i don't think she likes it.

I'm really worried about her emotional well-being. Giving her the meds is such a torture All those budgies in the youtube videos sit patiently while she struggles to death. Turning her head 180 degrees, biting everything, refusing to open hear beak... I tried so many ways to calm her and make it easier but nothing seems to work. If i put her in the towel she burrows her head into it and refuses to come out, or she tries to crawl out... I always manage to give her the meds in the end, but it's always a struggle. I accidentally bruised her cere today with the syringe because she kept turning her head like crazy And it's two times a day!! We still have a week to go....

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Cris
    Thanks

We talk to her, play her music, happy budgie sounds. She ignores it most of the times. She does make some fade chirping sounds sometimes when the water is running or the teapot is boiling But just for a second or two. I think she prefers that we talk without watching her directly. Yesterday i was telling her a story while cooking and she relaxed a bit. But the moment you look at her, she freezes.

I know it's a long shot, but i still hope we could bond one day. So we're not planning on getting her a mirror or a partner before trying at least to tame her. I know she probably hates us right now, but we figured she's still fairly young, so we shouldn't lose hope just yet.

Her look says it all
    Last edited by meteorsha; 03-04-2017 at 07:42 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

She is beautiful. Boomer was bad about medicine too and he struggled everytime unless he felt horrible then he just was too weak to struggle. I use to hold him on my chest in my hand and then pry his beak open with my thumb nail and slowly squirt the meds in. I would give him tiny sips instead of squirting the entire dose in. I then dripped a couple drops of water into his beak to wash out the medicine taste. He hated it all and fought like crazy but it was necessary. Getting her to eat is hard. At times the only seeds Boomer ate was spray millet, sometimes for weeks. His vet said it was better then nothing. Make sure she is drinking the water. I heard they sometimes don't when something is in it.

I hope she will get better. Your doing all the right things for her and hopefully once she gets better she will begin to like you. Right now your the evil medicine person.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Budgies, both male and female, love mirrors. They are a parrot species that can bond wiith a mirror, but also will bond with the caregiver, or another budgie in the cage. I've homed budgies for many, many years, and never had one that got territorial of his cage, due to having a mirror girlfriend. Since your budgie's partner and friend died, he is truly missing having that friend in his life. In my view, the mirror could help him to feel like he has a friend in his cage.

She is beautiful!
    Last edited by maxollie; 03-04-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Cris
    Thanks

She only has 0.02ml of each medication, which is really a drop, but she just won't stay still. I gave up and now pour the drop while she's biting me. This way she sort of licks it off my finger. The vet said that the dose he prescribed is a couple of times bigger than the one she actually needs, so even if she spits it, it's still going to be effective. I sure hope so!
    I did give her a drop of her vitamin water yesterday evening after the meds (to wash off the bad taste) and she seemed a lot better, even started eating right afterwards. I did it again this morning but now she was watery droppings and I'm worried about over-hydrating her.

She seemed better yesterday, had a couple of preening sessions, ate more and even chirped a bit along a movie we were watching. But today she's lethargic again, sleeping all day and barely eating.

I feel like I'm going to lose my mind, worrying daily about her health for the past month. I think I'll have to call the vet again if her dropping are still watery tomorrow...

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry and understand your emotions that fill you with questions and fear. It's hard when you know your bird is not well. If she has a fungal/yeast infection it is common for them to have runny poos and then also good looking ones. Is the green part still in one piece or is the poos mixed together? Mixed is bad but wet poos with the green part together is a sign of yeast/fungal infection. I would maybe use fresh water without the vitemin in it to drop into her mouth. That way it would wash away the taste of the meds without leaving a vitemin taste in her mouth.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Cris
    Thanks

I just wanted to let everyone know our sweet Coco is healthy now She's still very quiet and barely moves, but she does chirp along the music we play for her. We got her a mirror, a swing and some toys but she doesn't touch any of that -.- Weird lil' bug. Just sits there and watches us. She doesn't wanna come out to fly either, even though the cage is always open.
    I've managed to get her to eat some grated carrot mixed in with the seeds, but since she eats so little, it usually dries up by the time she gets to it. It's still a victory to us!
    We're thinking about getting an active boy, maybe he'll shake her up
    Thank you for your support, you got us through the worst part!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I'm so happy to hear Coco has recovered from her illness. I do think a new friend just might put the two on a happy journey together! We will look for updates! Thank you for sharing this great news!

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

I'm so glad Coco is healthy and happy! I also think a buddy might be a good thing for her.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Diana
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meteorsha View Post
    Hey everyone! I've only registered just now, but I've been reading the different threads for a couple of weeks now, looking for help with my new budgie.
    We got our female budgie Coco about 3 weeks ago (10th of February) and she is sick. We figured it right away when I saw the dirty cage, the greasy food dispenser and the greasy-greenish water dispenser The owners also told us that her partner had died a couple of days prior. She is not tame, i don't think they ever let her out to fly around, her cage had only one perch and zero toys. She only eats a seed mix and doesn't touch anything that doesn't look like it, not even spray millet

Long story short, she was veeery shy the first week, but in the end she would let me put my hand on the cage in front of her and wouldn't get scared. I knew right away she had scaly face, so i took her to the vet. He said she seemed fine other than that, since her droppings were normal and she was reactive. So he gave her a drop of Ivomec. She was 31 grams. About a week later she was still not moving much, was fluffed up most of the time, and got a bit constipated. I took her to the vet and he prescribed antibiotics 2 times/day from a syringe. Also, because she wasn't eating much, she got down to 25 grams. Three days later we had to admit her to the clinic because she would eat only a few grains 2 times/day and i was afraid she would starve to death. They force fed her, gave her fluids, vitamins & calcium, the antibiotics and started her on anti-fungal medication.
    We got her back yesterday evening, after 72h. The vet said she eats normally, has good droppings and he doesn't think there's any point in getting any labs since she's recovering so well.

The thing is, she doesn't seem fine to me Yes, she is better than 3 days ago, but i wouldn't say that she eats as much as she should. I had two other male budgies and they would eat all day long. She doesn't make any sounds (never did), just sits on her perch looking either scared or sleepy. I don't know whether i should be talking to her or leave her alone to heal. And i'm not sure if she's so quiet because she's sick or depressed from all the changes recently. She went from being ignored and left alone with her partner to being alone, handled twice a day, given meds, taken to the vet, all by new people I'm so afraid that she was fine at the vet but got stressed by the bus ride home...

Also, we're not sure about her age, but we think she's about 1 - 1,5 years old (since her previous owners got her in September from a pet store)

Sorry for the long post! I am quite desperate at this point

Sorry to hear about that. I guess your new budgie is suffering from depression. Try to spend more time with her. That will make her more familiarized with you as her new owner.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy she is feeling good now, this is great news.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

If you lived where I live, there is a rescue that would take the bird in. However, it is too far away to be of help for you. Best to drop the word wild when you describe the budgie, and that will make it easier to find help. Either a rescue, or a vet for the bird.