where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Unsure of new bird's behaviour. Want to make sure she is ok

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Susan
    Thanks

Unsure of new bird's behaviour. Want to make sure she is ok

Hi. I have a two year old male Gloster and bought a six month old female three weeks ago. I've kept her in a separate cage initially. The male is used to free flying and returns to his cage happily. When I let him out he was curious and flew onto the top of her cage. She seemed OK with that to begin with. Suddenly though she made the most unearthly screeching noise, puffed up and shook her wings at him. So the next night we let them both out of their cages. They sat together quietly for a while. Then she jumped on his head and pecked him. My questions are
    A. Is she a he? She sings beautifully buy I know that's not a guarantee of anything
    B. Is it safe to let them out together again or better to wait until they're more used to each other.
    C. His cage was higher than hers and he was sitting on the roof of her cage when we let him out. We moved the cages next to each other to see if that helps. Is that the right thing to do?

Sorry for so many questions but I want to do the best for my wee friends!

Hoping for help

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Re: Unsure of new bird's behaviour. Want to make sure she is ok

Hi, Susan and welcome to the community. I do not have experience homing Glosters so I cannot give you any suggestions. Hopefully, one of our experienced bird experts will answer your post.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Hatched!
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Susan,
    1- The bird who is higher anywhere is in a natural state of superiority. They will try to be the highest to demonstrate dominance.
    2- Singing is a male aspect not female. (Although - some females can sing very well) Take his cage away, leave hers in the normal location. Place a radio near her and turn it up. Watch and listen. If she sings watch her throat. If her throat extends, (looks like a little pouch under her chin that extends out when singing). Now if this occurs and she steps up, sticks her head up and sings strongly, that is all male behavior, not female.
    3- Now again many females sing well, but if she is indeed a female who can sing, it is breeding time now. Your male is of age and will test the waters. She will know that by his moves. These will be subtle to you and I, but very clear to her. You mentioned she is 6 months and 3 weeks old. Canaries are not ready to breed until at least 10 months old. If all of that is correct she may be to young and thus his advancements are to a female who is not ready, nor in the frame of mind to mate, defined as her body has not changed or come into breeding readiness. Both females and males bodies transform each breeding season, they physically change to be ready. Both testicles and ovaries do not drop or are even present until the change occurs. Thus since she is young and never breed, thus doesn't know her body yet, or the signs, she would only view his advancements as attacks not a male who wants to mate.
    4- The answer then is first, figure out if she is indeed a female or male. Then if male well at this time of year they will fight no matter what. If female keep doing what you're doing and let them just get comfortable in a guarded safe way. As long as she does not feel threatened she will soon see all is ok and settle down. Lastly if she is a he you will have two males to listen too and always have to watch to make sure they don't fight. Given space they will be ok as long as they have room to get away from each other if needed. Males will always chose to retreat rather than fight if possible. One will assert dominance, the other will acknowledge the dominance and a pecking order will be established. Then an understanding ahs been achieved and will always be followed.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Susan
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, Susan and welcome to the community. I do not have experience homing Glosters so I cannot give you any suggestions. Hopefully, one of our experienced bird experts will answer your post.
    Thank you

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Susan
    Thanks

Thank you 5borders. I'll try your suggestions. It's quite confusing with so much information online and the shop insisting she is female (they use one small scale breeder who said she was) and they told me she was old enough to mate. Thanks for your advice - I've been so nervous ...

Hatched!
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

There are no guarantees ever. Case in point. It is breeding season and a friend and I had bird we both needed but not in the right order. He needed a male I needed a hen. So we swapped birds, which would solve everything for both of us. Between us we have more knowledge than anyone I know and have been at it both for 30 + years. We both sexed these birds and we're both wrong about the hen. This happens all the time, so simply said, even the most knowledgeable can get it wrong so people without that much experience I'd expect to get it wrong more often.
    The only thing I will say for sure is, never breed a canary unless it is at a minimum of 10 months old. To be honest, the best pairing ever, and a tried a true method is to breed a young, first year male to a 2 year old hen. In this pairing you allow for a fully mature female, physically and with a year under her belt already, so she knows what to do, to a male who is all (sorry but true) like any young man, full of well what young men are full of. Their hormones are off the hook and they just want to tackle every female near them. So like with us, it works best when you match a steady head sure female to control a male who has one thing on his mind.

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Hahaha! In humans the females have a steadier head than the males at any age, Rudi! It's possible your girl is a boy for sure - I thought my Snitch was a boy as the singing was beautiful and constant. A month after we brought her home she laid an egg - and that was concrete proof that we were very wrong. Hopefully you can figure it out and the two will get along better in future! it seems you have a very well trained canary who will return to his cage when you want him to. I still have to put canary singing sounds on my phone and put my phone in Snitch's cage to get her to go back in if she slips past me accidentally. She does come and go on her own schedule from her cage during free-flight time in the safe room though. She's about as predictable as a toddler on a sugar rush. lol

Hatched!
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

See you women give us men to much credit. You think we are always doing or thinking about something we shouldn't be. The truth is we are not deep or complex, we really are extremely simple creatures. When you think we are deep in thought, we're probably thinking about a pizza, a sporting event, hobby, or yes women, not much more than that. A man deep in thought usually means he needs a bathroom! HA had to LOL

Remove Ads