Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Unusually Aggressive Budgies?

Name
    Erica
    Thanks

Unusually Aggressive Budgies?

I'm very concerned about my budgies. I've had Baby for a little over half a year (he's much younger; his bars have only recently receded fully) and Shamrock about three months, and neither of them have ever been aggressive. Baby sometimes nibbles my fingers a little bit too hard when he's excited (I'll usually put him by one of his chew toys and he goes nuts on it), but that's about the extent. Baby follows Shamrock around all the time, but Shamrock's never seemed to mind. He'd sometimes snap at Baby whenever he was too fed up, but it was never really hostile. No angry noises or fights. But in the past two or three days, they've fought at least four or five times. I've been present for (probably) all of them, and I've been able to separate them quickly. As soon as they're separated, they go back to being joined at the hip as if the fighting never happened.

The first two times were likely Shamrock being annoyed by Baby's squishing up against him, but the past two times I've no clue. I was laying in my bed when I heard startled bird noises so I jumped up and separated them and everything was normal. The third and fourth seemed to be completely spontaneous. One got near the other and everything went berserk. The fifth time was probably the most understandable. I held out my arm and one came over. The other got excited and flew over a liiiitle bit too far to the left and landed on the other.

They still cuddle and preen each other as they usually do and eat together, but I'm worried that when spring break ends they're going to get into a fight and I won't be able to separate them. I've considered putting Baby in the smaller cage, but I'd rather not unless I absolutely had to. Any advice?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Re: Unusually Aggressive Budgies?

Have they been DNA tested to be certain they both are boys? And do you know for sure their ages? It sounds to me like Shamrock has started being territorial with Baby. Maybe you have a male and female, and Shamrock is getting into hormonal behavior. They both would need to be at least 9 months old, for them to begin a hormonal attraction for each other. It could be the springtime, because budgies often mate and lay eggs at this time of the year.

It may be a good idea to put them in separate cages while you are away from home. You do not want them fighting while you are not home. They could injure each other.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Name
    Erica
    Thanks

We haven't been able to test them since the closest veterinary clinic that takes birds happens to be too far out of our regular commutes (though when I inevitably take them to get their nails and such trimmed soon I'm definitely getting one for Baby). Based on what I've read, I'd think Baby was about 3 months old when we got him(/her), so I'd guess that he/she's just nearing six months. His irises are also paler, and looking back on past pictures I have of him I'd say his cere's been getting bluer. He also has the stereotypical male behavior of chirpy and constantly bobbing about. The main confusion at my home is the biting Baby does when excited, since I've read that it's generally a female tendency. I'm almost definitely going to separate them when I go to school in the morning. Baby will have to deal with the smaller cage (I'm gonna have to deal with a sassy bird when I get home tomorrow).

Thank you for the verification on separating them! I wasn't sure if I was just being a paranoid first-time bird owner or being reasonable. I'm going to email that avian vet in a moment to see if I can get something in order for my birds.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

All birds have their very own personality. Some are very energetic, some are quiet, even males. And on occasion two males or females, or a pair can get aggressive as well.

A few days ago, I put my two budgies in the same cage, so I could do a thorough cleaning of the cages, one at a time. Muffin is almost 6 years old and has always been alone. He is a male. I got Marlee, my other budgie a year ago this past November. I am pretty sure she is a female, although I never had the DNA test, and for safety not to end up with eggs, I keep them separated. So, by this morning, my poor Marlee acted like she was completely wiped out by Muffin pursuing her, not letting her eat seed or drink water, and trying hard to convince her he was her bird in shining armour, which I am sure you get the picture. I hurried this morning to get her cage cleaned and put her back in it! It took her a couple hours to feel safe to eat and drink in her own cage. Now this is mother nature at its best, as an example for you. Muffin is a laid back happy bird, but once Marlee arrived in his cage, he became a completely different bird, chasing her, not allowing her to eat or drink, and acting like Romeo!
    Last edited by maxollie; 03-20-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Name
    Erica
    Thanks

I've yet to schedule an appointment, but so far I've felt much better about leaving them alone for short time periods. They've been fighting much less than they were earlier this month. Shamrock's back to being the patient older bird Baby admires so much. I just watched Baby messing with Shamrock's tailfeather and he just turned around so Baby wouldn't be able to reach it. They still occasionally nudge each other too much and a little scrabble breaks out, but it's generally over in seconds before I can even reach them. I'm definitely still going to get Baby DNA tested so I know what to expect, but I feel much better knowing they're getting along better.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, that is a big relief that they are doing better. Like us humans, birds can have bad hair days too! We will welcome your updates and concerns anytime!

Remove Ads