Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Egg found !! Now what

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Egg found !! Now what

So my cockatiel laid an egg about 1 week ago and the male and the female cockatiel both tale care lf it day and night , im not sure what steps to take any tips???

Also my BIIIIG question is why did my cockatiel lay only one egg?? I waited and no more eggs i read everywhere that they lay more than 2? I mean im fine with one but is it healthy ? Is something going on is she sick? Might she be eggbound? She seems fine shes on her favorite perch and she does eat , shes a very quiet bird so i cant really se if something is wrong with her... or is it just normal for her to have one egg.

Thanks everyone!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 1,283 Posts

Re: Egg found !! Now what

Hi, and welcome to the community. How old are your cockatiels. Do they have a nest box? On occasion a hen will lay only one egg, especially if this is the first time she has laid eggs. The incubation time for the egg is 18-21 days. You count the days from the first day she laid it. Have you seen them mating? Sometimes on the first mating and egg laying session, the egg is not fertile. In about 7-10 days after the egg was laid, you can candle it. Use a pen flash light, cautiously remove the egg from the nest while the pair is out of the nest. Hold the egg up to the light and shine the flashlight into the egg shell. If fertile you will see tiny red veins and the embryo. If it is not fertile the egg will be clear. You will need to leave the egg with the pair for the days I mentioned, even if it is not fertile. After those days, the hen will abandon the egg if it is not fertile.

Is there any chance you have two females, or have you verified their sex? Be sure to give them plenty of cuttlebone, and fresh green leaf lettuce and other veggies, and some fresh apple slices, and whole wheat bread pieces.

If the egg is not fertile, and you do have a pair, leave the nest as it is if you want to try to breed them again but remove the egg that did not hatch.

I do not think she is egg bound. She would be lethargic, all fluffed up, and sitting on the cage floor or in the nest straining and unable to push the egg out. Egg binding is an emergency. You would need to get her to a vet asap, if that happens. I hope this info is of help yo you.
    Last edited by maxollie; 03-23-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I actually have verified their sex one male on female , they have been mating they mated about 3 times from what i noticed , i havent touched the egg yet since im afraid that they will abandon it , but ill have to check if its fertile , im not sure if this is her first egg as i have had them for about 6 months... and when i adopted them they told me they were about 6 years old , never a exact number ... also i did provide them with a nest box but the female created her own nest next to it, she did not bother to use what i provided.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 1,283 Posts

Thanks for your reply. I would suggest you do some on line research on cockatiel breeding. You are correct that you do not want to disturb the nest because she could abandon the egg. Since she has only one egg, it probably would be wise to not candle the egg because you have seen them mating and know they are a pair. This is definitely the time of year for babies!

Remove Ads