where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: 1 month old lovebird

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tiffany
    Thanks

Red face 1 month old lovebird

I'm planning on picking up a 1 month old hand fed lovebird today. What kind of cage do i house him in since hes still a baby? Also, i already have a year and half lovebird that i plan to have separate cages but if they are in the same room will it interfere with me bonding with the baby?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 1,290 Posts

Re: 1 month old lovebird

Hi, and welcome to the community. Did you get your baby from a breeder or another source. Being very frank with you, a month old lovebird is way too young to be coming home with you. There is no way it is ready. It would not be weaned, even if being hand fed. It needs to be with its parents until at least 10 to 12 weeks of age. I'm very concerned for both of you. You will need to prepare to be able to hand feed it several times a day and into the night. I doubt if it is eating seeds only. You would need to go on youtube to see the instructions on feeding baby lovebirds, and need to buy baby bird formula and a syringe to feed him.

If you do have a breeder, if it were me, I would be telling him or her that you do not want to bring the baby home for another few weeks until such time it is fully fledged and eatng seeds, flying and perching. And completely weaned.

I give this info to you from my heart, because your own heart will be broken if he cannot survive because of needing more care from his parents and the breeder or person who offered him to you.

If you do decide to bring him home, you would need a small cage. I do not think you should uses the perches yet. Make the bottom of his cage his home. Put some flannel that you can throw away after he gets bigger, on the bottom of the cage, and paper towel on top to catch the droppings. He needs to be kept warm. You will need to monitor him all day and at night. He may need a feeding during the night as well. Keep his cage covered three sides during the day, and fully covered at night. Keep him in your bedroom at night with a night light in the room!
    Last edited by maxollie; 03-24-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tiffany
    Thanks

Thank you for your response! I am suppose to meet with the breeder today and will decide whether or not to bring it home. They mentioned that they will provide a "handfeed kit/baby food". I'm surprised they even mentioned there were younger ones for sale. Either way i've been on youtube for hours getting as much information as i can on baby birds and homemade brooders, etc.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 1,290 Posts

It really is unfortunate they are selling one month babies with a kit!!!!! Birds that are sold in stores are at least 12 weeks old. It will be easy to get the info on how to feed, but I must tell you, it will be an overwhelming task to feed him and to hope he will survive. I would look for another breeder if it were me. Is this a private breeder? Did you see the aviary where the other birds are housed? Did you see the bird parents? Did they give you a guarantee of at least 30 days to bring him back if he is sick, or dies? Is this breeder well known in your area? Is the home clean?? These are just a few things you need to consider.

I really hope you will look for other breeders who keep their babies for at least 12 weeks before sending them to a new home!

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

My breeder wouldn't let me take Sammy home until he was 8 or 9 weeks old. Basically, unless they are flying alright and reliably eating by themselves and maintaining their weight, he wouldn't let them go.

I'm not sure it's even legal to sell unweaned babies here unless the buyer has some sort of license...

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!