where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: ..Angry Lovebird

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Roy
    Thanks

Exclamation ..Angry Lovebird

So my Fischer LoverBird over the last week or two has become more and more aggressive... she trys to bite and attack when you get in or any where near her cage.... also if shes out of her cage and on it the same thing...

nothing has changed for the most part, she is still given lots of attention... however the one thing that has changed i now have a new job that i work 10 hour days 4 days a week, so during the day someone isnt really home like we used to be....

any ideas or tips?

i make sure she has plenty of space and toys and out of cage time and trying to give her as much attention as she wants but just the aggressiveness is getting a bit much....

im trying to chalk it up to Bird PMS as of this time of year ... but i dunno

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 1,290 Posts

Re: ..Angry Lovebird

Well, you are close. I call it bird hormones! It is springtime now, and usually the time for all birds hormones to kick in. It is also the time for molting feathers. A bird can go to bed happy one night and wake up angry and aggressive like yours has. Hormonal behavior can last for a few weeks! She will one morning wake up to being a happy bird, so do not lose heart!

While you are gone for work play a radio or CD player with soft classical or Latin music for her. All birds love music. I think playing with her when you come home will keep a good bond with her. Right now, she probably will not be her usuall self, but soon she will be happy again!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 03-24-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Roy
    Thanks

yah, we will see, i dunno... gonna be interesting ... ... a Hormonal wife is enough, now a hormonal bird....

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

We have another member who has a pair of lovebirds that have been breeding, nesting, and hatching chicks for well over two months. If you ever decide to get a mate for your lovebird, be prepared for an interesting venture! The guy I'm speaking of also has a sense of humor, and I think the two of you have the same thoughts about hormones!

When it comes to birds, a mated pair has been created by Nature to hatch chicks! And it is an obsession with them!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Roy
    Thanks

noooo.... no mating the LoveBird, shes sweet and lovable...most of the time lol.....

now my 'tiel im trying to find a partner or a mate for...... I got a lady that i work with that has about 50 'tiels in an avary and 4 pairs are sitting on eggs... that i may be getting one of the babies when they hatch

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Wow!! That would be a great aviary to visit. I've never seen one with that many tiels and babies together. That will be a trip well worth the time. Let us know all about it!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Be prepared a hormonal lovebird is going to give your hormonal wife some competition It least birds only get hormonal a few times a year.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Probably a mixture of the two.

On the days I'm in the office, we set Sammy up with foraging toys. Boring food is in his bowl (so he won't starve). Anything more interesting and tasty is in balls, tissues, toys, boxes, hidden away etc... he often has some left unforaged when we get home - so seems to work.

Also - have you any violent type toys? Just thinking that our parakeet has one toy in particular that he likes to beat the *&** out of. It's hilarious how mad he gets at this thing. But when I tried taking it away he sulked. So he has his poor abused beat toy. Maybe yours would like one too.

Bluey's is just something I made out of bits of shredders, leather and lots of noisy beads. Sammy has a big hanging ball that every so often he will give a few good hard smacks and rude swearing at - but other days he'll snuggle and preen with it. Who knows lol

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!