Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possibly sick budgie-HELP

Brand New Egg Charliethetalkingegg's Avatar
    Name
    Isha
    Thanks

Re: Possibly sick budgie-HELP

I'm so scared!!! What are some ways I can keep him comfortable until tomorrow morning? I'm so worried about him.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry this is happening to you and he definitely does not look good. If you have a small cage or even a fish aquarium put a soft cloth on the bottom of it and put a small cup of seed mix and water in it with him. If you have a heating pad put it under half of the tank or hang it on the side of the cage to keep him warm. Sick birds need to be kept warm. I use to also hold Boomer on my chest with my other hand covering his back when he felt really bad like Charlie is right now. It comforted me and him at the same time. My heart is breaking for poor Charlie and for you as well and I really do hope he hangs in there until the morning when you can take him to the vets. I know my vet had emergency appointments so call first thing in the morning to try to get him in right away. Sending you big hugs!!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

Agreed, the biggest thing is warmth and rest, and making sure there's food and water within easy reach. Much like Deanna I used to sit with Kichi on my chest with my hand over him when he was ill, to let my body heat keep him warm (but only if your bird is very tame and comfortable with this), and I also had a "snugglesafe" head pad in the bottom of his cage. And definitely go into the vet as early as you can. Thinking of you <3

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

I'm sending prayers to both of you. Great advice given to you from Deanna and Sammy.

Name
    Isha
    Thanks

https://youtu.be/PF_T23DPOdg

I've had him in his smaller travel cage with a blanket at the bottom, made sure he was warm enough, and gave him seed and water. I just took him out and gave him all his favorite toys and he seems to be doing better??? I'm hoping this is a good sign? His appointment is 8am tomorrow right when the clinic opens so I'll be there as soon as possible.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

Hey, he's perked up a lot there, that's good that he does. And he seems to be bearing weight on the right leg there? Travel cage with blanket is perfect, encourage rest and warmth until the appt, just in case. It's good he has the strength and interest to play, though

PS. He is super cute!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! That is the cutest video! I would recommend to you that you discontinue feeding any cabbage or cabbage family veggies, including broccoli, kale, parsley, and even the spinach, although I am not sure it is cabbage family, it does have a high iron content. The cabbage family veggies have a phyto chemical in them that are not good for budgies.

You can feed the raw carrots, frozen or fresh peas or carrots, leaf lettuce, cilantro. When you do feed veggies, feed sparingly. He really looks healthy other than the leg problem he has, but as I shared, they hide their illnesses. I would be concerned too, if he were my budgie. He is super intelligent and very talented to play with his toys like he is doing in that video.
    Last edited by maxollie; 03-29-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Name
    Isha
    Thanks

He's using his leg now, he takes little breaks and lifts it up but then starts playing again. I'm still going to take him in tomorrow just to make sure he's okay; he really scared me today when he was laying down like that and breathing heavy! Thank you guys so much for helping me out, he's my first bird and I don't want anything to happen to him because of something I did I really appreciate all of your help. Thank you!! <3

Name
    Isha
    Thanks

And I took all of the cabbage and spinach out of his dish. I gave him some raw carrot and seeds!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

He looks way better! This is great and hopefully the vet will know what is going on with him. My first thought with his leg not moving is possibly a growth on the inside either putting pressure on his nerves or a spine injury. I hope it is not neither of these things. I feel so much better about him being OK now that he is playing.

Name
    Isha
    Thanks

Hello everyone!! Charlie's appointment was this morning! So it turns out that he has a sprain in his leg and maybe the beginning of an upper respiratory infection, they gave me some antibiotics for the infection and an anti inflammatory for his leg, he's going to be alright!!! Thank you guys again for helping me out, Charlie says thank you as well

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! I am so happy he will be healed with the meds. Quite honestly, when I saw the video of his leg, I was really worried for his leg as well. He may be a little out of sorts while taking the meds, just wanted to share that with you. Please keep us posted. It sounds to me like you have a great vet to evaluate him.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Oh thank goodness he is going to be OK. Its going to be a struggle giving him the meds but it will be so worth it once he feels better. I had to give Boomer way too much medicine his last few years and I learned it was easier to give them tiny sips of the medicine instead of trying to put the entire dose of medicine in his beak at one time. When you done giving Charlie the medicine dip your finger into a cup of water and let a drop of water go into his beak. It will help get the nasty medicine taste out of there. I am just so happy he is going to get better because when he was laying there I did not think he would last through the night. He has a angel looking over him for sure!

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

At first it reads like you need to see a vet. Later on you mention the bird is eating well and activity is good also. Not an emergency, as least not yet.Just keep observing your bird, if things get worse, then call a vet.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

I'm so glad he is going to be ok!! It is much better to catch these things early and treat them as birds can go downhill fast. I am so glad it is nothing too serious. Yay!

Remove Ads