where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uncontrollable Macaw Regurgitation

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Re: Uncontrollable Macaw Regurgitation

We went back and forth on this. My husband, being a mechanic, got tired of me complaining about the uncontrolled regurgitating and me having to take the cage apart and pressure wash it every day...including perches. You know these larger cages are not light weight either. He took a submersible pump, like what you would see in the indoor/outdoor fountains and put it in a large spaghetti pot that I haven't used in a long time. Filled with water and then plugged it in to a remote control switch ($11 at Walmart). The past few days have been great! When the macaw goes starts on his regurgitating rampage, I press the button and he stops. It gets his undivided attention and he stops. Yes, I know some will disagree with this saying it is affection. Coming home daily to perches that are full of regurgitation and then seeing it up and down his cage on the metal, his water drip, toys and food bowl is not fun. He was doing it regardless if I was home or not. Also, I have been having my husband uncover/cover his cage every day. After all, he's the one that promised to take care of him since '89 (yeah right.) I also make sure the husband feeds, waters and cleans the drop pan on the cage. I'm trying to get the affection to switch from me to him. Not really working since the bird bit him in the arm pretty bad because he wanted to come to my shoulder and not hang out with my husband. It will take time for sure. But for now, that water fountain is helping and I don't have to pull the cage apart every single day especially now that I can do my work from home. No more commuting yeah! Anyway, I want to thank everyone on here. You've been wonderful in your help and suggestions!!!!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 1,178 Posts

Hi Karen. I am happy for yoiu that your hubby is helping out, and built the fountain. It is some relief for you and the bird. I am sure the biting hurts really bad. I do hope the bird will learn to consider both of you as his friends- I wish you the very best on your journey, and I truly hope this works for the long term.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

So just hearing the water stops him from doing it? This is a brilliant idea and I hope it continues to work and possibly break his habit of regurgitating all the time.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Hi Maxollie - Yep, that bite did hurt. But I keep telling my husband that if he gives the macaw the attention he used to many years ago, he probably won't attack him. He drew blood but it stopped hurting after 2 days. It is a relief especially now that I'm able to work from home now. I hear his regurgitating "noises" and press the button and he stops immediately. Hopefully between getting black out covering from 8pm-8am and this fountain, he'll start to chill out.

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Hey Boomer Girl! It's done in short bursts and it grabs his attention. So his mind is now watching that instead. I've found over the last few days even when he goes into his recent excessive screaming rants, his new bad habit knowing it hurts the dogs ears and makes them howl which in turn he mimics their howling, doing the fountain has worked on that too. I want him to be a bird but I just don't want bad habits. We never had issues before when his roomie was still alive. Some have said, including my husband, to get another bird. No way. I love birds but I just can't.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy something so easy is working. If only you thought of a fountain before. I wouldn't want another bird either because it had to be hard on all of you when the last one died. In time hopefully he will forget about regurgitating on everything without the water grabbing his attention.

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Here we are a little over a year later and I hate to say that he's back to regurgitating....even when covered now. If a pin prick of light can be seen, he starts right in. It's horrible. It doesn't help that the Mr. doesn't even want to cover him. I'm at my wits end.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Oh no I am sorry to read this. His hormones are out of control and I honestly do not have suggestions for you other then all the ones you have tried. Hubby is wrong to leave him uncovered but honestly just to make the hubby happy leave him uncovered for a week to prove it does not work so he does not grump and grown for you to do it. Hopefully your big boy will learn sooner then later to not "feed" everything so dang much.

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

I'm buying another king size black sheet and sewing the two together to make the length longer on the sides. Any little bit of light, even a dot, and he starts regurgitating. Then I can put the heavier, slightly shorter cotton tarp on top of that. I have to tie the sheets to the corners of the cage or he pulls it off. Yeah, the husband doesn't believe in covering the cage. I just think he's too lazy to do it. When I was covering him, it would be at 8pm at night and he would be uncovered at 7:30am. I went and got a spray bottle now that I'm home all the time. When he bobs to get the food up I put my hand on it and he stops, kinda. If I go out of the room, he goes full force regurgitating and I end up squirting him which makes him stop. Then again, if I sit down to watch a little tv, he starts right in. It's just a very bad habit that should of been nipped in the bud when it first started but of course, the husband never pays attention to things like that or the little noises he makes when the regurgitation is going on. Wits end I tell you. Ugh.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Have you ever tried Lupron? I heard good but also bad things about it but if you give it to him just maybe it would stop the habit he has regurgitating all the time. I am thinking you did but just incase I thought I would mention it. I would be so upset to see my bird do this and I am sorry your husband is not helping you out with covering him up.

Remove Ads