Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Question Help

I just got my green cheeked conure around a week and a half ago, he's really scared and if i ever come near the cage he'd fly all over the place, even when i let him out, he'd avoid me and fly away, and lately he's been screaming a lot and i don't really know what to do, any help with how i can make him feel relaxed and eventually okay with me?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Monet
    Thanks

Re: Help

It takes time, just sit next to the cage, talk to him, try to give him some millet. Let him come out on his own terms. You can look into clicker training too.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Re: Help

It takes a period of time for them to settle in. What diet are you feeding? Is he eating and drinking regularly? Does he show any interest in his toys?

I agree with the last poster to sit by the cage and talk softly to him. Eat a snack while you are sitting by him. Play soft music on a CD player or a radio. Get some millet sprigs at your pet shop, and reach your hand and arm out far enough so he will not be afraid, and let him eat off the top of the millet sprig. Also, go on YouTube, and search for clicker training for conures.

Conures do tend to be loud, and I doubt you would be able to quiet him completely. The noise is just a natural happening for many birds, including conures, especially males.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Remove Ads