Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decorah eagles...NORTH

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 1,258 Posts

Decorah eagles...NORTH

Continuing my discussion about the baby eagles. Thank you, Deanna, for giving an explanation about these eagles on Kalei's thread. Like you, I cannot watch them now. The dad is nowhere in sight. The mom's favorite is baby #1, who she feeds and feeds and feeds, and then poor little baby #2, is completely ignored. She definitely is abandoning that one, and I expect it to die too. I guess, now that I have seen parent birds abandon their young, and let them die, I now feel even more sad for any egg that hatches and the parents refuse to feed them. I'm speaking of birds in the wild, because most caregivers who might have caged birds that abandon there babies, at least try to hand feed them.

Like you, Deanna, I was crying. I'm not going back there, because I cannot stand to see only one baby there.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Decorah eagles...NORTH

Well today both are doing great and the parent just got done feeding them. I also heard the one in the nest looking up and calling out and I "thought" I heard another one call back but it was hard to tell. The one in the nest flew off and a few minutes later one flew in and sat in the nest. On the Raptor Resource page they talk about the smallest baby dying but nothing about Mom or Dad not coming back to the nest. I have always watched the original Decorah Eagle nest and Dad and Mom look different but on this one I cannot tell the difference. I get so nervous watching these when its stormy or when the babies do not look very good but they are so amazing to watch the eagles grow up and fly away.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, I am very relieved to see both babies eating today. I think it is the mom with them but I am not sure either. I was brave and returned to the live stream, because I was curious to know what was happening. Later this afternoon one of the babies was outside the nest and a little distance from the mom. It was sooo windy there, I was worried the baby would blow away, but it managed to crawl closer to mom, and she finally got back into the nest. Everyday that passes the two have a better chance of making it. I truly thought #2 would not make it. I'm hooked on this live stream on YouTube.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It looks like the parents are now getting a better feel for feeding the two babies. I have visited the web cam a couple of times today, and the babies are looking great. Growing so fast.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I watched them this morning and did not get to see the babies. Yesterday they did seem like they were feeding both of them great.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, mom is doing lots better, but #2 still does not get as much food. This has been a great educational learning experience for me, because when parrots mate, lay eggs, and the eggs hatch, it is well documented that baby #1 does get the most food even until they fledge, that is why #1usually is bigger. I just never seen this up close, because most birds in a nest box, feed their young, but we never actually see how much they eat.

I pray these two will grow and thrive. I look at them being so tiny, and then think how big they will be in about 3-4 months, if all goes well between now and then.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-09-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Update: The babies are doing great now. Mom and dad are feeding them and caring for them, and the babies are growing soooo fast.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

When I turned it on today the babies were sunning themselves in the nest with the parent sitting on the other side of the nest. They are getting so big these days.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I just seen this on Facebook and thought it was worth posting here. Dad is one heck of a protector!

Here is the story of what it is going on:
    From Sherri Elliott: "Mr North redefined raptor fierce yesterday protecting his eaglets while sounding the alarm as an adult bald eagle intruder got too close to the nest. He displayed an incredible show of power in stunning hunker-down mantle styles with DN5 underneath him, and DN4 to the rear. Toward the end of the altercation, DN4 raised up and using a big voice also scolded the intruder like its dad, but I was surprised going through photos to also see DN4 had wings out ... a coincidence, or already imprinting?"
    Winds blew out of the south all day long yesterday, bringing many traveling eagles and other birds of prey past both nests! The interlopers kept Mr. and Mrs. North and Mom and Dad Decorah on alert. Migration did not end with sundown, as smaller birds lifted off to pursue their journeys north.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

Oh I'm so glad they are still doing well, have just looked in on them and they seem good. The last time I looked in one was just lying dead still and I was so afraid for it... How amazing is it that we can witness things like this?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, it sure is amazing what modern technology gives us these days on our electronic toys. That one that died hurt me so much, and I was unhappy that mom was not feeding #2 much at all compared to feeding #1.

I am a little confused, because in that article Deanna posted it talks about DN 4 and 5, and the pair I am watching only had three eggs. All hatched, but #3 died. That nest does not look like the one I am watching either.

Today' the 1and 2, that I am watching are just growing and thriving now and are sooooooo precious! Mom and Dad are taking great care of them.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I was confused about the DN4 and DN5 as well so went to these two sites to check it out before I posted the facebook update, Here is the Raptor Resource project webpage, http://www.raptorresource.org/birdca...ah-north-nest/ . They actually run lots of really neat nests and not just the Decorah Eagle nests. I started watching the North nest only because it is on YouTube which my Amazon Fire stick actually has on it so I can watch it on my TV. I have always watched the nests on my computer up until this year.

And this is the live Ustream page that has more information on the Decorah North Nest. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/MbgzN2Kpajp Or if you have a Ruku or Fire stick you can watch them on YouTube on your TV with your stick.

This is the original Decorah Eagle nest that I have been watching for many years. This pair of Eagles have a high success rate with there babies except sadly once the babies fledge the last two years they did not do so well surviving on there own. http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Deanna, Thank you for the links and explanation. I am watching the right nest. My confusion was because they were calling them D4 and 5, and not 1and 2. I appreciate your taking the time to do the research and post it.

They are doing great today. I am hooked on eaglets and eagle behavior now, thanks to you. You mentioned a couple years ago of watching them, but at the time I did not have my Roku stick, and my computer screen was so small. I would be lost without my Roku stick

Have a great day!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thanks to you I have my fire stick but I am thinking of getting a Ruku stick for our bedroom. I want to watch the Discovery channel and it is only on Ruku sticks.

I would watch the regular (original) Decorah nest buts it's not on YouTube. They are great parents.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Today was a good day for the babies. The mom still favors the older one, and feeds it more, but the little one is still getting enough to eat. Right now the dad is babysitting. I think he needs, a bath, a shave and a haircut!!!!! He looks a bit scruffy!!!

The stream I am watching is one that is Explore.com. they have many videos of other animals on YouTube. Maybe you will find the one you are looking for there.

From what I have read, Roku, does have more channels than the Fire.

Remove Ads