where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New Cockatiel questions

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lynn
    Thanks

New Cockatiel questions

I had a baby cockatiel that refused to take formula and was gotten in Nov at 7 wks and it died about month ago in March. She (Daisy) was formula fed till March and then just didn't want it and was eating great. She was not doing formula, was pecking at seeds, broccoli, romaine, apples, Corn on cobb,etc and was plump and yet the vet said died of "starvation". I was like WHAT, she ate all the time. Now have new baby Freckles who i have had about a month and was supposedly 8 wks when i got him has not been wanting formula and i am terrified. He is peeking in the bowls all over the office which has Zupreem Select in them for parakeets and for cockatiels...there are like 5 bowls around this room plus he too is eating the fresh veg and fruits i put out i think.Can't watch him constantly while i work. I am limiting the millet cause the Vet said "it has no nutritional value, like feeding a kid cotton candy". How can i tell this one will not DIE like DAISY did. I am so worried. Lynn

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: New Cockatiel questions

At 8 weeks I think they still need to be hand fed. I do not think millet is as bad as what the vets are telling you. My lovebird had serious issues with his digestive tract and at times spray millet was the only thing he would eat for weeks. His vet told me it was not the perfect diet but it did give them some nutrition. I would give him the millet and then take it away for awhile so he will continue to eat the seed mix you are giving to him. I would also buy a gram scale which can be found for cheap these days on Amazon so you can closely monitor your babies weight. Get one soon just so you know.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,295 Posts

Usually breeders or pet shops do not sell baby cockatiels until they are about 12 weeks old. What formula did you feed Daisy. And how often did you feed her? Did the person you got the birds from give you any hands on info of how to feed them or what to feed them? Or did they say whether these birds were immediately pulled from the nest and hand fed, with no bird parents feeding them at all? Like breeding, hand feeding is no easy task. Newly hatched birds need to be fed by their bird parents. The food they regurgitate to feed them has natural enzymes, much like human breast milk has special nutrients that human babies need. It could be the breeder did not feed them as he or she should have for the first few weeks, and that is a possible reason why they already were in danger of not thriving as they should. There are some people and vets who do not support feeding millet, but I have to say millet is not a junk food. It does have good nutrition, and many baby birds the age of your birds have had millet added to their diet. It can be purchased in a food store in bulk seeds, or, it can be purchased as sprigs at a pet shop. Freckles is old enough right now to begin eating seeds and millet. Put some in your hand and get him used to eating just a few at a time Cook some oatmeal and mix some seeds in it. Take some small pieces of whole wheat bread and let him eat out of your hand. Take fresh apples, peel, and chop fine. Let him eat out of your hand. As you can see, when you feed other foods often, rather than formula, you are getting him used to the taste of fresh veggies, fruits and seeds, and other foods. Soon, he will realize the fresh and seeds will be his preference,

Personally, I would get a food scale and weigh Freckles every morning, and keep the record in a notebook. He should be gaining a little weight every few days, and never lose weight. He is old enough to begin eating some other foods. I would try different canned formula, and see if he would eat a morning and before bed time formula feeding with some millet seed and his regular seed mixed in for a few weeks. A bird should not need to have formula, if he is eating other good foods, well. But for Freckles right now, a couple of feedings for a few weeks along with new fresh foods will be great for him. You can teach him to eat seeds, and other fresh foods, only, and then the formula can be discontinued slowly, decreasing number of feedings a day. If he will not eat formula, then work every day with him, one on one, to get him eating fresh, several times a day. If it were me I would take time a couple of times a day, and work one on one with him. Pamper him and offer many different chiices for him to try.

Time and patience are on your side. Take a food chopper or food processor and take several different fresh veggies like kale, leaf lettuce, frozen veggies like carrots, peas, broccoli, etc. And chop in small pieces. Put some of this mix on a small plate, sprinkle some of his seeds on top, and place on a plate, putting on top of cage outside, and on the cage floor inside. Let him eat some of this mix out of your hand. You need to feed fresh foods every single day. Get him used to them, so you can discontinue the formula, within a few weeks. I suggest you feed it if possible, because he really should have stayed with the breeder and his parents until he was at least 12 weeks old. He needs the extra nutrients in the powder formula.

I also recommend a website called Cockatiel Cottage. There is great info about foods, feeding, and most any other subject you wish to read.

Do not lose heart. Try some of these ideas, and have the goal of weaning him from the formula in the next few weeks. I hope this info is of help to you.

And I am sending hugs to you because Daisy died.

Fly high and free Daisy. Over the Rainbow Bridge.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-25-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lynn
    Thanks

I am frustrated trying to post a picture
    Last edited by MetroMama62; 04-22-2017 at 07:29 PM. Reason: TRYING TO FIX PICTURE