Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Lovey the Lovebird

Name
    Kat
    Thanks

Lovey the Lovebird

I just got my lovey two days ago and he started playing just a bit and exploring more of his cage in depth, he even went over to my jenday conure's cage for a visit and played with him and of course ate some of his treats . I have two things on my mind that bother me on this new chapter of birdkeeping though...

Getting him from a petland in Norwin in my state of PA, I noticed when I had him out the next morning that he had a band of medium green coloring and it was plastic, it has nothing on it but the number 59. I have no idea where he really is from so I just today wrote the store and asked about getting the breeders info so hopefully I will know more soon.

His band however is looking rather tight and I'm looking into places that will do a leg band removal and or replacement for a low to free price range since I used all of my birthday money on him. I would love if I could get some advice on the matter asap cause I'm worried with the band looking so tight on his leg that he will have it hurt him or end up losing a leg! Can anyone help me figure this out? He keeps chewing and messing with it on his leg and it looks like there is very little room for it to even move...

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Lovey the Lovebird

Not that I have looked closely at bands lately but I never knew they had plastic bands. I hope it is not hurting him if its too tight. I know they try to make them tights so they would not be caught on anything and the only way people I have heard getting them off is going to the vets and having them cut off. This could get expensive so hopefully someone else here will be able to help you out with another way they get them off. Boomer did not have one but my sisters two big birds have one and they are tight but they are able to spin on there leg if you turn them.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Thanks

If all the band says is "59", then the breeder used it for their own records/purposes only. That number isn't enough info to track the bird back to them. Of course the store may know who the breeder is, but my point is the band is pointless at this point. I too have never heard of a plastic band for Lovebirds. My guess is a plastic band could be for smaller types of birds like canaries and finches, and that it probably is too small for your Lovebird at this point. I would call an avian vet and ask if they can just cut it off for you. They shouldn't charge you anymore than a nail trim fee. Or if there's a bird specific store that has a bird groomer, they could probably do it for you as well.

Here's a pic of my bird Bruinen. She was probably about 9 weeks old in this pic. This is the size of band that is used by the ALBS for Lovebirds. You can see clearly how it should be fitting.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi, I saw this thread and thought to post my recent experience with this too. I recently acquired two new lovebirds, and one of them also had a ring on their leg, my fiancÚ was worried it was too tight, even though the lovebird (Kiara) seemed fine and wasn't playing with it or trying to remove it or anything. We went to one vet, who examined her (not in front of us, took her to another room with a nurse), but when they came back mentioned they would need to put her under anaesthetic then remove it AND that it would cost $70 or so! We went to another vet (this other vet is not specifically avian or anything but is fairly knowledgeable in birds), and she took it off with special scissors and it only costed $22! The vet visit was less than 10 minutes! She got my fiancÚ to hold her firmly, with a towel, and covered Kiara's face too so she wouldn't feel scared or squirmy, and then snipped it off, so simple, but off course she was careful as well, for the first 30 seconds Kiara was moving a bit, and I think covering her face helped her stopped so the vet could snip the ring off.

It should not be expensive to do this, but I recommend finding a vet who is comfortable with birds and handles them very well, hopefully this kind of vet wouldn't charge too much, as Tim mentioned, it should only be the cost of a nail trim as its not a big procedure. But seeing as you have seen your bird actually playing with the ring he may feel uncomfortable with it and if you can maybe you can find a vet asap who can take it off immediately, without charging too much or who could maybe at least create a short term payment plan or something like that for u to pay it off slowly.

I think it depends on the breeder as to what each ring means sometimes it can be for date of birth or for the year or season, or it could refer to whether they are male or female. The ring on Kiara's foot was blue but had no writing on it, we were thinking it meant she was a boy (honestly still not sure if shes a boy or girl!) but we were able to track the breeder down, as the birds were given to us by my fiancÚ's boss, whos friend had given it to him so he was able to ask his friend the name of the breeder, so we contacted the breeder and found out the blue ring meant she was born between june-september last year, so now we have some kind of estimate of her age being 7 to 10 months old.

I hope this helps! And hope your able to find a good vet who can take the ring off for you for a lower price as well. Please keep us up to date on little Lovey.

Laila

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

My breeder used plastic bands

Sammy removed his in days - but his sister and cousin wore them for years that I know of - til losing contact. But if it looks tight, it probably is. Not sure I'd worry about replacing it though... unless you can get one with your name/address - I'm not sure I really see the value of them...

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

A friend of mine's bird had her leg amputated due to a band cutting off the circulation to the leg (she was on holidays for weeks and the bird injured the leg a bit, the person taking care of them didn't see the leg). That's about all I have to add, but personally I'd be going to a vet to get it taken off if it looks tight

Name
    Bev
    Thanks

my vet doesn't like bands she takes them off before any problems arise

Remove Ads