Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Snitch went to the Vet!!

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Snitch went to the Vet!!

While we were away last weekend (and I noticed it a bit before we left) the feathers around her right eye got stuck weird. At first I thought they had dried funny after a bath, but my mom noticed it got worse. I looked online when she came home Sunday and it seemed to me as though she had a sinus infection. The feathers were not gone, and the skin underneath was not discoloured, but you could see the skin around the eye. So I booked our girl a visit to the vet (which I had been meaning to do as a check up anyhow when life got simpler - yeah right, like that was going to happen). On Thursday we attended the funeral of our friend's daughter who was 27 and was 9 months pregnant and was murdered by her husband - it was a beautiful service but the circumstances were horrific and painful and I am done with death. I'm 40 years old and never believed such a tragedy could happen to someone I know. So I was a little distracted by this myself. This was the reason I hadn't made plans until last minute for Snitch for Easter weekend. So....Tuesday after work I picked up Snitch in her cage and put her in the car. 1st traffic light I looked back at her - sitting on one perch. 2nd light - sitting in the other perch. 3rd light - she was sitting eating broccoli - she was FINE. lol. When the vet took us into the exam room he caught her, put her in a little metal basket, and weighed her. 23g - perfect. She escaped and had to be caught flying around the room when he tried to take her out. I had warned him this would happen. He is very experienced with birds. She tried to bite him a lot - which she doesn't do with me. Thank goodness she is tiny and her bites don't hurt! She got a full feel down from him - feeeling her body and abdomen and looking at her feet. He was very pleased with her physical check up. She escaped again and had to be caught - a whoosh of yellow back and forth in the tiny exam room while the vet tried to catch her and the nurse and I stood back against the wall to stay out of their way. It was hard not to say "let me do it" but he had it as under control as an escaped canary can be. Hahaha. He and the nurse said they had never seen such orange bright markings on a yellow canary and told me her colour is very unique with the white frosting and he thought I might be colour feeding her - which I am not. He swabbed and showed me her right nostril compared to her left. It was moist and a bit mucousy. He said the eye part was due to her rubbing her face and the "snot" basically was crusting her eye feathers and making them not fall flat like they should around her eye. He looked inside her mouth and showed me the slit and that nothing in there was red or irritated and there was no mucous in her mouth. So it hadn't gotten bad by the time I took her in, and there was no secondary infection. He gave me antibiotics to give to her - and administered the first dose in the office. So...I have a tiny tiny syringe and a tiny bottle of strawberry flavoured enrofloxacin suspension - and I have to catch her, pet her beak open and get that syringe into the bottom of her mouth and administer it slowly and upright so she doesn't aspirate. She hates this more than I have ever hated anything in my lifetime. And I have to do it TWICE A DAY for 15 DAYS! Poor bird. The first morning she was sleepy and mellow and I caught her easily. This morning I hadn't even opened the cage door and she was already whirring about like a Tasmanian devil with wings. It's not doing much for her comfort level with my hands for sure....but I am hoping she gets used to it and at least opens her beak for it after a couple days of this instead of becoming MORE stubborn.

So, the moral of the story is 1) know your bird. If I hadn't been so close to her and attentive even amid life's huge distractions, I wouldn't have caught this so early. I work full time and am in the midst of adoption courses and home studies so we can be ready to adopt a child. I have less than no time for anything - and I make time for my Snitch. 2) If there is ever a doubt and you are not sure there may be something wrong with your pet - take it to the vet. Just do it. The vet bill is a small price to pay if it means saving her life or preventing an infection from compounding and creating worse problems. The vet said he had handled canaries before who were so sick that the stress of picking them up made them faint and one time killed the canary. The owner had waited too long and the bird was so sick that it didn't have the energy to deal with the stress of being handled and it died in his hand. Don't put a vet in that situation! Don't risk your bird's health or life. So important. 3) Snitch is going to be annoyed as hell for the next 2 weeks but she's going to be healthy. YAY!

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Re: Snitch went to the Vet!!

Missy, Good work and yes to everything. Canaries are the best at hiding problems, they are of course in nature prey or meals for most everything. This means they hide things very well. It takes an attentive parent specifically defined as knowledgeable of their bird and observant. 90% of all canary's who die, will have hidden whatever problem existed until it is just to late. Then most owners say I wish I had done something or known! When in fact all you could have done is pay attention for subtle small changes. Poop is one and a huge one, eyes are another as you have seen and discussed here. A lot of infections start as respiratory and grow into much worst. Like us and all animals the changes in seasons do create sinus problems, not in all but some.

Doing what your doing is great and don't worry about the handling and her hating it. This is totally up to you and your body language. Go in with confidence, not stressed or nervous, (OK, yea I know, easier said than done) but it matters. You know she needs her meds, and you know it is good for her, so own that as her mom. They pick up on your body language, and will know when you are meaning specific things when approaching. Strong, deliberate and purposeful, she'll realize and know you mean business. Speak to her as such, reiterating the need for the meds and why. She doesn't understand English, but this is for you to reiterate to yourself why your doing it and it's need. This will help you with your body language. Now, the complete opposite will occur when you approach her with greens or just to say hello, or any bonding time. Your voice and tone will be different and thus also your body language when approaching her. Those subtle differences she will pick up on right away. Again, they are prey, and they are pre-wired to observe the smallest of changes. Your body language will telegraph your intent a mile away. Be firm and confident and she will know.

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

It's very true. Confidence is key with most things in life. Nothing is more frustrating to watch than an indecisive driver or an indecisive bird handler. lol She's a bit more cautious when we go near her cage the past few days but by that I mean she hops to the back end of her perch and stares me down until she's satisfied I'm not there to dose her then she'll come forward and act normally. Decisive or not with catching her she's still a pain in the butt to grab and I swear she has been practicing her lightning fast evasion tactics. Four days in and she clucks that little "I hate this" cluck at me - but I feel more like she's saying "But Mom I don't want to!" Than "OMG you're going to kill me". And she kinda hops out of my hand after rather than flying away now - so that, to me, shows she's annoyed not terrified. It looks better already too. Only problem is when I try to wipe it with a wet swab to clean it she keeps drinking the water droplets off the swab. Lol

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Yesterday morning we had our adoption homestudy visit - the social worker comes to check out our home to see if we're suitable to adopt. We were sitting for 2 hours on the other side of the room being interviewed. She squawked and sang - but even the social worker noticed that when I laugh Snitch makes a sound that mimics my laughter. Every time. It was funny...because of course that makes me laugh harder and Snitch mimics louder. She's definitely my bird. And she definitely has loads of personality.

Name
    Julie
    Thanks

Well my little boy is checked in for Wednesday for his first ever Vet visit check-up / nail clip to be honest i'm scared as my little boy enjoys to try and bite me any time I handle him. I just now need to catch him from this bigger cage thank you bird net for making my life ease, last day or so i'm been catching him and getting him used to being handled as I think it will help me learn to know when something is wrong.

You did well Missy in spotting something wasn't right and I hope what I am doing will help me learn that also.
    RIP Twitter may your song fill the heavens forever

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

Oh I am so happy you have him booked in! The more you handle them the more they see that you aren't doing it to harm them and it becomes an annoying yet routine thing for them. The vet, if they have ever (and hopefully they have!) handled a finch or canary is going to expect to be bitten. My vet laughed it off and said the hookbills are so much worse when they bite. I know you spend a lot of time and shower your guy with attention, so I am sure you would notice as well even a minor change like I did. Let us know how your vet visit goes, I am excited to hear!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy Snitches eye is getting better. It must be very hard to give a tiny bird medicine. That's to funny he mimics your laugh.

I have to say I am horrified that your friends daughter was murdered by her husband. How awful he killed her and her baby. I am very sorry this happened.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Missy
    Thanks

It was a shock to all of us. It's not only heartbreaking on a personal level because she was such a beautiful, kind and happy woman, but also on the level of shaking our faith in humanity. I mean, I can't understand how a human being is capable of such anger and violence. It just goes to show, though, that people need to run the other way at the first sign of abuse. It is never ok for anyone to make you feel unsafe.

Remove Ads