Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: The perch is apparently offensive

Name
    Marisca
    Thanks

The perch is apparently offensive

Hey everyone so I got a whole new flavor of weird with my feather baby. I don't know if it's normal or shes going insane like her mom so here goes:

Everyday she will run on the ground and forage around which is quite normal in general. Tears up the paper, eat the treats in between and everything that goes along with it. I thought it would be cool and fun to turn the whole cage floor into a foraging ground for her. So the weird part comes in where occasionally I would hear a hiss. I was a little lost at the start about where does this noise come from until I was watching her one day and saw it's her who is hissing. She forages and nothing is wrong but at the randomest moments she would look up at the perch or at something else and just hiss. It's entirely random and she isn't threatened or upset because she just goes right back to what she was doing. I don't know is she is training for an unknown combat or anything, but it's weird. It can't be inside or outside the cage because I completely bird proofed the room. The only thing wrong with the room is that she can get between a small gap between the wall and the cupboard, but she rarely goes there. There is not a thing I can make out that could account for this hissing. Any idea's/thoughts/comments/ other fids that does that?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Re: The perch is apparently offensive

Hens do hiss, and my thought is that it is something hormonal, maybe even related to egg laying. One hen tiel that I had, laid eggs often. She had a regular ritual where she would get to the bottom of the cage, pretend she was nesting, without eggs, sometimes hiss, if I came too close to the cage, and then take her grapenuts and cherrio treats, and line them up in a a straight line, on the far end of the cage floor. Within a couple of days, she would perch, as though a male had mounted her back, like they do when a pair mates, and then within a few days, she would lay eggs.

Welcome back.
    [/COLOR] I'm owned by my two sweet budgies, Muffin and Marlee.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    marylee
    Thanks

Hi ice tiger, i'm new here. I've had a female tiel for about two years, and now I have a male in separate cages. I'm finding that cockatiels are so very interesting. its hard to figure out what they may want or need. I say , just watch them and you can figure it out. They are the most interesting birds. The female, Cheeky, I got when I went into the pet store, grrr, I know. to get my parakeet some food. I saw cheeky, 9 months old at the time. all alone in a cage looking pitiful. so I bought her. I have learned so much about tiels. then comes Monty, who is older and has made it ' with the ladies' before. some day i'd like to put them together, but that will be a long time coming.
    Nice to meet everyone here and read your stories. thank you.

Name
    Marisca
    Thanks

@Maxollie: Thank you for your input. I have watched her some more and in all fairness I think she is fine. Maybe it is hormones, but thats okay. She has seemingly chilled out a little more, but I have also started spending a little extra time with her and I found that if I hug her close to me and give a extra bit of scritches then she seems to mellow out a lot more like a baby being soothed so maybe it's hormones. Maybe she just wanted me to love her a little more.

@Terbobun: Thank you for sharing your story. I was convinced by another member to try cockatiels and brought my first cockatiel feather baby home and I love her so much. She can be such a brat and she can sometimes make me shout for silence but I love her to no end. She can be cheeky yet she has a very curious mind that I enjoy a lot and sometimes when she is sleepy she will sqeek ever so softly and my heart just melts in seconds. I almost brought home another 1 about 2 weeks ago. Oh how beautiful it was. It was a snow white tiel. No idea what gender it was but it struck my heart because it was alone and sooooo beautiful. My biggest problem is that I honestly don't have the space for him/her. Oh how my heart still aches not being able to bring it home with me. I will soon be getting a massive raise in salary so if it's still there I can revisit the option of buying him/her. It would just need a bath because you can clearly see it has bathed in the water bowl and then waddled around in the food. I think it must have been carrots or beetroot because it had orrangy brown color and hints of dark pink.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

I've always had boy tiels, and am currently bird-sitting a female tiel for my friend. I can't believe how much she huffs and hisses at things just to make sure her opinion is known! Maybe it is just a girl thing.

Name
    Sam
    Thanks

I started out with a male cockatiel, & if one of my conures or budgies get to close to him he would hiss. Now I have 3 females & 2 males. The females hiss at almost everything. New perch..hiss, new treats..hiss, change cages...hiss. After a while now only my males will his at the the other birds if they get to close to their mates.

Remove Ads