Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: mean-*** lovebird

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

mean-*** lovebird

What's up everyone. My family has this lovebird, Lola, and she is ridiculously mean. We bought her from a bird store maybe 6 or 7 years ago; I'm not sure. After we had bought her, she HUNG FROM THE CHEEK OF THE CLERK WITH HER BEAK. Idk why we bought her (wasn't my choice psh). She has been mean since day 1. No idea why.

We used to have another lovebird, a male, but he died 5 years ago due to an accident. They were in separate cages the whole time, but sometimes they flew around our house together. She's always been mean and HATES human hands with a bloody passion. She hates fingers so much and she really hurts when she bites sometimes. Our other bird only used to nibble on our fingers and he actually liked people. He used go into my mom's hands all the time and she would pet him on his head.

Anyway, it probably hasn't helped that some members of our family tease her by putting our knuckles up to the cage and letting her attempt to bite them. She has a ****load of toys in her cage and a little tent where she rests at night. I think it's worth mentioning that I regularly "play ball" with her. I open the cage door (she doesn't attempt to attack my hand) and I take this ball with a bell in it, put it in the palm of my hand, and she grabs it with her beak. I watch her furiously swing it around until she is deeply satisfied with throwing it around; rinse and repeat. She seems to really hate human fingers. I'm not sure if it was a bad experience in the past or not (since I guess she's about 7 or 8 years old).

Does anyone know a solution to making her at least a little more friendly? I don't think it is because of the death of her male companion since she has always been mean. Her voice can be wretched sometimes, but other times it is nice. I've read other posts where they say there's no such thing as a mean lovebird... idk about that. She may just be defending her little tent, but I highly doubt it; she is bred from pure evil. But evil sometimes can be a little nice, y'know? Like those old cartoon villains. Thanks in advance for any help.

Name
    Bev
    Thanks

Re: mean-*** lovebird

I have 2 lovebirds the male is a sweetheart the female is another story very bratty always looking to bite I also would appreciate any suggestions

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 1,258 Posts

Well, birds and animals pick up on our behavioirs and the way we treat them. It appears to me you have helped to make her aggressive, by the way you have played with her, encouraging her to be aggressive, and then turing it back on her by calling her evil.

That really is no way to treat her. She is a beautiful bird. All birds are afraid of hands, many never get over that fear. And your attitude towards her has caused her to be as she is. Quite frankly, I doubt you will ever be able to stop her from biting.

The best solution, in my view, is for her to be rehomed to a bird rescue, adoption center, or a person who will love her, be kind to her, and not treat her as an evil bird. The Universe created beautiful birds. Not ONE bird on this planet is evil. NOT ONE!
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-28-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Some lovebirds just never accept peoples hands coming near them. Boomer was a biter and would attack you if you tried to put his hand in his cage at all. He drew blood on me many times. But once he was out of his cage he was a changed bird and liked sitting on my shoulder and would even let me snuggle him at night when he was ready for bed. They can be really odd birds. I think your family teasing him has made you girl super cage aggressive and also made her want to attack and bite. I do not think it will change because she is so old now. You can sit by her cage and softly talk to her, maybe offer her some millet but if she is that cage aggressive she may never change sense she is a older bird now. All birds can be mean but they also can be nice birds as well. She just needs to be treated kind, with slow motion moves toward her. Given lots of treats with your evil hands and talked sweetly too. I am happy she will play ball with you with the little bell. Bells really do make them want to throw them around and beat them up. My daughters conure will do it and then gaze into the shiny bell and get way too excited and just grab it and shake it like crazy again.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Muhammad
    Thanks

I have a female lovebird and she BITES like CRAZY for no darn reason. And the worst is she loves people petting her, but sometimes she will just bite. The only solution is that there is no solution. You just have to go along and when she bites pretend you don't notice it and go along with the weather. ANd DO NOT scream. ANd when she is in a biting mood don't pet her. Until she gets out of it.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

trust me that is how the lovebirds act, i dont know y, but the love birds females are so mean, i am talking with experience.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Sounds like this bird is going to stay mean. Do keep your fingers and hand safely away from giving her a chance to bit you. She also draws blood. Means she is biting hard. I have only had 1 bird that was bite happy as your bird is. I never did have any luck in curing her biting ways. She could draw blood, and for a small bird, could also hurt with her beak when biting.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

just an update. she died lol

Remove Ads